Author Topic: President Trump's Rumored Potential Border Wall Deal Sounds Like Disastrous 1986 Immigration Comprom  (Read 18711 times)

Offline libertybele

Didn't mean to offend you @libertybele but it was somewhat disquieting to come on here and see you and others start wailing and gnashing of teeth because of a compromise that you knew was coming from yesterday.

I know you are passionate about the wall but no more passionate than Trump is.  I don't like DACA or Dreamers but we have those now and this is a short extension for them which will be worth it if we can get a compromise on the wall.

I would not presume to tell you what you stand for but I would presume to tell you that you are wrong to dismiss this compromise without giving it a chance.

Because we do live in the real world and there's no use in expecting we can magically get something from the dems that they are dead set against giving.

If the Senate passes this bill and it goes to the House and passes, it will at least be some movement and may end up being a good thing in the long run.

If I could give Trump super powers I would, but we can't do that.  What we can do is support him now.

Compromising and agreeing to amnesty in any form is WRONG! Losing our sovereignty will be the eventual result -- there is NO second chance on that. None.  Take a look at Germany and France. 

I do support President Trump's stance on the wall.  I do not support his offer of amnesty.  IF the DEMS agree to extending 'protections' to DACA for 3 years ... then what??  What do you think is going to happen if the DEMS get control of both Houses or the oval office. 

Secondly, the courts have already ruled for the extension of DACA protections ... so he's extending what the courts have already ruled on??  Pelosi has already pointed that out.

Thirdly, the Gang of 20 is supposed to be presenting their 'compromise' Monday -- Trump has already offered amnesty ... you can bet they will want even more.

BTW, silly to even suggest Trump has super powers.  Really @Emjay?  He's not a god.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Compromising and agreeing to amnesty in any form is WRONG! Losing our sovereignty will be the eventual result -- there is NO second chance on that. None.  Take a look at Germany and France. 

I do support President Trump's stance on the wall.  I do not support his offer of amnesty.  IF the DEMS agree to extending 'protections' to DACA for 3 years ... then what??  What do you think is going to happen if the DEMS get control of both Houses or the oval office. 

Secondly, the courts have already ruled for the extension of DACA protections ... so he's extending what the courts have already ruled on??  Pelosi has already pointed that out.

Thirdly, the Gang of 20 is supposed to be presenting their 'compromise' Monday -- Trump has already offered amnesty ... you can bet they will want even more.

BTW, silly to even suggest Trump has super powers.  Really @EmjayHe's not a god.

I remember in the beginning they were making him out to be a god.  Frank Cannon still does.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online corbe

I gave up explaining it over a year ago @Hoodat
   NT became just a stupid slur like all the others after Trump was elected, my big problem with that label (I've been assigned) is the people they hang on my yoke, this is my cross to bear, looking at you Mitt Romney and Bill Kristol (2 azzholes I never liked).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Only using the most hysterical definition of the word.  There is no path to citizenship involved, just some temporary deportation stays (for those that comply with the regulations).

Of course, one could say it gives them a couple more years to have anchor babies.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

It practically is his only option left, IMHO @libertybele
   That border has been there for 166 years and has never been an emergency, perhaps if he could just remove the incentive for them to come here by removing employment opportunities (Everify) and benefits (removing sanctuary city status) and address the Visa overstays by beefing up the Technology and more Border Personnel, that is my favorite option but neither the dems nor the GOP want that so it won't happen, declare the 'National Emergency', feed the peasants more Bread and Circuses, the more things change the more they stay the same.....etc......

@corbe
Great post.  As long as Trump demands a wall, and the rats demand no wall, they can wash their hands of the matter and point the finger of blame at the other side.  Then they don't have to hire immigration judges, build detention space, or any of the things you mention...all necessary parts of a solution.  Mean while our border patrol and coast guard work without pay and all of the Justice Department's immigration judges have been furloughed.

#MAGA

Offline Night Hides Not

@corbe
Great post.  As long as Trump demands a wall, and the rats demand no wall, they can wash their hands of the matter and point the finger of blame at the other side.  Then they don't have to hire immigration judges, build detention space, or any of the things you mention...all necessary parts of a solution.  Mean while our border patrol and coast guard work without pay and all of the Justice Department's immigration judges have been furloughed.

#MAGA

There's going to be hell to pay if these employees miss another paycheck. I'm referring to the thousands of GS-5 through GS-11s that are the pawns in this power struggle.

Both Pelosi and Trump are firm in their stance their actions are based on principle. Fine, just be prepared for the "pox on both your houses" that will come from the average American in flyover country (coastal states are mostly Democrat strongholds).

I'm with Trump on the border wall, fwiw.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Victoria33

I didn't hear it that way, maybe I missed something...
I heard two sets of temporary protection measures from deportation:
1.  for 700-800,000 DACA recipients, 3 years of legislative protection from deportation, same renewal program, work permits, etc.
2.  extend temporary deportation protection for 200-300,000 TPS individuals, 12-18 month renewals.  Like I said, I may have missed something, but that is all that I hoid on that front.
@EdJames

You have it right, he is giving only "temporary" extensions and that is why Dems will not agree.  He is giving them a small bit of the carrot that will go away in the near future.

I have a problem, and I don't see this as Dem or Republican, with sending children, no matter their age now, back to a country they do not know as they were brought here as children.

A number of you will jump on me about the children brought here against their will, but I don't see this as a "political" problem.  Consider yourself if you were taken, when a child, to another country and you grew up in this new country, your "world", your ties to your life are in this present world; it is all you know - I see it as inhumane to send you or one of these people to a new world where they have nothing. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I didn't hear it that way, maybe I missed something...

I heard two sets of temporary protection measures from deportation:
1.  for 700-800,000 DACA recipients, 3 years of legislative protection from deportation, same renewal program, work permits, etc.
2.  extend temporary deportation protection for 200-300,000 TPS individuals, 12-18 month renewals

Like I said, I may have missed something, but that is all that I hoid on that front.

Yes, he did not specifically mention amnesty in the plan, but he did in a later tweet. The fact he's potentially open to amnesty under a larger deal creates trust issues, especially with someone like Trump, who is prone to sudden, unpredictable shifts.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

No, Amnesty is not a part of my offer. It is a 3 year extension of DACA. Amnesty will be used only on a much bigger deal, whether on immigration or something else. Likewise there will be no big push to remove the 11,000,000 plus people who are here illegally-but be careful Nancy!

7:23 AM · Jan 20, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Corbe an NTer?  That's an odd thing to say considering all the times he commended Trump when Trump did something Conservative.

For the umpteenth time, (Not AT) is not the same thing as (NT).  Apparently, some people here are simply unteachable.

For Gosh Sakes @Hoodat   Corbe calls himself an NTer all the time.  YOU may be learning deprived.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@EdJames

You have it right, he is giving only "temporary" extensions and that is why Dems will not agree.  He is giving them a small bit of the carrot that will go away in the near future.

I have a problem, and I don't see this as Dem or Republican, with sending children, no matter their age now, back to a country they do not know as they were brought here as children.

A number of you will jump on me about the children brought here against their will, but I don't see this as a "political" problem.  Consider yourself if you were taken, when a child, to another country and you grew up in this new country, your "world", your ties to your life are in this present world; it is all you know - I see it as inhumane to send you or one of these people to a new world where they have nothing.

Thank you for a reasonable take on the situation @Victoria33   We have way too many people here who fail the 'reasonable' test.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump has already offered amnesty ...   

No, the President has not proposed or offered amnesty.

Offline jpsb

I absolutely agree.  We are inviting them.  But realistically none of these things are on the table.  And we have a liberal Congress.

@Chosen Daughter

I find it hugely ironic that all of you screaming amnesty refused to vote Trump and refused to help the
GOP keep the house. In essence YOU PUT THE DEMS IN CONTROL and now you want to blame Trump?
Yall are insane. 

Offline jpsb

Didn't mean to offend you @libertybele but it was somewhat disquieting to come on here and see you and others start wailing and gnashing of teeth because of a compromise that you knew was coming from yesterday.

@Emjay

Even during the campaign Trump said DACA people would be dealt with in a humane way. No way in hell
are we going to deport folks that grew up here and were bought here as little children. That is not
going to happen.

