State Chapters > State Politics/Government

MA: Restaurant famous for traditional fare, surly staff, closing (victim of min. wage hike)

<< < (3/3)

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: mirraflake on January 04, 2019, 09:23:34 pm ---Oh booo hoo...  So the current min wage is $11 an hour there.  That is chump change.

The real reason is competition from the large chains. Small restaurants do not have the buying power of a Red Lobster or Applebees  so their meals are $8-$10 more.   That is what killed the independents in  my area. We had a great steak house in our area but the owner said the cost of his steaks was more than what West Texas or Longhorn were selling theirs for.

That is why the folks are no longer coming in.

--- End quote ---

NO.
Restaurants operate on paper thin margins. Wherever they are on the food chain, they are always desperately close to the edge. Large chains my well be able to float better (though not franchises), but even so, an effective raise in labor cost is going to tip many restaurants over.

And, might I add, let's not forget that for every dollar in wage increase, there is effectively another dollar spent in taxes and insurances. the real cost is double the increase.

mountaineer:
For all the many times Mr. M and I have visited Boston, we never made it to Durgin-Park. Oh well.   :shrug:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version