Author Topic: The IRS wants help scouring social media for clues on tax cheats  (Read 1564 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

The IRS wants help scouring social media for clues on tax cheats

By Jared Gilmour

December 28, 2018 04:29 PM,

Updated December 28, 2018 04:29 PM

Entrepreneurs who are cheating taxes with online stores, beware: The IRS is looking for new ways to catch suspected tax cheats over social media.

Specifically, the IRS wants a new tool to help it check public social media feeds and websites for details on people already suspected of not complying with the tax code, the tax-collecting agency said in a Dec. 18 request for information from vendors.

Social media could provide investigators with a treasure trove of data, showing where taxpayers live, what they drive and what they’re selling online. That data could be useful to the IRS as it tries to catch people cheating on their taxes — if the agency can figure out how to collect and use it without running afoul of its own internal rules.

The IRS said it doesn’t want to comb through every taxpayer’s social media — just those they’re already investigating, according to the request for information.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article223681430.html#storylink=cpy

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The IRS wants help scouring social media for clues on tax cheats
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 01:31:12 am »
Maybe they should just go after the ones who post ads like "I made over 19000 dollars in this from home business"... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:00:00 pm »
Maybe they should just go after the ones who post ads like "I made over 19000 dollars in this from home business"... :shrug:

My daughter-in-law bakes custom cakes/cupcakes and cinnamon rolls out of her home and announces her sold creations with pics on FaceBook.    :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:04:38 pm »
My daughter-in-law bakes custom cakes/cupcakes and cinnamon rolls out of her home and announces her sold creations with pics on FaceBook.    :laugh:
oops..... :shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:20:12 pm »
Or they could just make Al Sharpton pay up.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 03:03:27 pm »
Let's cut to the chase here! The IRS is antithetical to a FREE people!  It has been used by the political elites for their nefarious purposes from day one and urgently needs to be thrown onto the ash heap of history where it properly belongs!

http://fairtax.org

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 11:22:21 pm »
"The IRS said it doesn’t want to comb through every taxpayer’s social media — just those they’re already investigating, according to the request for information."

Yeah, sure...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 11:30:41 pm »
Sounds a little too secret police for me.
The Republic is lost.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 11:40:43 pm »
I used to work for a company that gave year end bonuses. However, whatever bonus I received 40-50% was confiscated by the government for whatever bullshit reason. It was deceptive. The company would say, We are giving you a $5000 bonus! But I would only get a percentage of that amount.

It was an "us" bonus. My good work and innovation gave me a bonus, as well as the government 'bonus' which I earned for them. Just my small contribution to the 150 billion dollars Obama/Jarrett sent to their buddies in Iran.

It is weird to get 'punished' by the government for earning a bonus. "Dats mines money! You didn't build that!"
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 11:41:02 pm »
Sounds a little too secret police for me.

The real point here was that the 'Special Policia' system was Program Ready.   

All that ammunition was purchased directly from manufacturers during the Obama regime with the clear understanding the baton was going to the Queen Hillary the Magnificent.

Don't kid yourselves.   They were going to stack the SCOTUS with more activist anti-Constitution jurists.

That was only 1 step away from getting a 3am knock on the door for something you've been posting on social media.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:50:47 pm »
I used to work for a company that gave year end bonuses. However, whatever bonus I received 40-50% was confiscated by the government for whatever bullshit reason. It was deceptive. The company would say, We are giving you a $5000 bonus! But I would only get a percentage of that amount.

It was an "us" bonus. My good work and innovation gave me a bonus, as well as the government 'bonus' which I earned for them. Just my small contribution to the 150 billion dollars Obama/Jarrett sent to their buddies in Iran.

It is weird to get 'punished' by the government for earning a bonus. "Dats mines money! You didn't build that!"

I get what you're saying.  Most of my career I received performance bonuses, some quite healthy because I gave up (tons of) personal time, etc.

But if it's not taxed as regular wages, employers and employees would game the system making most of wages "bonus".  Kind of like how we ended up with employer provided health insurance.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 12:17:13 am »
Let's cut to the chase here! The IRS is antithetical to a FREE people!  It has been used by the political elites for their nefarious purposes from day one and urgently needs to be thrown onto the ash heap of history where it properly belongs!

http://fairtax.org

The only thing I'd help the IRS with is their abolishment.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 01:46:51 am »

Think of all the people out there who basically work for tips. Their wages are crap, it's the tips that pay the bills. Now consider what a tip is. It's a gratuity, a 'thank you' for service, from the providee to the provider. If the IRS doesn't think enough of that 'thank you' is claimed as income, according to some formula they have, they will make up some number and tax the income they claim someone made whether they did or not--and the burden to prove they did not falls on the employee (or in rare instances, their employer, too)--forcing the taxpayer to prove innocence, and prove a negative (they didn't make that much money), damn the 5th, the 14th, and due process.

Of course, the little people who make those tips seldom can afford the costs of taking it up as a legal matter--the IRS has unlimited money, by comparison, to feed lawyers and can bankrupt them into a 'settlement' where people who didn't make that much money are forced to pay the taxes on it anyway, and a penalty to boot.

What I want to know, simply enough, is how an exchange of my time and skill for whatever (cash, chickens, a weaner pig, car parts) becomes taxable income. It isn't a net gain, except in that I now have something more desirable to ME than the time I spent in exchange for it. It's an exchange, value for value, no net gain.

If I had invested $1000 and without spending any more time or effort recovered $1200 because the value of my investment had increased, then there would be $200 in income there, because I didn't just exchange my time and effort for the fruits of someone else's time and effort. There would have been a net gain.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 04:36:03 am »
The only thing I'd help the IRS with is their abolishment.

@austingirl

Likewise! and the sooner the better!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien