Author Topic: Trump threatened to keep government shut down for ‘months or even years’ to get border wall funds, D  (Read 6419 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump threatened to keep government shut down for ‘months or even years’ to get border wall funds, Democrats say
MSN, Jan 4, 2019, Washington Post; Seung Min Kim, Erica Werner, Josh Dawsey

Update: President Trump threatened Friday to keep the government shut down for months or even years in order to get money for his border wall, Democratic leaders said after a meeting with the president at the White House.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said their White House meeting with President Trump and Republicans was lengthy and contentious, as they reiterated their opposition to new funding for a border wall and urged Trump to end the partial shutdown. 

“We told the president, we needed the government open. He resisted. In fact he said he’d keep the government closed for a very long period of time, months or even years,” Schumer said.

This story will be updated.

Previous report

The White House is scrambling to unify Republicans behind President Trump’s demand for money to build a border wall as part of any deal to reopen the government, as GOP lawmakers are caught between the president’s push to fund his signature campaign promise and the spreading consequences of a two-week old partial shutdown.

Vice President Pence called about a half-dozen House Republicans late Thursday to urge them to vote against measures that would reopen the government without new wall funding, amid White House worries that broad GOP defections would give the Democratic effort bipartisan backing.

Two Republican officials confirmed the calls, speaking on the condition of anonymity to divulge the private communications.

Ultimately, just five House GOP lawmakers voted with Democrats on a spending bill that would operate the Department of Homeland Security until Feb. 8, and seven Republicans supported separate legislation that would re-open the rest of the federal government through Sept. 30. GOP officials feared the defections could have been much higher had the administration not gotten directly involved.

Pence’s efforts reflect a growing anxiety among Congressional Republicans over the two-week shutdown that has halted paychecks for 800,000 federal workers but shown no signs of ending anytime soon. Congressional leaders headed to the White House again on Friday in an attempt to end the dispute, yet few expected any resolution from the 11:30 a.m. meeting in the Situation Room.

Congress also adjourned until Tuesday, making Wednesday the earliest the federal government can reopen — barring a major development between the administration and Congress.

Pence’s outreach centered primarily on moderate members and those who hail from the northeast — some who ended up voting for the bills, and others who didn’t. The vice president’s pitch to Republicans centered on two main points: The country needs funding for a wall, and Congress shouldn’t kick the can to February, when the stopgap funding for DHS would have expired under the Democratic strategy.

Read more:  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-threatened-to-keep-government-shut-down-for-%e2%80%98months-or-even-years%e2%80%99-to-get-border-wall-funds-democrats-say/ar-BBROqDg?ocid=ientp

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
That would do it, sir!

In the meantime, get the Seabees Corp of Engineers busy, using other defense funds.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

Update: President Trump threatened Friday to keep the government shut down for months or even years in order to get money for his border wall, Democratic leaders said after a meeting with the president at the White House.

If you have high blood pressure take with a grain of salt substitute.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

That would do it, sir!

In the meantime, get the Seabees Corp of Engineers busy, using other defense funds.

Wouldn't it be something if the Army Corps of Engineers builds the wall and the government stays shut down.... @DCPatriot   88devil

Online DCPatriot

Wouldn't it be something if the Army Corps of Engineers builds the wall and the government stays shut down.... @DCPatriot   88devil

315K jobs in December.  @Right_in_Virginia

Get those suckers back in the private sector where they have to compete and get along.

It could be President Trump's "Air-Traffic Controllers" moment.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
But wait!  This can't be true!!

I saw several lengthy threads filled with concern about him caving already....  reducing his requested amount....  offering amnesty as a trade-off...

Offline GrouchoTex

315K jobs in December.  @Right_in_Virginia

Get those suckers back in the private sector where they have to compete and get along.

It could be President Trump's "Air-Traffic Controllers" moment.   :laugh:
@DCPatriot
Sounds like a plan to me.
The federal government was never supposed to be this big anyway.
We'll get a two-fer
smaller government and better border security.
What's not to like?

Offline Blizzardnh

:thumbsup:

Online DCPatriot

@DCPatriot
Sounds like a plan to me.
The federal government was never supposed to be this big anyway.
We'll get a two-fer
smaller government and better border security.
What's not to like?

@GrouchoTex

:beer:    :patriot:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That would do it, sir!

Trump made a great speech while ago.  He is passionate about this issue and with good reason.  It has been ignored way too long by too many administrations.

The democrats claim to be for border security but no wall.  The only reason they oppose the wall is because it is the cornerstone of Trump's agenda and would cement his success as President.

They do not care about the country at all.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online DCPatriot

I love my POTUS:

April:  Mr. President.  Are you still accepting full ownership of this shutdow?

POTUS:  I appreciate the phrasing of your question, April.  But, I'm not thinking about anything except protecting the American People.

Online DCPatriot

Trump made a great speech while ago.  He is passionate about this issue and with good reason.  It has been ignored way too long by too many administrations.

The democrats claim to be for border security but no wall.  The only reason they oppose the wall is because it is the cornerstone of Trump's agenda and would cement his success as President.

They do not care about the country at all.

Amen, @Emjay

Offline aligncare

But wait!  This can't be true!!

I saw several lengthy threads filled with concern about him caving already....  reducing his requested amount....  offering amnesty as a trade-off...

Some folks refuse to budge. Some conservatives made up their mind along time ago, maybe in 2016 with the publishing of National Review’s Against Trump issue and no amount of recent history of facts or reason will persuade NeverTrumpers to give the president – their president – the benefit of the doubt.

Hate is a difficult emotion to erase. Not even reality can seep in.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Trump says he has considered calling a national emergency to build wall.

The reporter asked if that means he doesn't need Congressional approval to build the wall, then.

"Absolutely," Trump said. "We can call a national emergency. I haven't done it. I may do it. I may do it. We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly. It's another way of doing it."

Asked if that was a threat to Democrats, Trump replied, "I never threaten anybody, but I am allowed to do it -- call a national emergency."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-january-2019/h_315d02e63de3842b953092450e0df599

Sure he will...... *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DCPatriot

Trump says he has considered calling a national emergency to build wall.

The reporter asked if that means he doesn't need Congressional approval to build the wall, then.

"Absolutely," Trump said. "We can call a national emergency. I haven't done it. I may do it. I may do it. We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly. It's another way of doing it."

Asked if that was a threat to Democrats, Trump replied, "I never threaten anybody, but I am allowed to do it -- call a national emergency."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-january-2019/h_315d02e63de3842b953092450e0df599

Sure he will...... *****rollingeyes*****

@edpc

You wouldn't recognize 5 dimensional chess if the Bishop jumped up and bit you on the ass.    :patriot:

Offline edpc

@edpc

You wouldn't recognize 5 dimensional chess if the Bishop jumped up and bit you on the ass.    :patriot:

What does reminiscing about your days as an altar boy have to do with anything?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:35:01 pm by edpc »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@edpc

He'd need a rabies shot....for the "Bishop" that is.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

What does reminiscing about your days as an altar boy have to do with anything?

888high58888

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Trump threatened to keep government shut down for ‘months or even years’ to get border wall funds..."

I gotz no problems with that.

The government has been shut down a week.

Do you miss it?

Offline edpc

The government has been shut down a week.

Do you miss it?

The workers miss their salary. Do you honestly think some of the affected departments, like Homeland Security, that include TSA, Border Patrol, ICE, and Secret Service will go months or years without pay?

Offline Hoodat

Trump isn't the one keeping the government shut down.  Chuck Schumer is.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

edpc wrote:
"The workers miss their salary. Do you honestly think some of the affected departments, like Homeland Security, that include TSA, Border Patrol, ICE, and Secret Service will go months or years without pay?"

Too damned bad.
I was furloughed on the railroad and it was 14 months before I got back full-time.
I handled it.
So can they.

Offline edpc

Too damned bad.
I was furloughed on the railroad and it was 14 months before I got back full-time.
I handled it.
So can they.

Except they’re not furloughed. They’re still considering essential and working without pay.

Offline Fishrrman

edpc wrote:
"They’re still considering essential and working without pay."

They ARE NOT working "without" pay.
They will be paid IN FULL when the government "resumes".
Ain't the same.

BassWrangler

TSA workers will start calling in sick once that first paycheck is missed. This will cause massive backlogs in air travel, impacting the economy and inconveniencing hundreds of thousands. The negative coverage of this in the press will pressure Republicans in the Senate to join with Democrats to pass a continuing resolution with a veto-proof majority.

You read it here first.