Author Topic: Giant Grocery Chain To Rollout Robots To 500 Stores  (Read 1173 times)

rangerrebew

Giant Grocery Chain To Rollout Robots To 500 Stores
« on: January 23, 2019, 02:50:19 pm »

Giant Grocery Chain To Rollout Robots To 500 Stores
Giant Food Stores

Posted By: Russell Redman January 22, 2019

Robots are invading grocery stores throughout America. “Marty” is a limited-purpose robot but will still replace a number of entry-level jobs that are so important for teenagers just entering the workforce. ⁃ TN Editor

Ahold Delhaize USA plans to deploy robots to nearly 500 Giant Food Stores, Martin’s and Stop & Shop locations to help improve in-store efficiencies and safety.

The company’s Retail Business Services (RBS) arm said Monday that the rollout, slated to continue through the early part of 2019, comes after successful store pilots of the technology. The initiative stems from a partnership between RBS and retail automation and robotics provider Badger Technologies, a division of Jabil.

https://www.technocracy.news/giant-grocery-chain-to-rollout-robots-to-500-stores/

rangerrebew

Re: Giant Grocery Chain To Rollout Robots To 500 Stores
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 02:51:08 pm »
Do the HAVE to pay them $15/hr. :whistle:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:04:40 pm »
Do the HAVE to pay them $15/hr. :whistle:
Hmmmm, replacing workers and their taxes, now that's a crisis democrats will scramble to fight, that's something vitally important not like that pissy little national security border thingy.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:07:57 pm »
Hmmmm, replacing workers and their taxes, now that's a crisis democrats will scramble to fight, that's something vitally important not like that pissy little national security border thingy.

This is another issue facing social welfare programs. Robots don’t pay taxes. But you don’t have to pay them $15 an hour, they don’t call in sick every weekend, they don’t go on strike……
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 05:29:11 pm »
This is another issue facing social welfare programs. Robots don’t pay taxes. But you don’t have to pay them $15 an hour, they don’t call in sick every weekend, they don’t go on strike……
Have no holidays, no need to sleep, can work 24/7, have no life outside work, no families to feed.

It won't be long before the only jobs available will be in health care.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:37:54 pm »
Cool. Giant is one of the better grocery stores. They are based in PA.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 05:49:10 pm »
Have no holidays, no need to sleep, can work 24/7, have no life outside work, no families to feed.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:38:39 pm »

Don't be surprised if one day you're wheeled into the emergency room by Robbie the Robot.
And he'll double as the doctor operating on you. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:39:44 pm by goatprairie »

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 03:55:38 pm »

That's a cute poster and brings to mind management seminars I was force to take almost forty years ago for McDonald's. In one they expounded how you as a manager couldn't really motivate anyone, it had to come from themselves. Then in a general session they played blaring music and flashed subliminal messages in the presentation in an attempt to motiviate us so I walked out. The ones responsible for my group asked me in the morning why I left so I told them the presentation gave me a migraine.

For the rest of my time with MickeyD's the pinheads at the top pushed plan after plan to motivate the employees. Funny because while Ray was alive everything worked the ways he set it up, you worked hard you got rewarded, you jerked off you got fired................basic motivation.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 04:02:08 pm »

And that is short term. Over half of the population is already lobotomized.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 06:53:04 pm »

Not so sure. It's just a matter of time, before robots replace most of our workforce.  Certainly they could have robots taking vitals which could be recorded to the patient record, robots could empty bed pans, etc.  Recently I read an article that indicated that a robot self taught itself how to play chess.  So I don't think its unfeasible for robots in the very near futre having the ability to evaluate and treat patients and decide who lives or dies.  God help us all.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:19 pm »
Not so sure. It's just a matter of time, before robots replace most of our workforce.  Certainly they could have robots taking vitals which could be recorded to the patient record, robots could empty bed pans, etc.  Recently I read an article that indicated that a robot self taught itself how to play chess.  So I don't think its unfeasible for robots in the very near futre having the ability to evaluate and treat patients and decide who lives or dies.  God help us all.
Shades of Asimov's Caves of Steel.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 07:11:00 pm »
As interesting as this sounds, I can only think of the meme.....  "What Could Go Wrong?" 

Or...   will this all go on, after hours, where customers won't trip, suffer pinch point injuries, etc. with these devices.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 10:05:28 pm »
Things didn't work out so well for the robots in Japan's robot hotel.  Half lost their jobs and were replaced by humans.

Sorry...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 01:13:58 am »
The robot:

It's function:
"Named “Marty,” the robots are being used to flag hazards — such as liquid, powder and bulk food-item spills — and report when corrective action is needed. RBS said the robots help stores reduce the risk caused by such spills, freeing up store associates to spend more time serving customers."

Doesn't seem like much of a threat to anyone currently employed by Giant.
Not yet, anyhow...

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 01:21:02 am »

"Cleanup in Aisle 9...."
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 01:37:52 am »

Maybe the robots can learn to play midnight basketball !!

It keeps em of da street, and keeps em off da government teat !!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln