Author Topic: Cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal granted appeal, spurring outrage from widow of slain police officer  (Read 1134 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal granted appeal, spurring outrage from widow of slain police officer
Christopher Carbone

The widow of a Philadelphia police officer who was gunned down 37 years ago in the line of duty is "outraged" over a judge's decision last week to grant her husband's killer a chance to appeal his conviction.

On Thursday, Judge Leon Tucker granted Mumia Abu-Jamal another opportunity to appeal his 1981 conviction in the death of Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner. Abu-Jamal spent three decades on death row before his sentence in the shooting death of Faulkner was thrown out over flawed jury instructions.

Prosecutors agreed to a sentence of life without parole, and Abu-Jamal's final appeal was rejected by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in 2012. However, the judge ruled on Thursday that former Justice Ronald Castille should have recused himself because of statements he made as a prosecutor about police killers that suggest potential bias.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/widow-of-slain-police-officer-outraged-after-her-husbands-killer-mumia-abu-jamal-is-granted-appeal

OK, granted appeal, I thought when I first saw this, they were releasing him, NO. Hopefully, the facts of the case, are clear enough that he did it and I have heard, the facts of the case, do show he did it.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Ugh, I'm having flashbacks of the "Free Mumia" tee shirts I saw all over Austin when I lived there.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Applewood

This killer was convicted in 1981.  He has had numerous opportunities for appeal since then, all of which were turned down.  Unless there is some new evidence that might exonerate him, there should not be another appeal.  All it does is waste time and taxpayer money.   Bad enough taxpayers are paying to keep the SOB alive.  We shouldn't be paying for all his frivolous appeals too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
He's made speeches at college graduations, what are those? Keynote speakers, anyway, thankfully, they were recorded speeches and he did not go to the college to speak. I might have posted some of those stories 2 years ago or so.

Offline Applewood

He's made speeches at college graduations, what are those? Keynote speakers, anyway, thankfully, they were recorded speeches and he did not go to the college to speak. I might have posted some of those stories 2 years ago or so.

Mumia is a liberal celebrity darling.  Ed Asner, the actor, is one of his champions.  I remember watching a documentary some years ago about this case.  At one point in the program, Ed Asner was side by side with the prosecutor in the case.  Asner was making all sorts of claims about planted evidence, exculpatory evidence that presumably would have cleared Mumia, yadda-yadda-yadda.  On every point, the prosecutor refuted Asner's claims. No doubt about it.  Mumia killed that officer in cold blood.  He should have been executed a long time ago.  Just too bad some bleeding heart liberal judges commuted his sentence from death to life in prison.  Not that a death penalty would have been meant execution in PA anyway.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Years ago I had an assignment in Paris. I was walking to my hotel past the Eiffel Tower where I saw a huge pro Mumia rally. I was cornered by a camera crew from some French TV station and they wanted my response. I told them I worked for an American media company, showed them my press card, which of course made me unacceptable for their interview.

The woman told me she thought he should be released, and I told her to interview Danny Faulkner’s widow.  And walked away. She didn’t seem happy I said it, because it would ruin her narrative, but she couldn’t use what I said because

1. I was a fellow member of the 4th estate so it was off record.
2. I didn’t sign a release
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's time to face reality that Abu-Jamal will never be executed for his crime.

The best we can hope for is that he be kept confined for life.

Offline Applewood

It's time to face reality that Abu-Jamal will never be executed for his crime.

The best we can hope for is that he be kept confined for life.

Well, in PA, a death sentence generally means life in prison anyway.  The last execution in this state was in 1999.  One death row inmate in PA died in prison last year of natural causes.  He had been on death row since 1981. 

So unless some twit judge or panel of judges decide this appeal has merit, Mumia is staying in prison at taxpayer expense.