Author Topic: Three dead in national parks as shutdown wears on  (Read 1879 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Three dead in national parks as shutdown wears on
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:33:13 am »
Three dead in national parks as shutdown wears on
Darryl Fears, Juliet Eilperin

Three days after most of the federal workforce was furloughed on Dec. 21, a 14-year-old girl fell 700 feet to her death at the Horseshoe Bend Overlook, part of the Glen Canyon Recreation Area in Arizona. The following day, Christmas, a man died at Yosemite National Park in California after suffering a head injury in a fall. On Dec. 27, a woman was killed by a falling tree at Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which straddles the borders of North Carolina and Tennessee.

The deaths follow a decision by Trump administration officials to leave the scenic — but sometimes deadly — parks open even as the Interior Department has halted most of its operations. During previous extended shutdowns, the National Park Service barred access to many of its sites across the nation.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/three-dead-in-national-parks-as-shutdown-wears-on/ar-BBROJil

I don't like the spin of the article but...perhaps, the underlying facts that 3 persons have died in National Parks recently is true. People die in those parks with regularities and I don't know if these cases would not have happened with more employees at the parks. Shut the parks if this is a danger.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Three dead in national parks as shutdown wears on
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 10:49:24 am »
I agree, @TomSea , sadly, people die in National Parks anyway. Not having a non-shutdown body count to compare to, this can't be put into perspective.

For instance, in 2014, 164 people died in National Parks, one every 2.2 days on average. On the average two week period, that would lead one to expect six or seven deaths.

By that metric, the parks are twice as safe during the shutdown.

I suspect directed hype, not real reporting. (Pelosi's fault! )

(Nature is dangerous! Hoodathunkit?) :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:22:07 pm »
Who is working to keep the parks closed?
Countdown to Resignation

Online goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:57:02 pm »
One of the big attractions of many national park is that they are scenic and include many trails and areas that are semi-dangerous or dangerous to trek.
If you fall off a ledge of more than fifty feet, chances are you are going to be seriously injured or die whether or not park services/rangers are available to help you.
It's like the area where I grew up along the Mississippi River bluffs in western Wisconsin. Three or four decades ago a neighborhood boy fell off a bluff I climbed many times as a kid and was killed. Those bluffs aren't nearly as high as many mountain trails in NPs, but they're high enough to kill you if you slip and fall.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:20:34 pm »
The media are going all out on the Chicken Little scenario. Planes will fall out of the skies! People will fall off cliffs at Yosemite! Everyone in America will experience the heartbreak of psoriasis - as long as the government is shut down by the eeeevil Republicans!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:24:30 pm »
Not only that, Trump didn't shut down the government. Nothing has reached his desk yet, which is driving my AT friends crazy. If you tell them the facts, they freak completely out. They know they are supposed to push the narrative but the facts annoy them.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:32:02 pm »
Not only that, Trump didn't shut down the government. Nothing has reached his desk yet, which is driving my AT friends crazy. If you tell them the facts, they freak completely out. They know they are supposed to push the narrative but the facts annoy them.

Please define AT friends for me.  I do not understand the reference.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 03:20:57 pm »
AT=Anti-Trump
NT=Never Trump
ET=Ever Trump

An AT is a Democrat that hates anything Trump does or doesn't do. Just hates Trump. 
An NT is usually a Republican who won't give Trump credit for any good thing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:23:08 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:25:35 pm »
Have you looked at the Horseshoe Bend Overlook.  It's an incredible piece of nature, but only a fool would walk up to the edge.  If you put up a guardrail some fool will climb over same and fall to their death anyway.  I've seen kids climb up on a rail right on top if the sign warning them not to do so. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 03:45:14 pm »
Lots of people die in Parks every year, no matter what. Many of them from doing foolish things or trying to take deadly 'selfie' pics on their cellphones. Can't count the number of articles I've read about a person or group taking off on a hike through the mountains in the dead of winter.

Trump can't save people from themselves. Nobody can.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 04:39:43 pm »
AT=Anti-Trump
NT=Never Trump
ET=Ever Trump

An AT is a Democrat that hates anything Trump does or doesn't do. Just hates Trump. 
You missed TT.  Tolerate Trump. That's someone like me who tolerates Trump because he was preferable to Hillary the Snake. 
We give Trump credit when he does right and slam him when he does wrong.
We by and large don't like him, but he is the president and will most likely vote for him in 2020.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 04:42:19 pm »
Have you looked at the Horseshoe Bend Overlook.  It's an incredible piece of nature, but only a fool would walk up to the edge.  If you put up a guardrail some fool will climb over same and fall to their death anyway.  I've seen kids climb up on a rail right on top if the sign warning them not to do so.
Every NP and other steep places (The Cliffs Of Moher in Ireland) I've visited there are always numerous people who ignore the fences and warning signs to get closer to the edge. Not me.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 04:42:57 pm »
Give Trump his border wall funding. Stop the slaughter.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 04:44:48 pm »
Let's compare the number of people who are the victims of crimes committed by illegals to the number who ignore safety warnings at a national park and find themselves injured or dead, shall we?  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 05:27:14 pm »
Have you looked at the Horseshoe Bend Overlook.  It's an incredible piece of nature, but only a fool would walk up to the edge.
@ConstitutionRose

I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris years ago.

"Constructed from 1887–1889 as the entrance to the 1889 World's Fair, it was initially criticized by some of France's leading artists and intellectuals for its design, but it has become a global cultural icon of France and one of the most recognisable structures in the world.[3] The Eiffel Tower is the most-visited paid monument in the world; 6.91 million people ascended it in 2015.

It is about the same height as an 81-storey building, and the tallest structure in Paris. Its base is square, measuring 125 metres (410 ft) on each side. During its construction, the Eiffel Tower surpassed the Washington Monument to become the tallest man-made structure in the world, a title it held for 41 years until the Chrysler Building in New York City was finished in 1930. Due to the addition of a broadcasting aerial at the top of the tower in 1957, it is now taller than the Chrysler Building by 5.2 metres (17 ft). Excluding transmitters, the Eiffel Tower is the second tallest free-standing structure."

There is a core of the building and at the top there is an open air observation around the core of the building where the elevators are.  I felt the open air area reaches into heaven as it is so high. 

People, including my husband, were leaning over the rails and taking pictures.  I could not stay where the rails are.  I stayed toward the center structure.  I kept telling myself it had been there since the 1800s and would still be there when I left.  I still wanted down from there.  We had dinner in the tower restaurant and I felt safe there - it was just that open air showing one the entire world (that is what it felt to me) that I couldn't handle.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 06:13:13 pm »
Give Trump his border wall funding. Stop the slaughter.

LOL!  (Mean Old Mr. Gravity is obviously colluding with Dems!)

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 07:09:09 pm »
I don't like the spin of the article but...perhaps, the underlying facts that 3 persons have died in National Parks recently is true. People die in those parks with regularities and I don't know if these cases would not have happened with more employees at the parks. Shut the parks if this is a danger.

LOL!
Like the staff would matter in the least to someone who has fallen 700 ft. If you have to take a breath while you are screaming on the way down, the verdict is guaranteed. Same with tree fall. A tree falls on you, you are probably dead.

'Head injury' is too vague to know, but I can tell you this: MOSTLY park staff are there to scrape you up and send you home. Mostly, injury in the wilderness means help is always too far away. You are on your own.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 03:14:09 am »
LOL!
Like the staff would matter in the least to someone who has fallen 700 ft. If you have to take a breath while you are screaming on the way down, the verdict is guaranteed. Same with tree fall. A tree falls on you, you are probably dead.

'Head injury' is too vague to know, but I can tell you this: MOSTLY park staff are there to scrape you up and send you home. Mostly, injury in the wilderness means help is always too far away. You are on your own.
I can't imagine what the presence of park rangers could have done to do to inhibit hat huge slab of granite in Yosemite that  let loose and pancaked that climber. What could they have done, hollered "Look Out Below"?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 03:27:17 am »
I can't imagine what the presence of park rangers could have done to do to inhibit hat huge slab of granite in Yosemite that  let loose and pancaked that climber. What could they have done, hollered "Look Out Below"?

I know, right?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 10:45:43 pm »
Fell 700 feet. Takes a lot of brains with a 700 foot warning right in front of you.

Back in the 70s folks used to deface STREET SIGNS telling us that speed kills.

And how many people still killed themselves with speed?

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 10:49:31 pm »
Sometimes, being stupid is fatal.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 11:15:46 pm »
AT=Anti-Trump
NT=Never Trump
ET=Ever Trump

You missed one. TIG= Trump Is God!!!! That would be me.

BTW it's great that the shut down is having so many positive effects. First being less govr' losers clogging up the works. Second is generally stupid people killing themselves off being stupid.

Offline corbe

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 12:08:54 am »
    Thanks for that clarification @Restored I am guilty of interchanging the ET and AT nomenclature.  I stand corrected.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.