Author Topic: First Native American woman elected to Washington legislature wears traditional regalia at swearing-  (Read 8008 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There's a reason legislatures have historically banned all native costumes.  I believe it has something to do with a melting pot....from many, one. @Sanguine

@Right_in_Virginia

You are right,but showing up in ceremonial dress for an official ceremony is different than showing up wearing a costume every day. She needs to be put in her place if she shows up for elected office dressed as an American Indian every day because that would be the same thing as stating she is not an American and is working against America.

Where you come from,your roots,can be an entirely different matter when it comes to where you "are" today. Recognize your origins while working to secure the present for all the people you represent.

BTW,posting a photo of Bubbette's miini-me sitting beside an enemy of America in uniform is NOT the same thing as showing a photo of an ORIGINAL AMERICAN posing and showing up at a formal government event wearing the attire of her ancestors who also happened to be American's BEFORE there was an America.

Islam and it's bird-brained slavish followers are ENEMIES of America. American Indians are not.

For example,imagine someone of German descent show up to be sworn in office wearing a Swastika and a Nazi uniform during WW-2. THAT is the equivalent of what that raghead in the photo you posted is doing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:16:25 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There's a reason legislatures have historically banned all native costumes.  I believe it has something to do with a melting pot....from many, one. @Sanguine

Really?  You think this one is exemplifying America? 

Online rustynail

Which one is Big Chief Tablet?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Aren't Salish part of her constituency?  That is partly who she is representing.  If Greg Abbott shows up for his swearing in wearing a cowboy hat is that a bad thing?

In a way I agree with you.  It is however if they have an agenda because of it.  Like the Palestinian woman who wore her traditional garb.  She did it to make a point that she was Palestinian.  People either serve according to the Constitution or they are activists in office.  I think the Muslim will for sure be an activist for Palestinians in office.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We don't have a government, we have the Village People.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
In a way I agree with you.  It is however if they have an agenda because of it.  Like the Palestinian woman who wore her traditional garb.  She did it to make a point that she was Palestinian.  People either serve according to the Constitution or they are activists in office.  I think the Muslim will for sure be an activist for Palestinians in office.

It's a false equivalency.  "Palestinian" is antithetical to American ideals.  Salish is part of our ongoing history. 

Offline goodwithagun

This is the State of Washington not Washington D.C. The state can decide how its elected officials dress.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It's a false equivalency.  "Palestinian" is antithetical to American ideals.  Salish is part of our ongoing history.

Salish culture is American culture. This would be no different than if an Amish person wore their traditional outfit or if a representative from Hawaii wore a Lei.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Sanguine

Either one would be horrified to hear you even suggest such a thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Sanguine

Lookit at you,using all those big words,and stuff! I don't know nothing about your Aunt Ethel,but agree with the rest of it 100 percent!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Salish culture is American culture. This would be no different than if an Amish person wore their traditional outfit or if a representative from Hawaii wore a Lei.

@ABX

Not only true,but better examples than the ones I posted.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

Lookit at you,using all those big words,and stuff! I don't know nothing about your Aunt Ethel,but agree with the rest of it 100 percent!

Don't act like a rube; it's not believable.    wink777

Offline dfwgator

You didn't get the memo, the term "Melting Pot" is now considered racist.  It's a "tossed salad", now.

Offline dfwgator

There certainly are no "Macho Men" in DC these days.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yet we permit priests and pastors to wear the traditional garb of those who serve a different kingdom.  :pondering:

She's wearing American garb. It is the rest of the people there who are wearing some knockoff of European clothing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
When I saw her picture I thought of F-Troop and the Indian tribe (We're the) "Hekawi".  Was she working with O'Rourke Enterprises to sell her "authentic" souvenirs to tourists.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline berdie

Truthfully...when I first saw the pic...my first reaction was it's divisive.

But after reading this thread...it may not be bad.  It does have to do with American culture.

Offline LegalAmerican

.............Sadly...yes.    It will ultimately harm us.     :thumbsup:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
While the Village People have something in common with much of Washington D.C. :whistle:, I don't think a Salish Lady in ceremonial dress is significantly different from someone of European Descent wearing a (European Style) suit or Dress, with the exception, that her 'good clothes' are actually American in design.

That other stuff is just worked over eurotrash.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

That she actually bought at a gift shop at an amusement park
Remember those Cherokee Trading Post truck stops?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Right_in_Virginia

This is not the point @Sanguine ... Once one cultural/ethnic costume is permitted in American legislatures ... all must be. You don't get the luxury of picking and choosing.  This is one instance where it's none or all.  We've lived with none for 240 years, let's not bleep with it now....even if you happen to find it benign.

If you don't want Muslim garb .... then you can't accept Indian dress.

It's ....oh, what's that word .... ah yes, the *principle* needs to be upheld.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:58:12 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LegalAmerican

We are so screwed.  This is what diversity brings. AFRICANS?  BONE IN NOSE?  Grass skirts.  Scottish skirts?  Can the men wear Leder Hosen?  I saw a DRUM. DRUMMING. Are you guys kidding me?  Burka's.  Greek dress, with the pom poms and white hose.
More than ridiculous. 

Offline LegalAmerican