Author Topic: Rubio: I Will Fight Trump Declaring National Emergency for Border Wall  (Read 875 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Rubio: I Will Fight Trump Declaring National Emergency for Border Wall
Breitbart, Jan 27, 2019

[...]

Partial transcript as follows:

TODD: You have said you are opposed to the national emergency option. In three weeks, I know you have no appetite on either side of the aisle for another shutdown. So if that’s the only way to keep the government funded, he goes national emergency, how defiant are you on this option? Will you fight the president on this or not?

RUBIO: I don’t think it’s a good I think it will be a terrible idea. I hope he doesn’t do it.

TODD: But would you fight him on it?

RUBIO: Sure. Because I think it’s important. Look I don’t think we will have to fight. I’m not sure they will do that. I know it’s an option they looked at. But now you are at the mercy of a district court and ultimately an appellate court. It may not withstand if you look at some of the other rulings we have seen. The other is the precedent it would set. It’s not a good precedent to set. It doesn’t mean I don’t want border security. I do. I think that’s the wrong way to achieve it. It doesn’t provide certainty. You could wind up in a theatric victory at the front and not get it done. The best way to do it is to have a law that funds border security so we know it’s going to happen.

More w/video:  https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/01/27/rubio-i-will-fight-trump-declaring-national-emergency-for-border-wall/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Rubio: I Will Fight Trump Declaring National Emergency for Border Wall
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:52:47 pm »
The GOP talking point this morning was:  "We don't want to set a precedent".

I can't figure out the deal they're setting up here, but it involves tying the President's hands.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:53:18 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:45 pm »
The GOP talking point this morning was:  "We don't want to set a precedent".

As if the Rats wouldn't do it, anyway.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:57:29 pm »
As if the Rats wouldn't do it, anyway.

I agree ... and it's been done dozens of times by several presidents.

I'm getting a queasy feeling that something's being ironed out that the President and we will not like.  And our side (OUR SIDE) is telling the President not to there ....

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 08:58:20 pm »
   I agree @dfwgator If the dems gain the Senate in 2020, the first Legislation Majority Leader schumer will do is 'Full Nuck Option' for everything.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:04:47 pm »
You could wind up in a theatric victory at the front and not get it done.

That's all Trump cares about.  It's the ratings, now go get some water. 88finger point

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:16:26 pm »
RUBIO: Sure. Because I think it’s important. Look I don’t think we will have to fight. I’m not sure they will do that. I know it’s an option they looked at. But now you are at the mercy of a district court and ultimately an appellate court. It may not withstand if you look at some of the other rulings we have seen. The other is the precedent it would set. It’s not a good precedent to set. It doesn’t mean I don’t want border security. I do. I think that’s the wrong way to achieve it. It doesn’t provide certainty. You could wind up in a theatric victory at the front and not get it done. The best way to do it is to have a law that funds border security so we know it’s going to happen.

He’s correct about the precedent. The issue with a legal challenge won’t be over authority to declare the emergency, but over the re-allocation of money. The challenges will take time. Even if SCOTUS decides in favor of the executive branch, under the 1976 law, the legislative branch can block the declaration. The legal battle will give them time to gauge opinion and gather support. Even if the measure was defeated through the court or legislative action, the precedent is set for the next president to make a declaration on their pet project, such as gun control or healthcare.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 11:38:40 pm »
K Street has issued it's orders and they WILL be carried out.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:41:13 pm »

He’s correct about the precedent. The issue with a legal challenge won’t be over authority to declare the emergency, but over the re-allocation of money. The challenges will take time. Even if SCOTUS decides in favor of the executive branch, under the 1976 law, the legislative branch can block the declaration. The legal battle will give them time to gauge opinion and gather support. Even if the measure was defeated through the court or legislative action, the precedent is set for the next president to make a declaration on their pet project, such as gun control or healthcare.

or Climate Change..

I think Trump should do it the old fashioned way. The go through Congress part that was setup by our Founding Fathers.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:30 pm »
or Climate Change..

I think Trump should do it the old fashioned way. The go through Congress part that was setup by our Founding Fathers.

What he’s likely to get is a bill for ‘border security’ that includes tons of things, except funds specifically for a wall.

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 11:49:08 pm »

The Gang of 8 is still strong in that boy.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 11:50:23 pm »

What he’s likely to get is a bill for ‘border security’ that includes tons of things, except funds specifically for a wall.

Probaly since Mexico is going to pay for it.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 11:54:50 pm »
I am not familiar with this Rubio guy. There used to be a Senator Rubio who swore to everyone he was done with politics after he embarrassingly flamed out in a Presidential run.

Marco Rubio Says He Won’t Run for Re-Election — or Governor in 2018

https://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/03/17/marco-rubio-says-he-wont-run-for-re-election-or-governor-in-2018/

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 12:03:04 am »
   I would certainly acknowledge that the Tea Party make some mistakes in Endorsements in the 2010 election cycle, Hindsight is always 2020, which I incidentally think would make a Great Bumper Sticker for Sen. Cruz later this year.

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 12:05:21 am »
K Street has issued it's orders and they WILL be carried out.

So... in actuality, there's no real point in voting?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 12:07:15 am »

Sure looks that way.

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 12:13:11 am »

People like Steyer and Soros run the Democratic Party and the GOP is controlled by the Koch Organization and the Chamber of Commerce. Both are subservient to Wall St entities like Goldman Sachs.

Online libertybele

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 01:48:37 am »

He's not getting squat for anything border related guaranteed.  Open borders is what DEMS want.  It increases their voting base.  Game over.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 01:52:30 am »
He's not getting squat for anything border related guaranteed.  Open borders is what DEMS want.  It increases their voting base.  Game over.

He’ll get offers including money for BP agents, port of entry upgrades, and tech....but no barrier funding.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 03:14:15 am »
RUBIO!

Sorry...