Author Topic: The Oldies Cat Box... 30s 40s and 50s ... Classics not soon forgotten  (Read 30485 times)

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Oldies Cat Box... 30s 40s and 50s ... Classics not soon forgotten
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2019, 11:26:11 pm »
Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2019, 11:29:24 pm »
Little Richard - Long Tall Sally

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2019, 11:35:42 pm »
The Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2019, 11:38:51 pm »
Let The Good Times Roll - Shirley & Lee

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2019, 12:02:02 am »
Leo Reisman - What Is This Thing Called Love?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor

Online andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2019, 12:29:45 am »
Great songs guys.... I always come back and listen to your wonderful selections.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online andy58-in-nh

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2019, 02:19:31 am »
The Isley Brothers - Shout

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 08:18:37 am »

Interesting Mix of mostly 50s songs (Thanks Pookie for info).... yes, this is not what you expect on a oldies thread but here is a DJ Mix of songs... Includes the below and a few samples for other songs not listed...

Rock Around The Clock – Bill Haley
Wake Up Little Suzie – Everly Brothers
Hound Dog – Elvis
Jail House Rock – Elvis
Summertime Blues – Eddie Cochrane
Splish Splash – Bobby Darin
Great Balls Of Fire – Jerry Lee Lewis
Do You Love Me – Contours;
Rockin’ Robin – Bobby Day;
Johnny B. Good – Chuck Berry

Various Artists - Dj Serg Extended Jive Bunny Megamix.mp3

https://mab.to/z81BoIEnt

9 minutes of fun...

3 Days Only
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:21:34 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2019, 08:02:26 am »
Bill Doggett -- Honky Tonk

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@Elderberry

Thanks for posting. Since this has been my ringtone for about 15 years, my natural reflex was to reach for my phone.  happy77 Then I realized I didn't have to answer the phone and could actually get down and get funky to the music. Never mind that it's almost 3 a.m. This and so many others give me the "can't help its" and I "can't sit down" regardless of the time of day (or night).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyaLX2dUTSU
(Shot of Rhythm and Blue by Arthur Anderson)

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2019, 11:28:42 am »
Thanks for posting. Since this has been my ringtone for about 15 years, my natural reflex was to reach for my phone.  happy77 Then I realized I didn't have to answer the phone and could actually get down and get funky to the music. Never mind that it's almost 3 a.m. This and so many others give me the "can't help its" and I "can't sit down" regardless of the time of day (or night).

@AllThatJazzZ

What an excellent selection for a ringtone! For many years, for a ringtone, I've used the Red Phone from the "In Like Flint" movie and for text I cut one of the "YOW!"s off the Zappa "Live at the Fillmore East" Album.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2019, 05:25:37 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

What an excellent selection for a ringtone! For many years, for a ringtone, I've used the Red Phone from the "In Like Flint" movie and for text I cut one of the "YOW!"s off the Zappa "Live at the Fillmore East" Album.

@Elderberry

Before "Honky Tonk," my ringtone was "Boot Scootin' Boogie." Funny story about that. I was in the produce department at Kroger when my phone began to ring. It took me a minute to fish it out of my purse and answer it. Just as I did, a woman who had moved toward the music said, "Oh, I wish you hadn't answered it. I wasn't through dancing to it!" She was someone I could completely identify with. :dancer:

Re your ringtone and text notification ... I'm not cool enough to be familiar with them. I went to YouTube to see what I could learn. Zappa is so not me, and the only "In Like Flynn" I'm familiar with was in the 70s and starred James Coburn. So, as you can see, I'm old, uncool and a bit stodgy (old fashioned) in my musical taste. It's okay. I own it. It's part of my charm.  :whistle:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2019, 05:40:13 pm »
@Sighlass

Obviously I didn't get here in time to enjoy the oldies within the 3-day listening window. That didn't keep me from sitting up till the wee hours of the morning singing a few lines from each song or sometimes an entire song of the ones you had listed in your posts. I'm a little hoarse today, but I had fun cycling through all those oldies. Thanks for starting this thread.

To @pookie18 and others who are posting links to YouTube. Would it be possible to provide a name and an artist when posting those links? It's so frustrating to click over and find that the video has been removed. If we had the info, we could go searching for the same version uploaded by another YouTuber. That's what I learned to do on my YouTube playlists. I always add the info about the video in the "edit" section of my playlist. Learned that lesson the hard way, but it's serving me well now as I can almost always find another upload.

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2019, 06:18:26 pm »
@Sighlass

Obviously I didn't get here in time to enjoy the oldies within the 3-day listening window. That didn't keep me from sitting up till the wee hours of the morning singing a few lines from each song or sometimes an entire song of the ones you had listed in your posts. I'm a little hoarse today, but I had fun cycling through all those oldies. Thanks for starting this thread.

To @pookie18 and others who are posting links to YouTube. Would it be possible to provide a name and an artist when posting those links? It's so frustrating to click over and find that the video has been removed. If we had the info, we could go searching for the same version uploaded by another YouTuber. That's what I learned to do on my YouTube playlists. I always add the info about the video in the "edit" section of my playlist. Learned that lesson the hard way, but it's serving me well now as I can almost always find another upload.

OK, @AllThatJazzZ, I will...

Here's one that has meaning for me since I lost my driver's license for drag racing when I was 18.

Transfusion by Nervous Norvus (aka truck driver Jimmy Drake):

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2019, 08:26:56 pm »
@Elderberry

Before "Honky Tonk," my ringtone was "Boot Scootin' Boogie." Funny story about that. I was in the produce department at Kroger when my phone began to ring. It took me a minute to fish it out of my purse and answer it. Just as I did, a woman who had moved toward the music said, "Oh, I wish you hadn't answered it. I wasn't through dancing to it!" She was someone I could completely identify with. :dancer:

Re your ringtone and text notification ... I'm not cool enough to be familiar with them. I went to YouTube to see what I could learn. Zappa is so not me, and the only "In Like Flynn" I'm familiar with was in the 70s and starred James Coburn. So, as you can see, I'm old, uncool and a bit stodgy (old fashioned) in my musical taste. It's okay. I own it. It's part of my charm.  :whistle:

@AllThatJazzZ

The Red Phone was used in both of the James Coburn movies "Our Man Flint" in 1966 and "In Like Flint" in 1967. I was told it was also used in an Austin Powers movie.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The Mothers of Invention "Freak Out" 1966 was the first album I ever bought. I followed Zappa off and on ever since.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2019, 01:22:18 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Raymond Scott Quintette - "Powerhouse"

Also known as that little ditty from countless Looney Tunes cartoons.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024