Author Topic: Court rules mothers' drug use in pregnancy isn't child abuse  (Read 771 times)

rangerrebew

Court rules mothers' drug use in pregnancy isn't child abuse
« on: December 29, 2018, 05:10:09 pm »
Court rules mothers' drug use in pregnancy isn't child abuse
Two justices who dissented say what should matter is when the injury manifests itself, and that can be after the child is born.
Dec. 28, 2018 / 1:16 PM EST
By Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Pennsylvania's highest court says mothers who use illegal drugs while pregnant can't be considered perpetrators of child abuse against their newly born children under the state's child protection law.

The court's main opinion issued Friday says the law's definition of a child doesn't include fetuses or unborn children, and it says victims of perpetrators must be children.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/court-rules-mothers-drug-use-pregnancy-isn-t-child-abuse-n952721
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:10:50 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Court rules mothers' drug use in pregnancy isn't child abuse
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 05:12:30 pm »
The ruling had to be that way or else it would have given personhood to unborn babies and the court wasn't going to be responsible for the mess that would create. :judge:

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 05:18:09 pm »
The ruling had to be that way or else it would have given personhood to unborn babies and the court wasn't going to be responsible for the mess that would create. :judge:

What mess is that?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:22:31 pm »
Gee. 'Mom' must not have been smoking cigarettes...(tobacco cigarettes, that is).  But, yeah, admitting the baby could be abused in the womb kinda flies in the face of that whole choice thing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 05:48:54 pm »
Gee. 'Mom' must not have been smoking cigarettes...(tobacco cigarettes, that is).  But, yeah, admitting the baby could be abused in the womb kinda flies in the face of that whole choice thing.
Yes. This ruling was not about the issue at hand. The judges were making a ruling on abortion instead.
What is it that the Leftists say? "A fetus is just a kind of tumor."
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 06:24:08 pm »
In other words, a fetus isn't a child and the damage done to a child by the mother while said child is still in the womb is not child abuse.  I am sure every doctor, nurse and technician in the NICU would disagree.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 01:05:23 am »
In other words, a fetus isn't a child and the damage done to a child by the mother while said child is still in the womb is not child abuse.  I am sure every doctor, nurse and technician in the NICU would disagree.
Sure they would. But once again, science must be discarded because it doesn't fit the agenda.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis