Author Topic: The 12 Best Country Songs of All Time  (Read 18660 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: The 12 Best Country Songs of All Time
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 03:29:51 pm »
You could make the case for "Wildwood Flower".
That one has a bit of an attachment for me.
It was one of the first songs I learned on Guitar.
My Uncle Lenos taught it to me.
Uncle Lenos was a WW2 vet, in the 3rd Army, Patton's, that relieved the 101st Airborne at Bastogne.
I loved that man.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2019, 03:39:58 pm »
We agree.

:beer:

Those of us older folks remember a time when everyone listened to the same top 40 a.m. music stations. They spun everything from rock, soul, pop, movie sound tracks, country and western, blues, even light classical arias....Nearly all genres. And this provided us exposure to the whole gamut of musical experiences.

Nowadays, because of changing technology, the kids hear only one or two styles of music: bad and worse.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2019, 06:58:32 pm »
Kris Kristofferson has written many songs with powerful lyrics.  He's a poet at heart.  This is the first song he ever wrote, and the phrasing is remarkable (until the chorus, lol) considering he was 11 years old:

Sorry...

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2019, 07:08:32 pm »

Those of us older folks remember a time when everyone listened to the same top 40 a.m. music stations. They spun everything from rock, soul, pop, movie sound tracks, country and western, blues, even light classical arias....Nearly all genres. And this provided us exposure to the whole gamut of musical experiences.

Nowadays, because of changing technology, the kids hear only one or two styles of music: bad and worse.

I agree. I lot of life in general has become like that now, hasn't it?
That's sad.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2019, 08:42:00 pm »
Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton all wrote their own songs, Willie Nelson too. That places them higher on the list for me. That is being a more of the full package.

If the author has to exclude whole genres, Bluegrass which Wildwood Flower is somewhat related on or San Antonio Rose by Bob Wills for Texas/Western Swing, that's okay. "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" by Scruggs and Flatts is legendary, I don't know if it is outright bluegrass but it's certainly related.

Yes, I knew Jim Reeves was more of a rockabilly singer in his early career.

I still say, the author basically named the top artists and one of their top songs.

At the least, with all of the sub-genres of country music, some even being rockabilly or more like rock music, I'd say something like the 12 greatest hits from 1980-2019 or something,

A lot of known pickers in the video below of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown":

Sorry...

The long haired hippy looking guy seems to be the only one who doesn't really play that main riff, others in the video are Scrugg's son, the Osborne Brothers and I'm sure others.

Elvis and Johnny Cash and many others made Sun Records legendary, you really shouldn't pick a non-Sun records song for Johnny Cash imho and he wrote a ton of great songs when he was with them, then, in the '60s and there's nothing wrong with it, he started catering to a somewhat more broader audience.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:46:57 pm by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2019, 08:46:25 pm »

Sorry...

Nobody, yet, George.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2019, 08:53:57 pm »

Sorry...

Nobody, yet, George.

This song certainly brings to mind, Conway Twitty, I'm not a big fan of his but he wrote his own songs and some were big hits, he had a real good streak so I have read of successful chart toppers.....

Sorry...

I'ts a great song, maybe just not my style of music.  And he's not on the list either...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2019, 09:00:58 pm »
Hated Country growing up.   I've grown to appreciate the classics over the years.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2019, 09:17:31 pm »
@GrouchoTex

Of course, the National Anthem is number one for me in the category of songs with an emotional trigger.

@aligncare

God Bless America pretty much defines "COUNTRY song".

Hank wailing about the whipperwills ain't bad either,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 09:20:46 pm »
@aligncare

@aligncare

This one is pretty good, as well!

Sorry...

Offline TomSea

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 10:37:06 pm »
Not bad,

But the man who shot Liberty Valance was the bravest man of all...

Sorry...

Johnny Horton as a songwriter (I think some recordings of him himself aren't the best per older recording techniques) imo, one of the best country songwriters ever for his short llife... man was a genius, "Sink The Bismarck" and so on.

Sorry...

Horton also wrote "One Woman Man" which George Jones does terrifically versus the original imho again. Come to think of it, he might have been co-writer on some of these, no matter...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:46:24 pm by TomSea »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2019, 10:55:47 pm »
Hated Country growing up.   I've grown to appreciate the classics over the years.

Same here. My friends and I used to make fun of it big-time.

Now, I’m blown away by how deep and soulful country actually is. Love it, as I do most musical forms and genres.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2019, 11:45:55 pm »
Don't know what is so hard about Country music, our small hometown boys had 27 number one country hits in one decade (41 overall)...

Always fun to brag about the kid my grandpa would pick up to take to school when he missed the bus becoming a big star... Randy was a pretty humble fellow for the most part. Most the band (except Jeff) were good ole boys. The drummer remains my fave (fallen out of grace with other members) because he is a die hard conservative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5LFYjtMnu4&list=PLi6Lnnwlr76zAy2tdUvcEBqEl7Fg4eG5B
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:55:25 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline TomSea

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2019, 11:58:19 pm »
Don't know what is so hard about Country music, our small hometown boys had 27 number one country hits in one decade (41 overall)...

Always fun to brag about the kid my grandpa would pick up to take to school when he missed the bus becoming a big star... Randy was a pretty humble fellow for the most part. Most the band (except Jeff) were good ole boys. The drummer remains my fave (fallen out of grace with other members) because he is a die hard conservative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5LFYjtMnu4&list=PLi6Lnnwlr76zAy2tdUvcEBqEl7Fg4eG5B

I think one would be hard put to find those 27 number one hits. These kinds of things are said about a lot of people but proving it (and 41 number one hits) is probably hard to prove.

