Author Topic: Fast-food industry turns to seniors as reliable workers  (Read 976 times)

rangerrebew

Fast-food industry turns to seniors as reliable workers
« on: December 28, 2018, 02:49:50 pm »
Fast-food industry turns to seniors as reliable workers

Andrew MalcolmPosted at 5:31 pm on December 26, 2018

Faced with a labor shortage of willing workers due to the humming national economy, a growing number of restaurants and fast-food chains are turning to a new source: Seniors.

Traditionally, such workplaces have been the workforce entry point for teenagers. They still are for many.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/12/26/senior-citizens-taking-over-the-front-counter/

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Fast-food industry turns to seniors as reliable workers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:35:08 pm »
No surprise there.

American Seniors grew up in a country where you had to do more than just Show Up to get a paycheck.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 06:55:04 pm »
Not exaggerating here.  30% of the time my fast food order is screwed up  somehow in drive thru.    Wrong or no  dressing, no straw, no ketchup, no silverware, sweetened ice tea when I want unsweetened.  etc.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 06:56:24 pm »
I've been noticing this in businesses other than fast food as well.  I've also noticed that seniors are pleasant and courteous providers.  No sullen looks and grunts, no slamming things down.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 07:04:17 pm »
I don't do fast food to gauge this trend but I will say every grocery store (Publix, Winn-Dixie, Kroger) Except WallyWorld utilizes a lot of Seniors in almost every dept.   Our Walmart pay is for shit so they get the dregs for employees.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 07:43:30 pm »
I've been noticing this in businesses other than fast food as well.  I've also noticed that seniors are pleasant and courteous providers.  No sullen looks and grunts, no slamming things down.
We also know how to make change.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 08:00:22 pm »
We also know how to make change.

And count it back to them. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 08:10:13 pm »
I see a lot of seniors working at the WAWA near me
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 08:43:26 pm »
I don't have much complaints about the younger workers when the wife and I get take out, go to restaurants, or shop.
Maybe it's my part of the country (upper Midwest), but most young people we meet in these places are usually very well-mannered, courteous, and friendly. I've yet to meet one who was obnoxious/rude. And they do a good job.
The worst situation with a young person behind the counter I can remember was in England some years ago. I went into a convenience store to get a drink or snack.
After finding my item, I went to the counter to pay. Behind the counter was a young person, male I would guess of Pakistani or Indian descent.
He was reclining on his chair (he had it tilted back as far as it could go without collapsing)   behind the counter and talking on the phone to one of his friends as he rang up my purchase. He never said a word to me, not "thanks for shopping here" or whatever.  I gave him an evil look after paying and left the store.  I've never seen anything like that in any American place of business.
I very much would have liked to have kicked the chair out from underneath him, but I'd probably still be in some English jail or prison.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 12:24:58 am »

The grocery store that I frequent (only one in town) hires older workers during the day.  Much friendlier and more efficient than at night with "the kids".

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 08:58:15 am »
Older workers generally can pry themselves away from their phone long enough to get the job done.

Too many younger 'workers' are obsessed with their gadgets.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 12:58:12 pm »

The grocery store that I frequent (only one in town) hires older workers during the day.  Much friendlier and more efficient than at night with "the kids".
That's because they're working during the day and aren't missing out on life outside work.

I know. I worked both.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 01:01:58 pm »
Also, people with disabilities.   I've seen several of them in fast food joints and at the local supermarket.  Anyone with any kind of a disability makes a far better employee than many of these kids.  Might be minimum wage jobs, but these people are happy to be working.  Makes them and the seniors feel useful.  And the employer gets reliable employees.