Offline edpc

No, the President has not proposed or offered amnesty.

Not formally, but the tweet from this morning, posted above, demonstrates he's not completely opposed to it.

Offline jpsb

Corbe an NTer?  That's an odd thing to say considering all the times he commended Trump when Trump did something Conservative.

For the umpteenth time, (Not AT) is not the same thing as (NT).  Apparently, some people here are simply unteachable.

@Emjay

@corbe is very much a NeverTrumper. IF he has ever commended POTUS I missed it and I'd bet dollars to
donuts he didn't mean it.

@Chosen Daughter

I find it hugely ironic that all of you screaming amnesty refused to vote Trump and refused to help the
GOP keep the house. In essence YOU PUT THE DEMS IN CONTROL and now you want to blame Trump?

For 2 years Trump had a GOP House and Senate and they just kept punting the ball.

Yall are insane.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Offline edpc

Even during the campaign Trump said DACA people would be dealt with in a humane way. No way in hell are we going to deport folks that grew up here and were bought here as little children. That is not going to happen.

Except at one time, he said they would be deported.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:20:53 pm by edpc »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline kevindavis007

Well if the outrage border pimps hate it, I like it.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Except at one time, he said they would be deported.

@edpc

You're going to hold post election Trump responsible for what he said about deporting the drug dealing Mexican rapists and murderers when Trump was a presidential candidate?  You might as well complain about President Trump failing to apprehend and incarcerate crooked Hitlery, or drain the swamp, or build the wall, reduce the debt, make great trade deals, repeal and replace Obamacare, and they other stuff President Trump no longer remembers promising.

@Victoria33
Not me.  I don't understand how a human being could disagree.

Offline edpc

Consider yourself if you were taken, when a child, to another country and you grew up in this new country, your "world", your ties to your life are in this present world; it is all you know - I see it as inhumane to send you or one of these people to a new world where they have nothing.

I would agree, except we live in an increasingly identity based, hyphenated American, Balkanized society. Regardless of circumstance, they are not American citizens. If anything, as a bloc, they’re the best hope for their native countries to change and be stable democracies.

Offline Chosen Daughter

@Chosen Daughter

Yall are insane.

I find it hugely ironic that you would say that.  I didn't refuse to help GOP keep the house.  Every person I voted for was Republican.  This is much better than I can say for Trumps family who couldn't even register in time to vote for him.  Take it even further Trump has hired his liberal son in law to be top advisor.  He hired Cohen who had to change his party in order to be part of Trumps legal team.  He hired Amorosa who worked for the Clintons.  All of which has contributed greatly to his own troubles.  And his closest Senate friend Lindsey Graham.  Lindsey is getting it from both sides because he has never been firmly Republican or Conservative.  The left is blasting him wondering what happened to him he doesn't seem liberal enough anymore. 

So that's the irony.  I suggest that you loose this false talking point about me and other people you describe as "NT".  Not true anyway.  I have spoken for and against Trump.  When he is doing good things you will sure hear me say so.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I would agree, except we live in an increasingly identity based, hyphenated American, Balkanized society. Regardless of circumstance, they are not American citizens. If anything, as a bloc, they’re the best hope for their native countries to change and be stable democracies.

Great point.

We have invested in these people.  Many have gotten help to go to college.  They know, unless they have been caught up in the gangs here what freedom is.  They should return to help their country of origin restore order.

Online Hoodat

I find it hugely ironic that all of you screaming amnesty refused to vote Trump

Many of these did so specifically because Trump supported amnesty during the campaign.  But then you knew that already.

.  .  .  and refused to help the GOP keep the house.

Not sure who here voted Dem in the last Congressional election.  Personally, I watched my district switch from R to D because the incumbent Republican was too arrogant to campaign.  It isn't our fault that the GOP lost the House.  It is THEIR fault for not delivering on what they campaigned to do.

In essence YOU PUT THE DEMS IN CONTROL and now you want to blame Trump?

Just curious, did you happen to smoke some very potent cannabis about 20 min before posting this?  Because you are straight up delusional if you think us Conservatives put the Dems in control.  On the contrary, it's because House Republicans chose to surrender their Conservative ideals in their quest to become Democrat-lite that the House was lost.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-