Author Topic: Pesky robocalls targeted by 40 state attorneys general, including Texas AG Paxton  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Applewood

My favorite is the guy from Microsoft who knows about 25 words of English and needs access to my PC so he can fix it. If I'm not busy it can be fun to string him along for a while...

Do you mean the scam where your computer screen is locked and to unlock it, one has to call "Microsoft" -- only the number given is not for Microsoft, but rather for some scam outfit in India?  A friend of mine fell for that scam and had even had the "fee" to fix the problem charged to her credit card.  She was able to contact the credit card company which voided the transaction before it could go through and issue her a new card.   But she had to go through some hassles to restore her OS, get rid of malware/spyware and such.  She even changed her phone number -- the scammers continued to call her.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Cyber wrote in #18 above:
"Nomorobo was not available for my carrier, so i cut the land line."

Nomorobo doesn't work over copper-based landline.
It works using "VOIP" connections ("voice-over-internet-protocol").

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Do you mean the scam where your computer screen is locked and to unlock it, one has to call "Microsoft" -- only the number given is not for Microsoft, but rather for some scam outfit in India?  A friend of mine fell for that scam and had even had the "fee" to fix the problem charged to her credit card.  She was able to contact the credit card company which voided the transaction before it could go through and issue her a new card.   But she had to go through some hassles to restore her OS, get rid of malware/spyware and such.  She even changed her phone number -- the scammers continued to call her.

No, this is just a cold call I get once or twice a year - like phishing but with an actual live person on the line and getting audibly frustrated that I can't seem to understand how to let him into my PC. Of course I'm not even at my PC, but I'll let him spin his wheels for a while (Oh wait - my monitor wasn't turned on - could that be why it wouldn't boot?) and then tell him there's someone at the door, I'll be right back, and see how long he lasts before hanging up...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline roamer_1

My favorite is the guy from Microsoft who knows about 25 words of English and needs access to my PC so he can fix it. If I'm not busy it can be fun to string him along for a while...

Yeah, that's fun... I am a tech so it is a kick to lead em around. They say there is a problem with my computer, so I ask em which one... Which seems they don't have a card to read for that question...
so they keep on bullshalating, so I ask if they can give me a IP and a Mac addy... so that I can identify which machine (which is the only way a legit outfit COULD identify a machine)... So I become amenable to them helping me with the machine I am in front of...

Then I will 'uh, oh, someone is at the door, hold on a sec...' and fifteeeeeen minutes later, the poor sap is still waiting...

Eventually it gets around to them trying to lead me through step by step to turn on remote services, which I really can't figure out... and maybe after a half hour or so, come to the 'realization' that I am on a Linux box and they are giving me Windows instructions.  :silly:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Cyber wrote in #18 above:
"Nomorobo was not available for my carrier, so i cut the land line."

Nomorobo doesn't work over copper-based landline.
It works using "VOIP" connections ("voice-over-internet-protocol").

Cox is VoIP.  Didn't offer it so I told them to stick it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
My favorite is the computer voice telling me that my Microsoft Windows computer has a virus. You lazy bastages. I don't even rate a real person??? It's no wonder I am in counseling.

If I get a real person, I give them "I know this is you, Bucky. Bring back my dog or I will kill your kids. I swear on a stack of Bibles I will ...kill...your...kids. Then I'll be on your wife like a pit bull on a toddler. Bring back my dog today or start picking out hymns for your dead azz kids, Bucky."

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:24:00 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Then there's the one where the IRS is about to issue a warrant for your arrest unless you provide certain info...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I just lay the phone down and see how long it takes for them to figure out there is no one on the other end.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Cyber wrote:
"Cox is VoIP.  Didn't offer it so I told them to stick it."

Nomorobo requires something called "simultaneous ring" (when your phone rings, it rings Nomorobo's number as well).

For whatever reason, Cox doesn't offer simultaneous ring with their setup.
Hence Nomorobo can't work with them.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Oh, He calls You?

To get him I usually have to call them.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
We're the same--If I don't recognize the number, they can talk to the beep...but that only works on the landline. The ones who call on my cell are the real PITA.
I don't know what kind of phone you have, I have an Android and use https://hiya.com/, it has a a knowledge base of scammers and makes it really easy to blacklist or block numbers. The number of scam calls to my cell have dropped dramatically.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They call my mom occasionally and it really confuses her because she has never owned a computer in her life, there is also the one where they say they need to refund money for a purchased plan that they never activated, so if you will just supply your bank account number please..........

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Then there's the one where the IRS is about to issue a warrant for your arrest unless you provide certain info...

Love those.

Start off by telling them, "You're full of shit because the real IRS never calls anyone. They use the mail."

Immediate hang up.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com