Author Topic: Trump threatened to keep government shut down for ‘months or even years’ to get border wall funds, D  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

TSA workers will start calling in sick once that first paycheck is missed. This will cause massive backlogs in air travel, impacting the economy and inconveniencing hundreds of thousands. The negative coverage of this in the press will pressure Republicans in the Senate to join with Democrats to pass a continuing resolution with a veto-proof majority.

You read it here first.

TSA workers are already calling in sick by the hundreds.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I keep reading this story and it sounds like Fake News. I can't find a direct quote from Trump about the shutdown lasting for years. I think the Democrats said he said it. I trust the Democrats about as much as I trust Trump.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Victoria33

I posted this on another thread and this time will be the last:

Yes, TSA employees are not getting paid.  Here is one who said:

"It’s hard, because people have bills to pay,” said one officer, who wished to go by only his last name, Watts. “If you have spouses, family, friends that can help you stay aboard until you get your pay, it’s really not too harsh. But everybody is not in that same boat.”

If they have automatic withdrawals from their bank to pay for electricity, water, gas, etc., they are getting bank charges for overdrawing their account.

I think Trump just lost the next presidential election when he said he could keep the government shut down for months and years.  That statement will be used against him as it says he does not care about people, just wants his name on a wall even though 800,000 people can't pay their bills and he doesn't care one bit about them.  Those 800,000 people and their families, and their friends, and other people knowing he only cares for himself, will not vote for him again.

Offline Victoria33

I keep reading this story and it sounds like Fake News. I can't find a direct quote from Trump about the shutdown lasting for years. I think the Democrats said he said it. I trust the Democrats about as much as I trust Trump.
@Restored

I heard him say it when he held a news conference; couldn't believe he said that; it's going to hurt him when he runs again.

Offline Night Hides Not

I posted this on another thread and this time will be the last:

Yes, TSA employees are not getting paid.  Here is one who said:

"It’s hard, because people have bills to pay,” said one officer, who wished to go by only his last name, Watts. “If you have spouses, family, friends that can help you stay aboard until you get your pay, it’s really not too harsh. But everybody is not in that same boat.”

If they have automatic withdrawals from their bank to pay for electricity, water, gas, etc., they are getting bank charges for overdrawing their account.

I think Trump just lost the next presidential election when he said he could keep the government shut down for months and years.  That statement will be used against him as it says he does not care about people, just wants his name on a wall even though 800,000 people can't pay their bills and he doesn't care one bit about them.  Those 800,000 people and their families, and their friends, and other people knowing he only cares for himself, will not vote for him again.

I'm holding my fire until the end of next week. That's when the people will not be paid. Is this Kabuki theatre, or a real political game of chicken?

There's a very real possibility that the Democrats will overplay their hand, to the point so-called Never Trumpers vote for Trump in 2020 just to vote against the Democrats.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
But Trump didn't shut down the government. AFAIK The government was shut down when the Senate didn't take up the Continuing Resolution.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Night Hides Not

But Trump didn't shut down the government. AFAIK The government was shut down when the Senate didn't take up the Continuing Resolution.

McConnell did that in coordination with Trump. Now we see why Mitch's wife is a Cabinet Secretary...Trump's better at six dimensional chess than Mitch.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They ARE NOT working "without" pay.
They will be paid IN FULL when the government "resumes".
Ain't the same.

Months or years later. Bills don’t wait that long to be paid. In the meantime, you still report for the other job. If this doesn’t get resolved in the next week, expect mass sick calls from various agencies.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Night Hides Not

Months or years later. Bills don’t wait that long to be paid. In the meantime, you still report for the other job. If this doesn’t get resolved in the next week, expect mass sick calls from various agencies.

Although I've never had a problem in my dealings with the IRS for myself, or on the behalf of clients, I am not looking forward to calling them next week to resolve a minor issue.

I expect longer delays than usual on the phone, although I might attempt to visit a local office. It's already well known that employee dissatisfaction at the IRS is higher than most federal agencies.

Offline edpc

Not exactly. The original CR funding through Feb 8, without wall funding, passed the Senate easily and Trump said he wouldn’t sign it, if it the House passed it. So, the House added wall money and the Senate could not reach cloture. Trump tweeted McConnell should exercise the nuclear option and Mitch declined. So, basically, it comes down to the original quote, from the televised Oval Office meeting.

“If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. And I am proud. I’ll tell you what. I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. Because the people of this country don’t want criminals and people that have lots of problems and drugs pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didn’t work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. I’m going to shut it down for border security.”

It’s all his. Trump owns it, despite anything else he’s said since.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:25:41 pm by edpc »

Offline Night Hides Not

Not exactly. The original CR funding through Feb 8, without wall funding, passed the Senate easily and Trump said he wouldn’t sign it, if it the House passed it. So, the House added wall money and the Senate could not reach cloture. Trump tweeted McConnell should exercise the nuclear option and Mitch declined. So, basically, it comes down to the original quote, from the televised Oval Office meeting.

“If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. And I am proud. I’ll tell you what. I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. Because the people of this country don’t want criminals and people that have lots of problems and drugs pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didn’t work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. I’m going to shut it down for border security.”

Agreed...instead of

this is closer to the truth:

Offline Victoria33

Although I've never had a problem in my dealings with the IRS for myself, or on the behalf of clients, I am not looking forward to calling them next week to resolve a minor issue.
@Night Hides Not
@mystery-ak

What if you had to call the mortgage company, utility companies, all companies where you owe money, plus buy groceries, because you don't have a paycheck?

I don't understand people here being glad these government workers don't have a paycheck. 

Offline NavyCanDo

The only thing that worries me about a long term government shutdown is my Tax Refund being delayed. A refund I normally get in mid February and was going to pay off the balance owing on a home improvement project scheduled for the same time. Feel a bit like Clark W. Griswold who can't pay for the pool.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Night Hides Not

@Night Hides Not
@mystery-ak

What if you had to call the mortgage company, utility companies, all companies where you owe money, plus buy groceries, because you don't have a paycheck?

I don't understand people here being glad these government workers don't have a paycheck.

I don't either. These same people will gripe loudly when it impacts their lives. For now, it's their way to show how superior and "self reliant" they are.

If this were a principled stand, such as a real effort to trim government spending, I'd be more supportive. What we have here is political theatre, and average Americans by the tens of thousands are cannon fodder for the REMFs in charge.

Offline Night Hides Not

The only thing that worries me about a long term government shutdown is my Tax Refund being delayed. A refund I normally get in mid February and was going to pay off the balance owing on a home improvement project scheduled for the same time. Feel a bit like Clark W. Griswold who can't pay for the pool.

Lord, I hope you don't have a Cousin Eddie!!!  :rolling:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Night Hides Not
@mystery-ak

If they're smart enough to work for the government, they're smart enough to figure this out. 

Offline Night Hides Not

If they're smart enough to work for the government, they're smart enough to figure this out.

Ah yes, the (nonexistent) empathy of the typical Orange Brigadier.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

The facts you presented do not line up with your conclusion. How can Trump cause the shutdown when he never got the bill?

Note: The Democrats voted unanimously against keeping the government open. I imagine the same would have been true in the Senate. So how is this shutdown Trump's fault when he supported the Continuation Bill and the Democrats all opposed it?

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll472.xml
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

The facts you presented do not line up with your conclusion. How can Trump cause the shutdown when he never got the bill?

He didn't get the bill, because he refused to sign the Senate passed CR that also would have passed the House easily. It didn't have the $5B he wanted. That's what led to the shutdown. It aligns perfectly with what he said on national television to Schumer and Pelosi. In hindsight, I'm sure he regrets it, otherwise, he wouldn't be trying to spin it.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

He didn't get the bill, because he refused to sign the Senate passed CR that also would have passed the House easily.

Wait, wait,wait. The Senate was sending the Bill to the House, not the President. The House added the Wall money and it passed. It was waiting on Senate approval.
If the Bill went to Trump and he refused to sign it, it is his fault. But it never made it to him. IIRC The Senate Democrats voted against bring it to the floor. The fault belongs to them.
You can blame Trump and he can take credit for it but he didn't do it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:07:58 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

He didn't get the bill, because he refused to sign the Senate passed CR that also would have passed the House easily. It didn't have the $5B he wanted. That's what led to the shutdown. It aligns perfectly with what he said on national television to Schumer and Pelosi. In hindsight, I'm sure he regrets it, otherwise, he wouldn't be trying to spin it.

link please??  Thanks.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

BassWrangler

TSA workers are already calling in sick by the hundreds.

A few are, but it's not critical mass yet - just a threat / warning from their union. But once that first paycheck doesn't arrive, it will take off.

Offline edpc

Wait, wait,wait. The Senate was sending the Bill to the House, not the President. The House added the Wall money and it passed. It was waiting on Senate approval.
If the Bill went to Trump and he refused to sign it, it is his fault. But it never made it to him. IIRC The Senate Democrats voted against bring it to the floor. The fault belongs to them.
You can blame Trump and he can take credit for it but he didn't do it.

The original House version had no wall funding. The only difference between it and the passed Senate version was duration. Once pressure mounted from Coulter, Limbaugh, and Fox & Friends, the President blew it up.

After Senate passage, which is likely after the cloture vote ends, the measure will need to go back to the House, which approved the initial, four-week version last Thursday. House GOP leaders have said they have no problems with version shortening the duration to Feb. 8 from Feb. 16 as initially drafted, although some Republicans in the House are likely to have concerns with the Senate approach on immigration policy.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/senate-passes-three-week-cr-reopen-federal-government

link please??  Thanks.

“We just had a very long, productive meeting with the president,” Ryan told reporters after House Republicans met with Trump for more than an hour. “The president informed us that he will not sign the bill that came up from the Senate last evening because of his legitimate concerns for border security.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/ryan-says-trump-will-not-sign-senate-passed-bill-to-avoid-government-shutdown.html

I’m done doing homework for others. All this has happened within the last two weeks and has been widely covered. Look it up yourselves.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:22:12 pm by edpc »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
After Senate passage, which is likely after the cloture vote ends, the measure will need to go back to the House, which approved the initial, four-week version last Thursday. House GOP leaders have said they have no problems with version shortening the duration to Feb. 8 from Feb. 16 as initially drafted, although some Republicans in the House are likely to have concerns with the Senate approach on immigration policy.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/senate-passes-three-week-cr-reopen-federal-government

“We just had a very long, productive meeting with the president,” Ryan told reporters after House Republicans met with Trump for more than an hour. “The president informed us that he will not sign the bill that came up from the Senate last evening because of his legitimate concerns for border security.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/ryan-says-trump-will-not-sign-senate-passed-bill-to-avoid-government-shutdown.html

I’m done doing homework for others. All this has happened within the last two weeks and has been widely covered. Look it up yourselves.

It doesn't matter who shuts it down or who keeps it shut down ...what matters is that President Trump gets $$ needed for the wall period.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Illegal immigration is an existential issue.  This is the line in the sand.  There will be many howls and gnashing of teeth over it.  Don't lose sight of the goal.

And, to hell with the CRs.  Pass a damned budget.  That should be another line in the sand.

As for government employees, they can 1. spend out of savings, and since government shutdowns due to lack of budget has become the norm rather than the exception, they should have been saving for this inevitablity.  They can pay back their savings when they do get paid.   And, 2. they can call their debtors and ask for extensions until they are paid.  Most debtors will be willing to do that.