And I know there songs pretty well, "My Home Is In Alabama", song for the workingman, whatever that would be, "18 wheeler", "Take me down" but I think when one is said to prove 27 number ones, it's going to be pretty hard... I think I'd be just as proud of Sonny James who came from Alabama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_(American_band)

Maybe they had those but they are also, often, pretty much pop like Britney Spears, George Strait.  I notice, they ddin't even make the guy's list either.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:02:01 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2019, 12:05:05 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Country_Songs

For all of those number ones, they didn't stay on top of the charts very long, see the chart.  I don't see one listed that way. I also heard a recent number one album had only like 897 sold copies, so music is on the wane a bit now.

Buck Owens, 16 weeks at number one with "love's gonna live here"... why isn't Alabama up there with any of their songs like this?

@Sighlass  So commericially successful but you post some of that techno music, how much of that has been number one?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:10:07 am by TomSea »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 12:13:26 am »
The Greencards...

(No, nothing about immigration  :bolt:)

Sorry...

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2019, 12:14:06 am »
I think one would be hard put to find those 27 number one hits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_(American_band)

Umm... your link you provided says "Alabama's biggest success came in the 1980s, where the band had over 27 number one hits"
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2019, 01:16:59 am »

Sorry...

That was me when I was 18.
Man if anybody can't see that his guitar is female. Then they are not seeing what I see.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2019, 03:48:27 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Country_Songs

For all of those number ones, they didn't stay on top of the charts very long, see the chart.  I don't see one listed that way. I also heard a recent number one album had only like 897 sold copies, so music is on the wane a bit now.

Buck Owens, 16 weeks at number one with "love's gonna live here"... why isn't Alabama up there with any of their songs like this?

@Sighlass  So commericially successful but you post some of that techno music, how much of that has been number one?
Country generally rotates more songs in and out of the top of the chart than pop. It's just the way record companies and stations do things.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline TomSea

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2019, 08:53:11 am »
Lame Country versus Real Country:

Lame, Alabama, 'Take Me Down Tonight':

Sorry...
Alabama too, with a few exceptions, might be another case, where they didn't write a lot of their own songs, like Garth and Strait versus artists who did like Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard.  They did write "My home's in Alabama" which is pretty good.

Real, Johnny Paycheck, 'Take This Job and Shove It':

Sorry...
Lame, George Strait, 'You Look So Good In Love':

Sorry...
Real, George Jones, 'One Woman Man'

Sorry...

Lame, Garth Brooks, 'The Dance':

Sorry...

Real, Johnny Russell, 'Rednecks, White Socks':

Sorry...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:14:49 am by TomSea »

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2019, 01:02:44 pm »
Lame Country versus Real Country:

Alabama too, with a few exceptions, might be another case, where they didn't write a lot of their own songs,..............

You might be right...... here is an Alabama song (Dixieland delight) that I think other people helped write /s... It is still sang (last time I remember was Oklahoma vs Bama championship game.... It can be painful to listen to.  wink777

NSFW warning...

Sorry...

P.S.. I'm an Auburn fan...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:16:53 pm by Sighlass »

Offline corbe

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2019, 08:09:15 pm »
   This would be on my Top 10.

Hank Williams, Jr. - "Country Boys Can Survive" (Official Music Video)

Hank Williams, Jr. - "Country Boys Can Survive"

@corbe

I actually met "Half-a-Hank" one day when I was living in Denver. I was sitting in a donut shop drinking coffee one day when a big-ass early 60-'s Caddy convertible came in and parked beside my Harley. Bright red,with steer horns mounted on the hood,and chrome-plated fake 6 shooters as door handles. This freak gets out all dressed in white with a big-ass cowboy hat and belt buckle,and comes in to get a coffee and a donut. Face looked funny even if you ignored the beard and  the glasses looking like something Elton John would wear,and I figured out later it was due to the plastic surgery he had after falling off a cliff while rock climbing. Didn't say a single word to the counter girl or to me other than "coffee and a glazed donut",and for some reason he looked scared even though she and I were the only two in there.

"Met" is probably too strong a word. I didn't figure out who this freak was under after he left,and all I said to him was "Hey",to which he nodded. I was mostly thinking about the Caddy,and how it would embarrass the typical street pimp to be seen driving something like that. Car is probably famous now and worth a gazillion dollars,but I wouldn't have it as a gift.

Half-a-Hank ain't bad,but he ain't his daddy.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:02:24 pm by sneakypete »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2019, 08:12:16 pm »
You might be right...... here is an Alabama song (Dixieland delight) that I think other people helped write /s... It is still sang (last time I remember was Oklahoma vs Bama championship game.... It can be painful to listen to.  wink777

NSFW warning...

Sorry...

P.S.. I'm an Auburn fan...

Wasn't it banned for a couple of years?  I think next year they're going to add "F Clemson!" to the chant.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:14:59 pm by dfwgator »

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2019, 08:28:58 pm »
Luchenbach Texas and some stupid Glen Campbell song the best country music ever?!? That is whack!

No Ernest Tubb, Bob Wills, Faron Young, Roy Acuff, Jim Reeves??? That should have just been titled some country songs.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan