Author Topic: Migrants’ Remittances to Mexico, Central America Jump to $53 Billion in 2018  (Read 992 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Migrants’ Remittances to Mexico, Central America Jump to $53 Billion in 2018
Breitbart, Jan 2, 2019, Neil Munro

Legal and illegal migrants sent $53.4 billion in remittances back to Mexico and Central America in 2018, or more than double the cost of building a border barrier on the U.S.-Mexico border, according to a World Bank report.

Remittances to Mexico reached $33.7 billion in 2018, up 21 percent from roughly $27.8 billion in 2016, the bank reported.

Remittances from the three Central Americans countries are being spiked by the growing inflow of asylum-seeking migrants into blue-collar jobs throughout the U.S. economy, via the border’s catch-and-release laws. The outflow to Central America rose to $19.7 billion in 2018, up from $15.8 billion in 2016, according to the bank.

The outflow to Central America rose 25 percent in just two years.

GOP legislators have urged Congress to pay for the $22 billion border wall by taxing migrants’ remittances.

The money sent back from the United States to Central America includes many migrants’ payments to the cartels who traffic them into the U.S. economy. The trafficking debts can start at $5,000 per head.

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/02/migrants-remittances-to-mexico-central-america-jump-to-53-billion-in-2018/

Offline thackney

10% tax on this until the wall is completed.  Then a 2% tax for care, maintenance as well as patrols.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
10% tax on this until the wall is completed.  Then a 2% tax for care, maintenance as well as patrols.

You're nice than I am.  I'd leave it at 10% period.  We need to recoup some of the money our economy is losing because that money is being wired back to where the illegals originated from.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
You're nice than I am.  I'd leave it at 10% period.  We need to recoup some of the money our economy is losing because that money is being wired back to where the illegals originated from.
make it 12.5% to recoup some of those medical, and other services they use and never pay for.

You know what I just realized, why not take a page from the democrats newest communist mental midget, tax them 70 percent!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:31:23 am by GtHawk »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Remittances are way up but illegal immigration is down?  Something doesn't calculate.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Make it 15%  !!!

THERE's the money to fund the wall !

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Screw Mexico et al.  50% surtax on all wired money.

The wall is paid for in one year.

NEXT??   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If the Gov can tax my phone to fund Obama phones for the poor and 911 service they sure can tax those transactions.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:56:35 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

25% tax on the remittances permanently
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline the_doc

Remittances are way up but illegal immigration is down?  Something doesn't calculate.

Employment/pay has trended up for our immigrants?  Benefits up, too?  (More money to send back home?)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Employment/pay has trended up for our immigrants?  Benefits up, too?  (More money to send back home?)

Like 25%? 

Offline the_doc

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I dunno.  Just sayin.'

Me either.  Just seems way off.

Offline the_doc

Me either.  Just seems way off.

Mebbe the inflow of immigrants is down somewhat, but mebbe also the total number of employable or newly-subsidizeable immigrants in the USA is actually up by a fair percentage.  (Whoa, that would be really bad news, I'm afraid.) 

Additionably, maybe the immigrants over, say, the past five or ten years have only recently gotten settled in enough to function as significant cash cows for their families (and coyotes) back home.  After all, we were all living in hard times under Obama, and the immigrants and illegals were not necessarily canny enough to quickly jump on the Social Gravy Train while times were still bad.   

Another possibility is that the data in the article are flawed (at least a bit).

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Mebbe the inflow of immigrants is down somewhat, but mebbe also the total number of employable or newly-subsidizeable immigrants in the USA is actually up by a fair percentage.  (Whoa, that would be really bad news, I'm afraid.) 

Additionably, maybe the immigrants over, say, the past five or ten years have only recently gotten settled in enough to function as significant cash cows for their families (and coyotes) back home.  After all, we were all living in hard times under Obama, and the immigrants and illegals were not necessarily canny enough to quickly jump on the Social Gravy Train while times were still bad.   

Another possibility is that the data in the article are flawed (at least a bit).

Agreed; any and all of that is possible.  Using Occam's razor though to account for 25%, says that more remittances, more illegals and/or better paid illegals.