Author Topic: Hoyer says 'sure' when asked if Trump can deliver SOTU, despite Pelosi's objections  (Read 327 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Hoyer says 'sure' when asked if Trump can deliver SOTU, despite Pelosi's objections
Fox News, Jan 22, 2019, Gregg Re

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told Fox News' "Your World with Neil Cavuto" on Tuesday that he would have no objections to President Trump delivering a State of the Union address in the House of Representatives on Jan. 29, despite House speaker Nancy Pelosi's repeated threats that the traditional speech be delayed.

[...]

Fox News has learned that the White House sent a letter to the House Sergeant at Arms asking to schedule a walk-through for next week’s planned address. This comes after a previously scheduled walk-through last week was canceled at Pelosi’s request.

According to multiple sources, it remains unclear whether the address scheduled for Jan. 29 will, in fact, go forward, or where it would be.

Asked by host Neil Cavuto whether Trump can legally request to deliver the State of the Union in the House over Pelosi's objection, Hoyer indicated that he could not. Although Pelosi has not formally disinvited Trump from giving the speech, she has suggested a speech would not be a good idea and should be delivered only in writing.

"Within his right -- now that's a technical term, and the answer to that is no," Hoyer responded. "The president comes here at the invitation of the Congress, and particularly the House, to address the Congress of the United States."

Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution also grants the president the ability “on extraordinary occasions” to convene either or both chambers of Congress. But that provision hasn't been utilized since 1947 and 1948, when President Harry Truman explored this option twice, and "convening" does not necessarily mean Trump would be allowed to speak.

More:  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hoyer-says-sure-when-asked-if-trump-can-deliver-sotu-despite-pelosis-objections

Online Right_in_Virginia

Is Hoyer angling for Speaker??

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Is Hoyer angling for Speaker??

Perhaps.  I would think most would realize by now, that Nancy has seen better days and its just a matter of time before she will need to step down.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.