Author Topic: White House Sought Options To Strike Iran  (Read 802 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
White House Sought Options To Strike Iran
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:57:39 am »
WASHINGTON—On a warm night in early September, militants fired three mortars into Baghdad’s sprawling diplomatic quarter, home to the U.S. Embassy.

The shells—launched by a group aligned with Iran—landed in an open lot, harming no one. But they triggered unusual alarm in Washington, where President Trump’s national security team conducted a series of meetings to discuss a forceful American response.

As part of the talks, Mr. Trump’s National Security Council, led by John Bolton, asked the Pentagon to provide the White House with military options to strike Iran. The request, which hasn’t been previously reported, generated concern at the Pentagon and State Department, current and former U.S. officials say.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-sought-options-to-strike-iran-11547375404
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: White House Sought Options To Strike Iran
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:10:51 pm »
Just heard this and will study it. It was in consideration of the strike that Iranian-supported militias had fired mortars at the US embassy per article. I will also await, to see if this really happened.

On the surface, I don't like it though.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:28:51 pm »
I would think the military routinely compiles options for all kinds of scenarios.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 03:51:52 pm »
Just heard this and will study it. It was in consideration of the strike that Iranian-supported militias had fired mortars at the US embassy per article. I will also await, to see if this really happened.

On the surface, I don't like it though.

Using the Shia militias, under the command of a Quds Force general, to combat ISIS in Iraq was a deal with the devil. Muqtada al-Sadr is probably behind any attacks within Iraq. Even though he’s recently cooled towards Iran, his Madhi Army fought US forces in 2003. He considers any foreign forces in Iraq to be enemies.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:14:19 pm »
Sounds good to me.
We should have attacked Iran quite some time ago, or aided in an Israeli strike there.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:53 pm »
So what? Normal procedures after an attack on US facilities.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy