Author Topic: Illegal immigration, crime and laws: a case of 'Let's Pretend'  (Read 337 times)

rangerrebew

Illegal immigration, crime and laws: a case of 'Let's Pretend'
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:17:14 pm »
Illegal immigration, crime and laws: a case of 'Let's Pretend' | Opinion
George Korda, special to the News Sentinel Published 12:17 a.m. ET Jan. 12, 2019 | Updated 8:00 a.m. ET Jan. 12, 2019

In a social media conversation several months past, a former local government official argued against Trump administration policies at the U.S. southern border. 

People crossing the border illegally were just looking for a better life, after all.

I asked if that same philosophy translated to the government for which he worked. What laws, I asked, could an individual ignore locally if that person was in search of a better life? Unsurprisingly, no answer was forthcoming.

Illegal immigration is a case of “Let’s Pretend,” as in, let’s pretend some laws don’t matter, let’s pretend crime matters when our ideology says it should matter, and let’s pretend politicians we like are being honest about whatever it is they happen to be saying at the moment regardless of how much it differs from what they’ve said in the past.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/george-korda/2019/01/12/illegal-immigration-crime-and-laws-case-lets-pretend-george-korda/2555768002/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Illegal immigration, crime and laws: a case of 'Let's Pretend'
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:29:08 pm »
What laws, I asked, could an individual ignore locally if that person was in search of a better life?

Good question.