Author Topic: Salt Lake City: Police hunting for 3 suspects after shooting at Fashion Place Mall in Murray  (Read 1160 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Police hunting for 3 suspects after shooting at Fashion Place Mall in Murray
By Katie McKellar, KSL | Updated - Jan 13th, 2019 @ 6:20pm | Posted - Jan 13th, 2019 @ 2:07pm

MURRAY — Police are hunting for three suspects after a shooting Sunday afternoon at Fashion Place Mall, where two people were injured.

A man and a woman, both in their early 20s, were shot, Murray police officer Kenny Bass said. The man was transported to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition, while the woman was in serious condition, Bass reported. Later Sunday afternoon, the woman was released from the hospital after being treated, Murray police reported.

Bass said police believe the three suspects have fled the mall.

Read more at: https://www.ksl.com/article/46467795/3-suspects-at-large-after-fashion-place-mall-shooting-that-injured-2

Offline dfwgator

"Bass said he knew little information about the suspects other than they were wearing dark pants and light-colored hoodies or sweatshirts."

Uh-huh, riiiiiight!

Online mountaineer

Is that the same place there was a shooting several years ago?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Is that the same place there was a shooting several years ago?

I remember the one of which you are talking about. I do not know.

I think for that one of which you speak, a Bosnian refugee was arrested.... or killed. I think that is the case where someone had a concealed weapon and shot at him. I do remember that. I think he was stopped before anyone was hurt or seriously hurt.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:05:51 am by TomSea »

Online mountaineer

My bad. It was the Trolley Square Mall in SLC in 2007.
SALT LAKE CITY, Feb. 19 — At 1 a.m. last Tuesday, the parents of Sulejman Talovic called the police to report him missing. After watching television news coverage, they feared he might be among those dead or wounded in a shooting rampage at a mall here. One hour later, with the arrival of detectives, they discovered the shocking truth, that their son, 18, was the gunman.

In six minutes on the night of Feb. 12, Mr. Talovic shot nine customers at the Trolley Square mall, killing five and seriously injuring four others. The attack ended when the police shot and killed Mr. Talovic after he refused to surrender his 12-gauge shotgun.

Mr. Talovic’s motive remains a mystery, investigators say. ...
NYT

As for the most recent shooting in SLC, the Associated Press is reporting it may be gang-related.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Gang shootings rarely end like that. That sounded more like a terrorist attack.
Countdown to Resignation

Online mountaineer

... Police established a containment perimeter for several blocks surrounding the mall and began searching for three male suspects believed to be wearing dark pants and hoodies. ...

Police were reviewing mall surveillance videos in hopes of identifying the suspects. They say there’s reason to believe the shooting was gang-related. ...
I wonder what that "reason" might be.
More at Gephardt Daily, including video taken by a shopper - doesn't really show anything but you can hear the gunshots and his whimpering girlfriend as they run outside.

Offline Applewood

Well, there goes that mall.  Expect it to go under now that people will think it's not safe to shop there. 

The mall closest to me has a substation in it for the local police department.  The police aren't there all the time, but I believe just knowing there might be a presence seems to have prevented gangsta shootings at the mall.  If malls are going to survive, they must  take security measures beyond the handful of security guards most have now.  They are letting these punks run wild and it's destroying the malls.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I wonder what that "reason" might be.
More at Gephardt Daily, including video taken by a shopper - doesn't really show anything but you can hear the gunshots and his whimpering girlfriend as they run outside.
Article said five shots, I only heard 4. No extras, so it was likely someone was a specific target and known to the shooter. (Main victim and G/F wounded, her in the leg, him in the back and legs).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis