Author Topic: The secret behind chicken soup's medical magic  (Read 904 times)

rangerrebew

The secret behind chicken soup's medical magic
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:22:48 pm »

The secret behind chicken soup's medical magic
December 26, 2018

(HealthDay)—Many people rely on chicken noodle soup to soothe a cold, but few know exactly why the warm broth brings relief.

But one dietitian can explain its magic.

"Studies have shown that a hearty bowl of chicken noodle soup may help clear nasal congestion and ease cold symptoms," said Sandy Allonen, a clinical dietitian at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. "It's all about the ingredients."

When you have a cold, it's also important to stay hydrated, she added.

"A clear broth is warm and soothing, making it a great source of hydration while you're sick, especially if you have a sore throat," Allonen said in a hospital news release.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-12-secret-chicken-soup-medical-magic.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: The secret behind chicken soup's medical magic
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:51:13 pm »
Good article and link.

What's become popular is just "bone broth" these days.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 05:34:14 pm »
Good article and link.

What's become popular is just "bone broth" these days.

Bone broth is basically stock like my mother used to make.  It comes from roasting, say, a whole chicken or a turkey, then making a broth from the bones.  Usually, whatever meat is difficult to remove from the bones is thrown in. 

For years following Thanksgiving dinner, my job was to go around to the neighbors across the street from my parents and then down the street to my aunt and uncle's house to collect their turkey carcasses (the polite term is "frame").    Mom would take the remnants of each frame and make her broth or stock and freeze it in several containers.  When she wanted to make homemade soup, she dug out one or more of the containers, and added whatever other ingredients to make soup.  There is nothing to compare with homemade soup made from stock. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:50:40 pm »
We bought some "BBQ'ed" chicken when we were in Aiken NC for the Collard Green Festival. They really meant smoked chicken. We made stock from it and put it in small containers to add to regular stock because it was really smokey.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:59:18 pm »
Bone broth is basically stock like my mother used to make.  It comes from roasting, say, a whole chicken or a turkey, then making a broth from the bones.  Usually, whatever meat is difficult to remove from the bones is thrown in. 

For years following Thanksgiving dinner, my job was to go around to the neighbors across the street from my parents and then down the street to my aunt and uncle's house to collect their turkey carcasses (the polite term is "frame").    Mom would take the remnants of each frame and make her broth or stock and freeze it in several containers.  When she wanted to make homemade soup, she dug out one or more of the containers, and added whatever other ingredients to make soup.  There is nothing to compare with homemade soup made from stock.

Bone broth is the latest fad and 'superfood', I even read an article that in NYC, places sell it the way you would buy a cup of coffee.

This was discussed more in another thread not long ago.

CVS among other places, is selling this kind of bone broth protein.

Chicken bone broth definitely in this case, just to clarify.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:00:12 pm by TomSea »