Author Topic: Shutdown to drag on with no House votes expected this week  (Read 15016 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Shutdown to drag on with no House votes expected this week
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 02:59:17 am »
Outside the Military, Treasury, and State, this thing can be shutdown permanently as far as I am concerned.

90% of what Fedzilla provides is redundant with State and local services anyway.
Add the federal courts to that list, as the preponderance of laws passed by Congress on criminal offences are already covered by state laws.

Case in point is the recent legislation by Congress to make it a federal crime to kill someone by lynching.

Why do we need this if a state convicts the accused of murder?  It simply clogs up the federal courts and in my mind actually skirts the issue of no double jeopardy if found innocent of the murder charge in state court.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 06:40:38 am »
Outside the Military, Treasury, and State, this thing can be shutdown permanently as far as I am concerned.

90% of what Fedzilla provides is redundant with State and local services anyway.

I don't disagree with that sentiment but just seems to me that that old fashioned notion of American fair play and respect for the Constitution would have the jobs cut by the legislature. Hanging Fed employees out there no matter how much one may disagree with the policy just doesn't seem right from my upbringing in this country.

Being a baby boomer I honestly can't wait until till we die out, we were given a amazing free country where everyone was an American and we've turned it into a dysfunctional Appalachia  holler.... :shrug: 

Offline bilo

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2018, 06:42:18 pm »
There is question as to whether or not Trump has the authority to have the Army Corp of Engineers build the wall and I believe that redirecting funds would still have to be approved.

Even if he's stopped in the courts, Trump wins. The base sees he's doing everything he possibly can to follow through. As it stands now it's just a lot of talk with no results.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 11:12:28 pm »
There is question as to whether or not Trump has the authority to have the Army Corp of Engineers build the wall and I believe that redirecting funds would still have to be approved.
If Obama had the authority to send a billion $ pallet of cash to the Iranians for nothing but enrich America's enemy, I believe Trump certainly has the authority to direct monies that directly protect this country.

The sworn oath of a President to defend this country from external threats supersedes any monetary impediments that are present.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 11:21:58 pm »
If Obama had the authority to send a billion $ pallet of cash to the Iranians for nothing but enrich America's enemy, I believe Trump certainly has the authority to direct monies that directly protect this country.

The sworn oath of a President to defend this country from external threats supersedes any monetary impediments that are present.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Yes,but will a Dim-controlled Congress that is lusting after the illegal alien vote see it that way,or will they start filing suits to stop Trump?

I think we both know the answers to this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online corbe

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 11:33:18 pm »
    @sneakypete I've always considered you to be an Intelligent Individual, though at times quite volatile (that's an admirable quality, to me) but how can you overlook the GOP's desire for cheap labor in this mess?

EVERIFY and Biometric on Temporary VISA's are things that everyone, Dem and GOP has failed us on miserably for decades, though the technology is and has been there.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 12:08:08 am »
    @sneakypete I've always considered you to be an Intelligent Individual, though at times quite volatile (that's an admirable quality, to me) but how can you overlook the GOP's desire for cheap labor in this mess?

@corbe

I don't and never have ignored the danger and treason of the so-called American globalists. I have been ranting and raving about the GOP since Boy Jorge was an alleged President (it was really his mommy),and most of my posts against the left also includes the globalist right.

The truth is the 'murikan left as represented by the Dims are communists,and the 'murikan right as represented by the globalist GOP are fascists. Two different leftist governmental systems that complete with one another,but have a hell of a lot in common,also.

And the bad news is the communists and the fascists have already won,and this happened because we needed a revolution followed by public hangings 20 years ago and it didn't happen.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:11:05 am by sneakypete »

Online libertybele

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 12:58:40 am »

EVERIFY and Biometric on Temporary VISA's are things that everyone, Dem and GOP has failed us on miserably for decades, though the technology is and has been there.

I for one am against e-verify for one simple reason.  Those that are here illegally and hiding in the shadows aren't going to comply to begin with and those employers who hire them are going to find a way to bypass the system; i.e., paying them cash.  So, e-verify may work to a degree, but basically IMHO it is a way for big brother to keep an eye on you and I.  E-verify only works on employers who are on the up and up; all others would have to get caught before e-verify would even remotely have an effect on them.  The best solution is to build a wall, start mass deportation and cut off all the 'perks' that attract them to come here in the first place.

We already have to provide documentation up the ying yang to get a driver's license, but there are plenty of illegal who obtain illegal documentation in order to drive and I'm not certain that all states are yet Real ID compliant.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 01:26:24 am »
The House is not holding up doing up things.  It is the Senate.

DING DING DING  !!!  WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

(It's the Schumer Shutdown)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 01:31:27 am »

DING DING DING  !!!  WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

(It's the Schumer Shutdown)

So .... not quite sure how this scenario will play out when the new Congress is sworn in, in a couple of days .... obviously the majority in the Senate will be larger ... or will this issue have to play out under the current Senate??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2018, 01:35:14 am »
So .... not quite sure how this scenario will play out when the new Congress is sworn in, in a couple of days .... obviously the majority in the Senate will be larger ... or will this issue have to play out under the current Senate??

Once the new House is seated, the current House bill dies.  Which is exactly what the Democrats want.  Thus, it is why the Democrats chose to shut down the government.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2018, 01:35:36 am »
   I respectfully disagree @libertybele on the full national implementation of EVERIFY (with teeth), I believe that along with quit giving illegals benefits of any sort would put a more powerful dent in illegal immigration into this Country than this damn $25B wall.   
   They are not overly stupid people, remove the incentive for them to come and they will stop coming, bigly!
   This is something we should have been doing and could have been doing 40 years ago but both the dems/reps have jammed the gears to prevent it. 
   I'll admit my views are a bit Pollyanna and out of time because things have gotten so out of hand, but 'if not now when' was something we should have been asking ourselves in the 80's, now it just seems so passé cause I believe it's never gonna happen, not even the last ditch effort of this big beautiful Wall.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2018, 01:38:56 am »
libertybele wrote:
"not quite sure how this scenario will play out when the new Congress is sworn in, in a couple of days .... obviously the majority in the Senate will be larger ... or will this issue have to play out under the current Senate??"

Seems to me that as of Jan. 1, we are back to "square one" insofar as the budget or a continuing resolution is concerned.

Only now it won't get out of the House, which will be under the control of the democrat-communists.

So the Pubbie senators will be off the hook, Scott-free.

Online libertybele

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2018, 01:43:21 am »
   I respectfully disagree @libertybele on the full national implementation of EVERIFY (with teeth), I believe that along with quit giving illegals benefits of any sort would put a more powerful dent in illegal immigration into this Country than this damn $25B wall.   
   They are not overly stupid people, remove the incentive for them to come and they will stop coming, bigly!
   This is something we should have been doing and could have been doing 40 years ago but both the dems/reps have jammed the gears to prevent it. 
   I'll admit my views are a bit Pollyanna and out of time because things have gotten so out of hand, but 'if not now when' was something we should have been asking ourselves in the 80's, now it just seems so passé cause I believe it's never gonna happen, not even the last ditch effort of this big beautiful Wall.

I did mention in my post that all the 'perks' need to be cut off.  E-verify will do nothing other than keep the honest employers honest.

I do agree with you that BOTH parties have failed on this issue, though Trump is the only President who has brought this issue into full focus.  Of course, this is what he campaigned on and won him the presidency.  IF he doesn't give the people the wall as he promised, he will be a one term president.  He knows it and so do the DEMS.  Again, IMHO the DEMS are in the driver's seat on this one...especially with Trump losing a much needed majority in the House in a few days.  His wall isn't going to happen and he should have played this hand last year. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2018, 01:45:42 am »
libertybele wrote:
"not quite sure how this scenario will play out when the new Congress is sworn in, in a couple of days .... obviously the majority in the Senate will be larger ... or will this issue have to play out under the current Senate??"

Seems to me that as of Jan. 1, we are back to "square one" insofar as the budget or a continuing resolution is concerned.

Only now it won't get out of the House, which will be under the control of the democrat-communists.

So the Pubbie senators will be off the hook, Scott-free.

Ok, so basically we are witnessing a Trump/GOP horse and pony show with smoke and mirrors in the background. 

Online corbe

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2018, 01:50:39 am »
   All good points, and respected by me @libertybele
   So I pay $5 bucks more to get my grass mowed next summer by lazy, stoner American boys, it's worth it to me but I'll admit my standards are not that high to begin with in lawncare and my yard is small.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2018, 02:00:29 am »

He is never going to get the 25 billion.  He's even talking about negotiating down.  I think it is all a waste of money if its a few miles here and there.  And fence patching.  The real answer is stopping the benefits but I doubt that any politician is going to do it.  Its all about them.

Nancy reveals why things will never change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RUtlcwWBCo

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:06:54 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online libertybele

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2018, 03:12:43 am »
He is never going to get the 25 billion.  He's even talking about negotiating down.  I think it is all a waste of money if its a few miles here and there.  And fence patching.  The real answer is stopping the benefits but I doubt that any politician is going to do it.  Its all about them.

Nancy reveals why things will never change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RUtlcwWBCo

IMHO Pelosi's days are numbered due to obvious health issues. Yes, we need to stop the benefits but we also need a physical barrier.

Agreed, it doesn't look hopeful that we will get either unless the People DEMAND both.  Unfortunately, I think the people aren't going to wake up until this issue knocks on their doors and it becomes close and personal, just like in France or Germany.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 04:06:40 am »
IMHO Pelosi's days are numbered due to obvious health issues. Yes, we need to stop the benefits but we also need a physical barrier.

Agreed, it doesn't look hopeful that we will get either unless the People DEMAND both.  Unfortunately, I think the people aren't going to wake up until this issue knocks on their doors and it becomes close and personal, just like in France or Germany.

The people did demand it but not even the president was intent on doing the will of the people.   Otherwise he would not have waited till days before Democratic Congress to shut down the government.  If he was a great deal maker he would have played his hand at the right time.

And I am not saying that to be negative.  Trump was the one who said he wouldn't sign another but he did.  And now Sarah Sanders is reporting Trump wants to negotiate the price.  Its ridiculous.  Why even shut down?  He should be demanding more.  The whole thing needed to complete the wall.  What's his plan for more funding?  More shut downs to get little?  Just isn't going to work.  He's weak.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:10:11 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2018, 12:29:50 pm »
Ok, so basically we are witnessing a Trump/GOP horse and pony show with smoke and mirrors in the background.

@libertybele

Wouldn't you be happier if you spent all this time whining about Trump at some Bush Worship Service somewhere,instead? You could focus on the important stuff you understand,like recipes,how hot Jorge P looks in his tight Mexican jeans with the pesos sewn up the sides of the legs,the wit and wisdom of Boy Jorge,how Babs is STILL the smartest Bush Crime Family member despite being dead,etc,etc,etc?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:31:18 pm by sneakypete »

Online libertybele

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2018, 05:47:10 pm »
@libertybele

Wouldn't you be happier if you spent all this time whining about Trump at some Bush Worship Service somewhere,instead? You could focus on the important stuff you understand,like recipes,how hot Jorge P looks in his tight Mexican jeans with the pesos sewn up the sides of the legs,the wit and wisdom of Boy Jorge,how Babs is STILL the smartest Bush Crime Family member despite being dead,etc,etc,etc?
Wow.  You don't know me in the least.  Curious as to why you have to point fingers at another President in order to exonerate Trump? Nope, 'W's 2nd term IMHO wasn't what I'd call great or even good.  Worshiping Trump maybe your thing, but it certainly isn't mine.  I have given credit when due though.  I suppose you think he's doing a wonderful job on getting that wall built and gave him a free pass when he was willing to grant asylum as part of the DACA deal with Chuckie or perhaps you gave him a free pass on the recent bump stock ban?  In my books, NONE of his actions on those issues are OK.  Not in the least.

Offline bilo

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »
I did mention in my post that all the 'perks' need to be cut off.  E-verify will do nothing other than keep the honest employers honest.

I do agree with you that BOTH parties have failed on this issue, though Trump is the only President who has brought this issue into full focus.  Of course, this is what he campaigned on and won him the presidency.  IF he doesn't give the people the wall as he promised, he will be a one term president.  He knows it and so do the DEMS.  Again, IMHO the DEMS are in the driver's seat on this one...especially with Trump losing a much needed majority in the House in a few days. His wall isn't going to happen and he should have played this hand last year.

Trump should have gone with a shut down in 2017. Instead, he placed his faith in Ryan & McConnell. They failed him on everything except what their corporate donors wanted (corp. tax reform). Trump can't go back in time so all that's left to him is to force the House and Senate to overide his veto. If the Pubs do this 2018 will look like nothing compared to 2020.

Offline bilo

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2018, 08:26:10 pm »

Agreed, it doesn't look hopeful that we will get either unless the People DEMAND both. Unfortunately, I think the people aren't going to wake up until this issue knocks on their doors and it becomes close and personal, just like in France or Germany.

Then it will be too late.

Whether people recognize it or not we are in a battle for our personal liberty. If the Rats regain complete control of the govt socialism will be the guiding principal and one key component of that is redistribution of wealth and the only way to do that is to eliminate personal liberties such as property rights.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2018, 09:30:40 pm »
Chad Pergram
Verified accountï‚™ @ChadPergram 

Message from incoming House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC). Is telling mbrs they are “expected to be present and voting” on January 3rd on “legislation related to FY19 Appropritions”

12:25 PM - 30 Dec 2018

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1079473500044304384

Online libertybele

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2018, 09:34:17 pm »
Then it will be too late.

Whether people recognize it or not we are in a battle for our personal liberty. If the Rats regain complete control of the govt socialism will be the guiding principal and one key component of that is redistribution of wealth and the only way to do that is to eliminate personal liberties such as property rights.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.  It will be too late, but this issue isn't new.  The GOP has held the majority for the past 4 years and here we sit. It sure seems that even though they held the majority the DEMS remained somewhat in control.

Redistribution of wealth was Bammy's hope clear back when he was a Jr. Senator and proposed his Global Poverty Act; bill S.2433.  Though the bill did not pass, those ideals of his carried into his presidency and Bammycare was the ultimate accomplishment for him to do just that.  He brought in hundreds of teen migrants in by busloads and placed them throughout this country.  They are not considered illegal, but 'displaced'.  I'm not sure how many voted in the midterms but I suspect many will vote in 2020.  Combine that figure with those that continue to be granted asylum and the DEM voting base continues to rise.  Had Clinton won the presidency I am certain she would have continued that push for wealth redistribution, globalization and open borders.

We've been in the battle for our personal liberty and the sovereignty of this country.  If Trump is not successful, we won't have an American left that we recognize.  My frustration with him, is he should have made a huge push for the promised wall, long before now.  The odds of border security and retaining our sovereignty will be diminished BIGLY within the next couple of days.

The issue of property rights and the issue of eminent domain was a huge concern of mine when Trump was campaigning and still is. People didn't stop to think of the implications of his use of eminent domain  before voting, nor did they seem to check on a political candidates past voting records or track records.  They 'wall' is what catapulted Trump to his presidency and he was able to sell the wall and himself to the public; all other issues were overlooked.  Here we sit.