Author Topic: Spain Arrests 28 Players Connected to Armenian Tennis Match-Fixing Gang  (Read 398 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Spain Arrests 28 Players Connected to Armenian Tennis Match-Fixing Gang

MADRID — Spanish police have arrested 15 people, and said another 68 have been investigated, as part of probe into tennis match-fixing by an Armenian criminal gang.

In a statement released on Thursday, the Spanish Civil Guard said that 28 of those 83 people are professional tennis players, one of whom took part in the last U.S. Open. The statement doesn’t name any of the individuals who have been investigated or detained.

“The suspects bribed professional players to guarantee predetermined results and used the identities of thousands of citizens to bet on the pre-arranged matches,” Europol said.

Read more at: https://massispost.com/2019/01/spain-arrests-28-players-connected-to-armenian-tennis-match-fixing-gang/

We have our own crime problems so I'm not knocking Eastern Europe over this but obviously, this is another example of organized crime over there and surprisingly, I thought they were going to try this at the US Open. I do see it mentioned in the story that one of those apprehended played in a US Open.  Tennis, who would have known?

Online mountaineer

Re: Spain Arrests 28 Players Connected to Armenian Tennis Match-Fixing Gang
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:55:58 pm »
  Tennis, who would have known?
Indeed.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org