Author Topic: McConnell Steps Into Shutdown Fight, Scheduling Dueling Votes  (Read 385 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
McConnell Steps Into Shutdown Fight, Scheduling Dueling Votes
« on: January 23, 2019, 01:05:36 am »
WASHINGTON
Now Mitch McConnell has joined the game and suddenly, things have changed.

The Senate majority leader, who until late last week had been virtually invisible during negotiations to re-open the government, announced Tuesday the Senate will vote Thursday on President Trump’s pitch to fund his border wall and end the partial shutdown.

And under the Senate rules, if it does not pass, there will be a separate vote on a Democratic-backed package to open up the government immediately — but not give Trump the money for his wall.

https://www.kentucky.com/latest-news/article224910340.html#storylink=cpy
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: McConnell Steps Into Shutdown Fight, Scheduling Dueling Votes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 01:25:04 am »
The Thursday votes, at least, will give everyone clues as to what senators are willing to buck their parties. Should a handful of Republicans back the Democratic plan, for instance, the vote would suggest a few more Republicans could side with Democrats in exchange for concessions.

The votes also give each party new talking points in a different way — if both proposals fail, each can argue the opposition is blocking a good faith effort.

Keep an eye on who crosses over.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: McConnell Steps Into Shutdown Fight, Scheduling Dueling Votes
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 02:14:24 am »
The Thursday votes, at least, will give everyone clues as to what senators are willing to buck their parties. Should a handful of Republicans back the Democratic plan, for instance, the vote would suggest a few more Republicans could side with Democrats in exchange for concessions.

The votes also give each party new talking points in a different way — if both proposals fail, each can argue the opposition is blocking a good faith effort.

Keep an eye on who crosses over.

For once, I would like to see EVERY GOP senator stand with the American people and this President.  Wishful thinking, I know.

Crossovers?  Murkowski, Collins, Romney, Graham and Rubio ... bet ya.... maybe even the Turtle.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.