Author Topic: ‘Higher’ education is no better than ‘vocational’ education: House education leader  (Read 832 times)

rangerrebew

â€˜Higher’ education is no better than ‘vocational’ education: House education leader
January 3, 2019

Rep. Virginia Foxx lost her chairmanship of the House Education and the Workforce Committee when Democrats took over the chamber Thursday, and she left with a parting shot at the college-industrial complex.

In a Wall Street Journal op-ed, the North Carolina Republican and former college president (below) writes that the language we use to distinguish forms of education from each other reflects class prejudice.

If academics really care about making language more “inclusive,” they need to stop stigmatizing non-four-year-college education as “vocational” and “technical,” Foxx writes, citing a professor who once told her class that “training” was for animals:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/bulletin-board/higher-education-is-no-better-than-vocational-education-house-education-leader/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:01:16 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Absalom

Higher education is a synonym for horse manure.
The Greeks and Romans created western civilization
w/o credentials (degrees)!!!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Actually, an awful lot of academics look askance at a mere Bachelor's Degree....

If you don't have a PhD, they don't consider you part of the club.

So, yeah, I can see where they view a mere 4-year degree as no better than a tradesman.

The sad part is they are often the ones who have taught those Baccalaureate students who often would have been better off financially had they gone to trade school.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis