Author Topic: Pittsburgh mayor braces for tension, large turnout for gun rally  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Applewood

Pittsburgh mayor braces for tension, large turnout for gun rally

PITTSBURGH —
A City Council session Monday will be Pittsburgh's first attempt to carve out a gun ban on assault-style weapons, also sparking a protest by gun rights advocates downtown.

Firearms Owners Against Crime, a legislative advocacy group for Pennsylvania gun owners, estimated that 500 people will rally with their guns at the City-County Building -- a development that Mayor Bill Peduto says the city is monitoring "hour by hour."
…

However, Peduto said a massive law enforcement presence will be on hand to monitor both the gun rights advocates and counterprotesters rallying against them.

"Just want to make sure people have the right to assemble, and that will be recognized, but also keeping people safe," Peduto said. "With that, and the amount of weapons that will be in plain sight, just worried about the general public."

Emphasis added.  See more at:

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsburgh-mayor-braces-for-tension-large-turnout-for-gun-rally/25738050

Offline Applewood

Re: Pittsburgh mayor braces for tension, large turnout for gun rally
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:24:32 pm »
Pittsburgh's mayor is an idiot.  Does he think the gun owners are going to just start shooting people for no good reason?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:32:54 pm »
This mayor is as anti Second Amendment as they come.

This happened in 14 December:

Today, Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto held a press conference to propose a trio of anti-gun city ordinances that, if enacted, would constitute a direct violation of Pennsylvania’s state firearms preemption law and Pennsylvania Supreme Court precedent. At the event, Peduto was joined by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf, who benefitted from $500,000 in spending from Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety during his 2018 re-election bid, and City Council members Corey O’Connor and Erika Strassburger.

<snip>

The three legislative proposals are a total ban on commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms, a total ban on several types of common firearms accessories and standard capacity magazines, and the development of a procedure to confiscate an individual’s firearms without due process of law.

Under the proposed semi-automatic ban, it would be “unlawful to manufacture, sell, purchase, transport, carry, store, or otherwise hold in one’s possession” a firearm defined as an “assault weapon.”

The legislation defines “assault weapon” by listing several models of commonly owned semi-automatic firearms, including the Colt AR-15 and certain configurations of the Ruger Mini-14. Moreover, the legislation goes on to add to the definition of “assault weapon” semi-automatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns that meet a certain set of criteria.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20181214/pittsburgh-mayor-declares-intent-to-ban-guns-in-violation-of-state-law

I wonder how Mayor Peduto (a.k.a. Mayor Pendejo) is gonna react to the USCCA Convention that's coming to his city in March?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 03:35:05 pm »
"Just want to make sure people have the right to assemble, and that will be recognized, but also keeping people safe," Peduto said. "With that, and the amount of weapons that will be in plain sight, just worried about the general public."

Oh yeah? Then how come you have let the folks in the Hill District run a shooting gallery for decades?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 03:37:49 pm »
Any of the Antifa crowd rushing to Pitt to confront these 500 legal gun owning citizens?

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 03:59:09 pm »
Any of the Antifa crowd rushing to Pitt to confront these 500 legal gun owning citizens?

Oh, I'm sure they will, as with Black Lives Matter and the other related malcontents.  But you see, Mayor Patootey is more worried about the gun owners drawing their weapons and shooting the counter-protestors.  He doesn't care that the Antifa crowd might decide to assault the gun owners and anyone else who happens to be present.  Looks to me like the mayor is inciting a confrontation to justify his proposed gun ordinance.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 04:03:14 pm »
Oh, I'm sure they will, as with Black Lives Matter and the other related malcontents.  But you see, Mayor Patootey is more worried about the gun owners drawing their weapons and shooting the counter-protestors.  He doesn't care that the Antifa crowd might decide to assault the gun owners and anyone else who happens to be present.  Looks to me like the mayor is inciting a confrontation to justify his proposed gun ordinance.

What do you want to bet a number of the BLM and Antifa types will be carrying weapons illegally?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 04:07:27 pm »
What do you want to bet a number of the BLM and Antifa types will be carrying weapons illegally?

Oh, you know it.  But Mayor Patootey doesn't care about them.  He's more interested in taking away guns from the lawful owners. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 04:09:34 pm »
Oh, you know it.  But Mayor Patootey doesn't care about them.  He's more interested in taking away guns from the lawful owners.

He also doesn't seem to care that what he's proposing is in violation of state law. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 04:14:16 pm »
Where's the Mayors concern about this nonstop shit?

Pittsburgh rapper Jimmy Wopo killed in double shooting in Hill District

https://www.wtae.com/article/two-transported-from-scene-of-shooting-in-pittsburgh-s-hill-district/21606108

Erie Man Shot and Killed in Pittsburgh Hill District

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/37961740/erie-man-shot-and-killed-in-pittsburgh-hill-district

Police officer witnesses shooting in Hill District's Bedford Dwellings, makes arrest

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2018/08/13/Man-hospitalized-after-being-shot-in-abdomen-at-Bedford-Dwellings/stories/201808130059

26-year-old man fatally shot in Hill District Wednesday night

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2018/05/10/26-year-old-man-fatally-shot-Hill-District-Wednesday-night/stories/201805100072

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 04:14:25 pm »
He also doesn't seem to care that what he's proposing is in violation of state law.

Do you mean the law that currently prohibits local authorities from enacting gun ordinances?  I understsnd there is some proposed legislation in the works to reverse that law.  Maybe the mayor is counting on the passage of that legislation. 

But I do expect the city ordinance, if passed, will be challenged in the courts on a number of other grounds. 

Offline rustynail

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
Hope no one brings their false flag.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 04:38:36 pm »
I thought between Philthy and Pittsburgh, the 'Burg was the sane city?   Guess the real people of Pennsylvania live somewhere in the flyover area between the two rat run poopyholes.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 04:42:17 pm »
I thought between Philthy and Pittsburgh, the 'Burg was the sane city?   Guess the real people of Pennsylvania live somewhere in the flyover area between the two rat run poopyholes.

That flyover area is politically called "The T" or generically called Pennsyltucky.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 04:45:55 pm »
That flyover area is politically called "The T" or generically called Pennsyltucky.

"It is used to characterize—usually humorously, but sometimes deprecatingly—the rural part of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania outside the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia metropolitan areas, more specifically applied to the local people and culture of its mountainous central Appalachian region."

Thanks,  learned something new today!   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 04:56:29 pm »
Do you mean the law that currently prohibits local authorities from enacting gun ordinances?  I understsnd there is some proposed legislation in the works to reverse that law.  Maybe the mayor is counting on the passage of that legislation. 

But I do expect the city ordinance, if passed, will be challenged in the courts on a number of other grounds.

Yeah there is a state firearms preemption law and State Supreme Court precedent from when Philly tried to enact laws like this and got smacked for it.

Yeah it will get challenged and shot down if they pass.

Offline verga

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 06:26:35 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 09:08:11 pm »
Well, guys, it's been announced that City Council will not vote on the anti-gun measure on Monday; the vote has been delayed till the end of January.  But the rally is expected to go on as scheduled.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 09:18:52 pm »
I understand the city is trying to make it difficult for people to attend, by shutting down some parking and the like. I'd be there, but for an earlier appointment. Kaitlin Bennett (the Kent State grad who loves guns and, thus, is hated by the media) will be there. She's feisty and funny.
Anyone showing up is asked to meet outside Pittsburgh's mayor Bill Pedutos office on Grant Street to stand together and protest his unconstitutional bill proposal that infringes on our 2nd amendment rights.

YOU MAY CARRY YOUR FIREARM OPENLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO,
IT IS NOT A MUST.
JUST SHOWING UP TO SUPPORT YOUR RIGHTS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
If you do chose to carry, please do it in a safe and responsible manner.
Also encouraged to bring signs and flags with your message.
Yes it is on a Monday but you are given enough time to request off work or call off.
 If it is important to you you will show no matter what.✊🇺🇸

This is a peaceful protest!
 ABSOLUTELY NO RIOTING NO FIGHTING
and NO TAUNTING WITH YOUR FIREARMS!
KEEP RIFLES ON YOUR SHOULDERS AND YOUR PISTOLS HOLSTERED

Parking will be the first Ave Parking Garage Address is 600 1st Ave Pittsburgh PA 15219.

The address to where the protest is at its 414 Grant Street Pittsburgh PA 15219.

We plan on meeting everyone at the first Ave parking garage by 11:30 am and walking from there to rally point.

Here is the final speaker list:

Kelly Ann Pidgeon of armed and feminine.
Aaron Bernstine 10th district state rep.
Kaitlyn Bennett the kent state open carry lady.
Justin Dillon founder of open carry Pennsylvania.
Sam Piccinini current police officer and former S.W.A.T officer in beaver county.
Wayne Kress former psp of 21 years and now running as sheriff of beaver county
Cory Kepner. one of the Erie 8.

This list is subject to change and or be added to.
https://www.facebook.com/events/302236857083148/?active_tab=about
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:35 pm »
@mountaineer

Thank you for the information.  Yes, I'm sure it's going to be loads of fun getting around Pittsburgh or trying to find a place to park on Monday.  It's not easy getting around downtown when there is nothing going on.  I talked with a friend who works down the street from the protest site.  She drives to work and I think where she parks will be closed.  She is contemplating taking off on Monday.  Not worth the hassle.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:08 pm »
I couldn't make it, due to a physical therapy appt this morning, but from what I'm reading on Facebook, it went quite well. Hundreds of people - most of them armed with everything from pistols to semi-automatic rifles - and it was peaceful. A KDKA reporter was in the midst of the throng and talked to a very well-spoken young man with an AR-15 who noted that Grant St. probably was the safest part of Pittsburgh at that moment.  :laugh: He'd be right!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 07:09:54 pm »
I couldn't make it, due to a physical therapy appt this morning, but from what I'm reading on Facebook, it went quite well. Hundreds of people - most of them armed with everything from pistols to semi-automatic rifles - and it was peaceful. A KDKA reporter was in the midst of the throng and talked to a very well-spoken young man with an AR-15 who noted that Grant St. probably was the safest part of Pittsburgh at that moment.  :laugh: He'd be right!

Oh this won't make the mayor happy! LOL!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 11:24:48 pm »

None of these crazed gun owners shot anyone?  I'm surprised.  Not!  But to hear one of the local stations prior to the protest, you would have thought these gun owners were going to start mowing down people at random.  But I believe these news outlets were just mirroring the idiot mayor.  To hear him tell it, all guns and gun owners are evil and dangerous. 

Surprisingly, there seems to have been only a handful of counterprotesters.  One of them said the pro-gun group was "disrespecting the synagogue shooting victims."  How, I don't know, but I guess that's going to be the theme around here if you oppose this ridiculous ordinance.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 11:34:27 pm »
Post-Gazette coverage.

Ooh, scary.

Participants and supporters discuss the day's events on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/302236857083148/?active_tab=discussion

There's a photo there of some of the guys with their guns, including an African-American young man with a T-shirt reading, "Black Guns Matter."  :patriot:

Another Facebook comment:
The counter protesters consisted of about 7 people. 3 of them had brass instruments that they played off and on. Someone said they were playing Jewish traditional tunes. They were ineffective in drowning out the sound system.
There were no assault weapons there, but a lot of people were open carrying semi-auto rifles😉. Mostly different versions of the AR15. Some SARs. And someone should call Robert Mueller, because I definitely saw 2 Russian Mosin Nagants.
:laugh:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:38:02 pm by mountaineer »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:31 pm »
Thanks @mountaineer

I liked the one who referred to Mayor Peduto as Mayor Potato Head.  LOL  I just call him Mayor Patootey.