Author Topic: Trump Wants to Deliver Prime Time Address on Government Shutdown and Will Visit the Border  (Read 1505 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
By Maggie Haberman and Eileen Sullivan

Jan. 7, 2019

President Trump wants to address the nation about the government shutdown on Tuesday night, and later in the week plans to travel to the southern border as part of his effort to persuade Americans of the need for a border wall — the sticking point in negotiations with Democrats who are eager to reopen shuttered agencies.

The White House did not immediately respond to questions about a request to television networks to carve out time for an Oval Office address. A person familiar with the request said the White House had asked to interrupt prime time programming on Tuesday.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House press secretary, announced Mr. Trump’s plans to travel to the border on Thursday, which would be the 20th day of the partial government shutdown if an agreement between Congress and the White House is not reached in the meantime.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/trump-address-border-visit.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Will the alphabets give him air time?*

Didn't open the slimes link to read story.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Will the alphabets give him air time?*

Didn't open the slimes link to read story.

Has the press ever refused to broadcast a Presidential address?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Ratings gold for them. They like to pretend they are each other's enemy, but in reality, they play off each other and give each other exactly what the other wants. The more outrageous and controversial, the better for both parties.

Offline bilo

President Trump wants to address the nation about the government shutdown on Tuesday night, and later in the week plans to travel to the southern border as part of his effort to persuade Americans of the need for a border wall

Good move!

Trump needs to keep stressing the national emergency that the Rats won't deal with.

I think in the end Trump has the military build the wall. We are going to have 2 years of nothing being done legislatively. The Rats won't agree to a comprehensive package that includes visa reform, a wall, the end of birthright citizenship, the end of the visa lottery and the end of chain migration. IOW, nothing is going to get done so Trump should build as much of the wall as he can and hope the Pubs do better in 2020.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Yep.  They did it to Reagan in 1988 twice.

Offline libertybele

Fantastic.  He is supposed to deliver his address Tuesday.  I think he should also invite Kirstjen Nielsen to give her report; maybe this time Nancy will listen.  IF he indeed goes to the border with a film crew it hopefully will open some liberal eyeballs.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-to-travel-to-southern-border-thursday-sarah-sanders-says
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump to deliver prime-time address, travel to Southern border amid shutdown standoff
Fox News, Jan 7, 2019

President Trump to address nation on 'humanitarian and national security crisis' on the Mexican border

President Trump announced that he will address the nation on Tuesday night before traveling later in the week to the U.S.-Mexico border, as he seeks to highlight border security and presses Democrats for wall funding amid the protracted standoff that triggered a partial government shutdown now stretching into its 17th day.

"I am pleased to inform you that I will Address the Nation on the Humanitarian and National Security crisis on our Southern Border. Tuesday night at 9:00 P.M. Eastern," Trump tweeted on Monday.

Trump plans to address the nation from the Oval Office, in a first for his presidency.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-to-travel-to-southern-border-thursday-sarah-sanders-says

To air or not to air: Networks face pressure over broadcasting Trump's immigration address
NBC News, Jan 7, 2019

[...]

The four major networks — NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox — have not had a consistent policy when it comes to airing presidential addresses on immigration.

They aired President George W. Bush’s prime-time address on immigration in 2006, but did not air one by President Barack Obama in 2014.

The networks are currently debating whether to air the Trump address, and if they do, they would probably grant Democrats an opportunity to respond, according to two sources familiar with the ongoing deliberations who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

There is no ideal outcome for the networks. Should they decide to carry the speech, they will receive widespread criticism from Democrats over their decision to pass on Obama’s speech.

Should they decline, the networks will forgo a potentially significant news event and bolster Trump's argument that the news media is biased against him.

That debate had already begun to play out on social media on Monday.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/air-or-not-air-networks-face-pressure-over-broadcasting-trump-n955846

Offline bilo

Fantastic.  He is supposed to deliver his address Tuesday. I think he should also invite Kirstjen Nielsen to give her report; maybe this time Nancy will listen.  IF he indeed goes to the border with a film crew it hopefully will open some liberal eyeballs.

Fantastic idea!

Fantastic idea!

The President's asked for eight minutes of airtime.  Probably not time enough for a seminar.

Offline bilo

The President's asked for eight minutes of airtime.  Probably not time enough for a seminar.

It doesn't sound like enough time to lay out the argument for declaring a national emergency either.

Offline libertybele

It doesn't sound like enough time to lay out the argument for declaring a national emergency either.

IMHO, Trump will make great use of his time, get his point across and 'capture' his audience. He's been very successful in doing that so far. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

IMHO, Trump will make great use of his time, get his point across and 'capture' his audience. He's been very successful in doing that so far.

I agree with you.

It also helps that he is right that we need secure borders to be a sovereign nation and that walls work.

Offline corbe

If it's more than his usual, red meat for the base and platitudes for the idiots, it will be interesting.
   It's his pulpit he needs to use it more effectively than he has in the past, IMHO.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

I agree with you.

It also helps that he is right that we need secure borders to be a sovereign nation and that walls work.

It helps that this is THE issue that won him the presidency.  I think that he may have received legal 'clearance' to declare a national emergency and is appealing to the people to get behind him.  He will make his case and if the House rebukes him, and the situation escalates, I think the people will DEMAND something be done...even the liberal village idiots.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Yes, they didn’t broadcast Obama’s 2014 immigration address. That’s not terribly surprising, since he was announcing amnesty and work permits for illegals.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline corbe

Democrats demand air time to counter Trump's border speech

By Jordain Carney - 01/07/19 08:36 PM EST

“Now that the television networks have decided to air the President’s address, which if his past statements are any indication will be full of malice and misinformation, Democrats must immediately be given equal airtime," Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) said in a joint statement on Monday night.

All major networks have confirmed they will air Trump's Oval Office address, after some initial uncertainty over how the organizations would handle the speech announced Monday. CBS said in a statement to The Hill that the White House informed the network it will last no longer than eight minutes.

Trump is expected to use the speech to make his pitch on the border wall fight, which is at the center of a weeks-long government shutdown. He is also set to travel to the border on Thursday. The television address comes only weeks before Trump's end-of-the-month State of the Union speech.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/424258-democrats-demand-air-time-to-counter-trumps-border-speech
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

Democrats demand air time to counter Trump's border speech.

They will have time after the SOTU address.  Not till then.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
President Trump wants to address the nation about the government shutdown on Tuesday night, and later in the week plans to travel to the southern border as part of his effort to persuade Americans of the need for a border wall

Good move!

Trump needs to keep stressing the national emergency that the Rats won't deal with.

I think in the end Trump has the military build the wall. We are going to have 2 years of nothing being done legislatively. The Rats won't agree to a comprehensive package that includes visa reform, a wall, the end of birthright citizenship, the end of the visa lottery and the end of chain migration. IOW, nothing is going to get done so Trump should build as much of the wall as he can and hope the Pubs do better in 2020.

I agree its a good move.  Hopefully he will touch on the most important data we have about crime and border.  Also he should give numbers for how much illegal immigrants cost taxpayers.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

I agree its a good move.  Hopefully he will touch on the most important data we have about crime and border.  Also he should give numbers for how much illegal immigrants cost taxpayers.

He plans on visiting the border ... pictures will be worth a thousand words.  Data/stats from Border Patrol Agents and the Secy of Homeland Security will also help.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Who will give the rebuttal, Romney, Ryan Kasich JeBush, or Pelosi?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln