Author Topic: Trump wants to brief congressional leaders on border wall  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump wants to brief congressional leaders on border wall
« on: January 01, 2019, 09:18:53 pm »
Trump wants to brief congressional leaders on border wall
NY Post, Jan 1, 2018, Nikki Schwab

WASHINGTON — President Trump has invited congressional leaders to the White House on Wednesday for a briefing on the southern border.

“Let’s make a deal?” he tweeted Tuesday, suggesting “Border Security and the Wall ‘thing’ and the Shutdown is not where Nancy Pelosi wanted to start her tenure as Speaker!”

Politico reported Tuesday that White House officials reached out to the top two Republicans and Democrats in the incoming House and Senate on New Year’s Eve and invited them to the sit-down, which will also include officials from the Department of Homeland Security.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and House Speaker-designate Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) have been invited, along with their deputies, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.).

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who officially becomes the top-ranking House Republican on Thursday, was invited, along with his No. 2, Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), as well as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his deputy, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.).

The White House didn’t immediately return a request for comment.

More:  https://nypost.com/2019/01/01/trump-wants-to-brief-congressional-leaders-on-border-wall/

Re: Trump wants to brief congressional leaders on border wall
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:19:11 pm »
Let the games begin.   :smokin:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 10:43:50 pm »

Games?  Seriously?  Quite honestly, I'm sick of the damn games from both sides.  We need border security.

Tomorrow is the last day of 'Let's Make A Deal' with this Congress.  January 3rd a new Congress will be sworn in and it's back to square one.  Leadership is still the Turtle in the Senate and we've got to deal with Nancy's nonsense once again in the House.  Same ole blame game. Why people keep thinking that the results will be any different with the same FAILED leadership is truly absurd.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:45:04 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:26 pm »
Games?  Seriously?  Quite honestly, I'm sick of the damn games from both sides.

Pace yourself.  You're going to be on valium drip before this is over.

Substitute the word "negotiations" for "games".  Maybe this will help.   :laugh:

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 11:08:10 pm »
    It's all the same crap with the same scripted results, besides he's about 18 months too late to do anything in his first term. 
    Personally I'd rather watch Season 3 of The Apprentice, both will be painfully excruciating to me devoid of any 'REAL' value.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 11:17:53 pm »
Games?  Seriously?  Quite honestly, I'm sick of the damn games from both sides.  We need border security.

Tomorrow is the last day of 'Let's Make A Deal' with this Congress.  January 3rd a new Congress will be sworn in and it's back to square one.  Leadership is still the Turtle in the Senate and we've got to deal with Nancy's nonsense once again in the House.  Same ole blame game. Why people keep thinking that the results will be any different with the same FAILED leadership is truly absurd.

It's not the same leadership.  The Turtle has come around a bit in supporting Trump and Nancy and Chuck have no respect to draw on.  The main thing is we have a President who is determined on this issue and won't back down.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 11:19:24 pm »
    It's all the same crap with the same scripted results, besides he's about 18 months too late to do anything in his first term. 
    Personally I'd rather watch Season 3 of The Apprentice, both will be painfully excruciating to me devoid of any 'REAL' value.

888high58888   :amen:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:20:47 pm »
It's not the same leadership.  The Turtle has come around a bit in supporting Trump and Nancy and Chuck have no respect to draw on.  The main thing is we have a President who is determined on this issue and won't back down.

:rolling:  :rolling:  Unless McConnell isn't the Senate leader and Pelosi isn't the House leader; all IS the same.  Do nothing Ryan is at least gone from the equation.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 11:28:06 pm »

Substitute the word "negotiations" for "games".  Maybe this will help.   :laugh:

Pace myself?  You're a riot.  The only one getting excited and promoting drugs is YOU!!

I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago, unfortunately those taking the ride on the Trump train are still blinded.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:32:30 pm »
Pace myself?  You're a riot.  The only one getting excited and promoting drugs is YOU!!

I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago, unfortunately those taking the ride on the Trump train are still blinded.

No, really, @libertybele , RIV is right.  You're a smart girl, but you see the dark cloud in every silver lining and you post constantly and 90% negatively.  Sorry, but it gets really old.

You might be happier with an elegant President who promised nothing about the border but said dignified things.  Trump cares about border security and it seems to be your main issue, so you might think about giving him an occasional break.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 11:46:06 pm »
No, really, @libertybele , RIV is right.  You're a smart girl, but you see the dark cloud in every silver lining and you post constantly and 90% negatively.  Sorry, but it gets really old.

You might be happier with an elegant President who promised nothing about the border but said dignified things.  Trump cares about border security and it seems to be your main issue, so you might think about giving him an occasional break.

Actually, if you were to go back and read my posts, you would see that I have given him credit when due. You and the rest of the Trumpsters can keep riding the Trump train all you want ... some of us are wise enough to realize that the train is now in a tunnel with not a whole lot of light at the end.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:47:46 pm by libertybele »

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 12:01:40 am »
   If I'm not mistaken @libertybele you were quite the Trumper in the beginning of his Administration, more so than some here that now want to blame you for all the ills because you are not 'On Board' now, as is your prerogative. 
   I still consider you much more  fairer towards him than some Briefer's (like me), who seem to be in perpetual butthurt mode.
   The GOP is lost, even moreso now that Trump is in charge, screw em. 
   We must start over, without the baggage of the cultist, (dem/rep alike) they'll find someone else to idolize, they always do.  Conservatism, the likes of Buckley and Goldwater MUST survive, I may not see it in my lifetime, but I'm not giving up.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 12:02:52 am »
Actually, if you were to go back and read my posts, you would see that I have given him credit when due. You and the rest of the Trumpsters can keep riding the Trump train all you want ... some of us are wise enough to realize that the train is now in a tunnel with not a whole lot of light at the end.

Trump can't undo the mistake of trying to work with the Pubs to get this done, but now that the lines are drawn he has to win. The only way to win is to hold firm. If it takes months that's fine. If the Rats want to make it an all inclusive comprehensive reform that's fine, as long as it includes resolving the other issues such as chain migration and visa enforcement.

The bottom line is Trump has to stand firm, nothing will be done until this is resolved.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 12:40:29 am »
   If I'm not mistaken @libertybele you were quite the Trumper in the beginning of his Administration, more so than some here that now want to blame you for all the ills because you are not 'On Board' now, as is your prerogative. 
   I still consider you much more  fairer towards him than some Briefer's (like me), who seem to be in perpetual butthurt mode.
   We must start over, without the baggage of the cultist, (dem/rep alike) they'll find someone else to idolize, they always do.  Conservatism, the likes of Buckley and Goldwater MUST survive, I may not see it in my lifetime, but I'm not giving up.

Please!  Nope.  I've never been a Trumper.  I was and still am a Ted fan.  I found Trump's inauguration events quite patriotic, I was pleased when he put a conservative on the bench.  Other than that, one issue at a time, giving him credit when due. He's been good on the economy. Don't like his rants, tweets, narcissism, etc., and I am appalled that he offered Chuckie asylum on DACA. He waited till the eleventh hour on the wall deal which I question as to why.

Early on I did also mention that I thought Trump was merely a siphon for the DEMS to stop a conservative from being seated in the WH.  I still question Trump's motives.  Clinton still roams free ... Trump appointed Rosenstein ... yadda ...yadda ...yadda....

Yes, he is who we have to work with and he is who we have standing between full blown amnesty, the sovereignty of this country and the liberal leftist tyrants.  Helluva deal, isn't it?

I think I've been fair to this president, but please don't put me in the same category as the Trumpsters on the train to Rainbowville.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:42:03 am by libertybele »

Online corbe

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 12:54:56 am »
   My bad, @libertybele I've obviously confused you with someone else here. 
   I use the term 'Trumper' kinda loosely here but always as a nomenclature and not a derogatory, Many Briefers of whom I have the upmost respect for are Trumpers or on the fence~giving due respect when he does something good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 01:37:19 am »

Whoa, @libertybele   I know you give Trump credit occasionally but grudgingly and always with a caveat but that is totally okay.

I don't consider myself a Trumpster but I defend him against all the silly posts that people here make about him.

I just wish you could see light at the end of that tunnel and not give up so quickly.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 01:49:24 am »

@corbe  Whatever floats your boat, but you are wrong.  The GOP was drifting into status quo mode and enjoying their places in the sun and the Senate before Trump came along.  Trump has at least put a bug under their butts.  He is a force for good in the party whether they like him or not.

You know I was (and am) a fervent Ted Cruz supporter, but I don't think he could have done much better in this climate than Trump has.  Ya know the mainline pubbies didn't like him either.

You can dream of a Buckley Utopia if that makes you happy but I think Trump is moving the country in the right direction in several areas:  The economy is an obvious plus.  The emphasis on border control has awakened people and Trump has pushed it far harder than any predecessor; I like his take on a lot of foreign policy like taking us out of the Paris Accord and out of Syria.

He is an original thinker maybe because he didn't spend his life in mainstream politics.

Yep, he is a crude guy and his tweets offend a lot of people but that is only a part of him.

I was as much a Trump hater as you are before I had my epiphany, but I managed to put most of that aside because ... like Obi Wan Kenobi, he's our only hope.

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 05:24:46 am »
Tomorrow is the last day of 'Let's Make A Deal' with this Congress.  January 3rd a new Congress will be sworn in

So obviously he isn't talking to this Congress, he's sending a message to the next Congress before they're seated.
I won't accept.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 07:48:06 am »
Ross Perot would refer to the next two years as hyper gridlock.  Nothing will get done in Congress.  Nothing.

Both parties want President Trump gone.  The media want President Trump gone.  All he has is the Freedom Caucus and 65+ million Americans that believe he is doing the right thing.

I personally believe he has the ability to be the greatest president this country has ever seen.  But he cannot act alone, he needs Congress.  But for the next two years, there will be nothing.  The House may impeach him, but I doubt that hurts him in 2020.  In fact, I believe that will strengthen the GOP for 2020.

Finally, if he gets true majorities with the election in 2020, I hope they pass legislation reducing the powers of the judicial branch of government.  At no time should any random federal judge have the ability to impede the president of the USA.  NEVER!

Finally, we need to amend the Constitution, which is inadequate for present day times.  Never should anyone age 35 be qualified to be president.  And it should require something more than age 35 and born in the USA to natural born citizens.  I have had greater requirements when recruiting a Systems Analyst to work for me.  Let's get serious here!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 02:44:40 pm »

Seriously? There has been a problem at the border since the Eisenhower Administration (Operation Wetback).

Just how many lifetimes are we supposed to wait?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 04:19:10 pm »
Seriously? There has been a problem at the border since the Eisenhower Administration (Operation Wetback).

Just how many lifetimes are we supposed to wait?

I guess we'll have to wait until we elect Congress critters who see this issue as important as most of the public and the President does.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 04:28:18 pm »
I guess we'll have to wait until we elect Congress critters who see this issue as important as most of the public and the President does.

Don't hold your breath.  As long as we have politicians who are making money off of drugs and guns that are coming across the border, it's not going to happen.  As long as the prospect of illegals coming across eventually being granted asylum or amnesty and significantly increasing the DEM voting base, it's not going to happen.

Our greatest chance of getting a wall and the enforcement of existing immigration laws was/is NOW under Trump...as I've already pointed out however, he wasted valuable time and a GOP majority the past two years.  So I'm not all that convinced he was as sincere about the issue as he has led you to believe.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 04:29:13 pm »

...and it will begin in the situation room. Trump chose the situation room for this meeting with the Director of homeland security present, to impress upon these entering congresscritters the important national security concerns of the current border situation.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:26:07 pm by aligncare »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 04:34:33 pm »
Give em the briefing with all the National security details. Then whil they are on their way out thinking of what they will tell the waiting press, go to the WH briefing room and “trump” their time outside by announcing unilateral actions he will take to defend the national security of this country from invading forces.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 04:52:38 pm »

If this was a priority to McConnell, he would have exercised the nuclear option before Christmas.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.