Author Topic: The 12 Best Country Songs of All Time  (Read 18649 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 12 Best Country Songs of All Time
« on: January 20, 2019, 03:26:39 pm »

By Chris Queen January 17, 2019

Country music is the most American of musical idioms, alongside jazz. With a longer history than rock and roll or hip-hop, country has produced a powerful pantheon of memorable artists, albums, and songs.

Growing up, I pretended not to like country music, even though it was the music I heard my dad listen to the most (while my mom turned me on to the incredible pop and rock of the ‘60s and ‘70s). Nowadays, I’ve shaken that youthful pretension and will admit to enjoying most types of country’s many subgenres.

I also have to admit that compiling a list of the best country songs of all time is a daunting task. Such a long list of classics makes it tough to narrow down what stands head and shoulders above everything else. But I’ve managed to come up with a list that captures the best that country music has to offer.

You’ll notice that modern country music doesn’t really make this list. That was a tough decision for me, partially because so much of what’s popular in country today pales in comparison to the classics. But I also wondered if even the best of modern country – the Zac Brown Bands and Chris Stapletons of the world – have endured long enough to warrant a spot on a list like this. We may think so later, but not yet. Here’s the list, and I hope you enjoy it.

more
https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/the-12-best-country-songs-of-all-time/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The 12 Best Country Songs of All Time
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:38:07 pm »
uh huh

Sorry...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:50:10 pm »
But none of those have anything about mama, or trucks, or trains, or prison, or even getting drunk.

Sorry...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 06:47:01 pm »
"Okie From Muskogee", "Ode To Billie Jo",

It's not a bad article, I do think the author forced some of the choices,  picked famed artists and downplayed the "songs" aspect.

Sorry...

Skeeter Davis "End Of The World", I mean just to me, more enjoyable, better country than "Stand By Your Man"...

Sorry...

If it was just songs, I'd have to consider mega-pop hits as well, "Most Beautiful Girl In The World" or "Behind Closed Doors" by Charlie Rich.   And maybe "Mr. Bojangles" deserves consideration, it's close in genres to decide some of these.

Sorry...

Glenn Campbell, easily, 'Wichita Lineman' for me or pick one of his other hits over the one listed.

Best modern country song for me is 'Chatahoochee' by Alan Jackson though it rocks quite a bit as well.

Sorry...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:28 pm »
Hint: They don't have a "Snap Track"

Sorry...

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 07:44:54 pm »
By Chris Queen January 17, 2019

Country music is the most American of musical idioms, alongside jazz. With a longer history than rock and roll or hip-hop, country has produced a powerful pantheon of memorable artists, albums, and songs.

Growing up, I pretended not to like country music, even though it was the music I heard my dad listen to the most (while my mom turned me on to the incredible pop and rock of the ‘60s and ‘70s). Nowadays, I’ve shaken that youthful pretension and will admit to enjoying most types of country’s many subgenres.

I also have to admit that compiling a list of the best country songs of all time is a daunting task. Such a long list of classics makes it tough to narrow down what stands head and shoulders above everything else. But I’ve managed to come up with a list that captures the best that country music has to offer.

You’ll notice that modern country music doesn’t really make this list. That was a tough decision for me, partially because so much of what’s popular in country today pales in comparison to the classics. But I also wondered if even the best of modern country – the Zac Brown Bands and Chris Stapletons of the world – have endured long enough to warrant a spot on a list like this. We may think so later, but not yet. Here’s the list, and I hope you enjoy it.

more
https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/the-12-best-country-songs-of-all-time/

What? No "Up Against the Wall,Redneck Mothers",or "Lonesome LA Cowboy by New Riders of the Purple Sage?

The author did hit the high points with Jolene by Parton,I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry by Hank,and Crazy by Patsy Cline,though. Pure perfection.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:51:34 pm »
A list without the Hagg?  Say it isn't so! 

Sorry...

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:12:59 pm »
A list without the Hagg?  Say it isn't so! 

Sorry...

I agree. Did you know, not long ago, I saw a list of the 10 greatest country performers (or 50 greatest or whatever it was), #1 was Merle Haggard... so, it really shows how these lists vary.

The author's list isn't that bad but it almost seems like he took the most famous artists for the most part and then, picked their top song.

I'm not a huge Charlie Daniels fan but if one is talking about "greatest country songs" per popularity, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" is surely worth a mention too.

The list is subjective and to be discussed. This list is probably not as bad as a lot of them.

Also, the Coalminer's daughter probably deserves a shout too. Another singing artist I'm not the biggest fan of but that song was successful.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 09:26:19 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:38:24 pm »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 09:43:23 pm »
Hint: They don't have a "Snap Track"

Sorry...

I don't appreciate some of the tone of the modern country videos as well. That's not to talk the songs themselves down.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:47:15 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 09:45:57 pm »

Sorry...

Sorry...

Although this is gospel; I remember the first time I heard this one Sunday evening... I remember it to this day. Other good versions out there including one by Rickie Van Shelton, a somewhat more recent artists.

Gentleman Jim, also recorded in the Afikaaner language for those interested.  They can look it up.

"White Cliffs of Dover" by him is fine too even though this veers a bit out of country and Vera Lynn's original I probably still prefer.

Sorry...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:49:45 pm by TomSea »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 09:53:48 pm »
12 is just too small a number.

Sorry...

Sorry...

Sorry...

Sorry...

Sorry...
The Republic is lost.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 10:01:54 pm »

Although this is gospel; I remember the first time I heard this one Sunday evening... I remember it to this day. Other good versions out there including one by Rickie Van Shelton, a somewhat more recent artists.

Gentleman Jim, also recorded in the Afikaaner language for those interested.  They can look it up.

"White Cliffs of Dover" by him is fine too even though this veers a bit out of country and Vera Lynn's original I probably still prefer.

I still think of Jim Reeves as country, maybe more so BECAUSE of his varied success in other "categories".

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 10:25:47 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 11:00:25 pm »
 @Jazzhead

Until I Gain Control Again -Rodney Crowell

Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain - Willie Nelson

Yeah,those two. Also,Poncho and Lefty by Willie,as well as Seven Spanish Angels by Willie and Mr Ray Charles.

Speaking of Rodney Crowell,he,Willie,and Lyle Lovett (another great) were on a PBS "Songwriters Special" on teebee one night,and they each did their favorite songs that were written and performed by one of the others. Rodney Crowell sang "Until I Gain Control Again",and damned if he didn't have Willie crying before he was done. That was some powerful stuff he was putting out. Crowell is vastly underrated in my opinion. Check out his album with John Paul Stevens and Roseanne Cash that was recorded in a mansion (the Luck mansion?) in Memphis for some really,REALLY good singing and playing. You will be glad you did.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:44:28 pm by sneakypete »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 11:03:20 pm »
OMG,  how could I have forgotten El Paso, by Marty Robbins?!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 11:05:07 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bapPD-lPOXQ

Hank! Why do you drink?
Why do you roll smoke?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:06:23 pm by 240B »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:26 pm »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 11:15:20 pm »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 11:21:38 pm »
There are not 12 "best" C&W songs.  They all suck
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 11:27:26 pm »
@TomSea I was not familiar with "Suppertime" until I heard it on the Joey+Rory CD. What a nice song.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 11:30:54 pm »
I'm not much of a country music fan, but I like this:

Sorry...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org