Author Topic: Shutdown to drag on with no House votes expected this week  (Read 15012 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shutdown to drag on with no House votes expected this week
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:22:17 pm »
Shutdown to drag on with no House votes expected this week
By Juliegrace Brufke - 12/27/18 03:09 PM EST

The partial government shutdown is expected to drag on for at least several more days, with House GOP leaders saying Thursday they do not expect a vote this week to reopen the government.

On day six of the shutdown, House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) advised members "that no votes are expected in the House this week."

"As the House awaits Senate action on remaining FY19 appropriations, we will aim to provide 24 hours' notice ahead of any expected votes in the House," Scalise's office added in a notice.

The Senate was scheduled to convene at 4 p.m. on Thursday, but no votes were expected until President Trump and congressional Democrats reach a deal to end a funding lapse that is affecting about 25 percent of the federal government.

Little progress has been made in negotiations as Democratic lawmakers and the White House remain at odds over funding for Trump’s proposed border wall.

“No end in sight to the President’s government shutdown,” Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) tweeted on Thursday. “He’s taken our government hostage over his outrageous demand for a $5 billion border wall that would be both wasteful and ineffective.”

Trump earlier Thursday resumed his feud with congressional Democrats over border wall funding, claiming in a tweet that most of the hundreds of thousands of federal workers furloughed or forced to work without pay due to the shutdown are Democrats.

“Have the Democrats finally realized that we desperately need Border Security and a Wall on the Southern Border. Need to stop Drugs, Human Trafficking, Gang Members & Criminals from coming into our Country," he tweeted. "Do the Dems realize that most of the people not getting paid are Democrats?"

The House passed a bill with $5.7 billion in border funding last week, including money for a wall, but the bill was viewed as dead on arrival in the Senate. Earlier in the week the Senate passed a measure to keep border security funding at current levels and with no money for Trump's border wall.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/423030-shutdown-to-drag-on-with-no-house-votes-expected-this-week
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Shutdown to drag on with no House votes expected this week
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:32:41 pm »
Memo to the Rats and Rino's in congress. You better pay attention to your core voters concerns for the foreseeable future, because if you don’t, you won’t have to worry about "What’s Next", because you’ll be "What’s Gone".
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:53:10 pm »
   I don't see that happening @The Ghost Trump tried in the Midterms and lost the House and gained 2 in the Senate, that is mediocrity in the extremes.  It's gonna take another movement similar to the Tea Party to advance the ball and I have become so disillusioned I don't see that happening.  Trump's populism for all intents and purposes has failed and it's not entirely his fault, he tried, bigly, it's just that the American electorate has failed us all. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:57:14 pm »
The House is not holding up doing up things.  It is the Senate.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 01:23:19 am »
   I don't see that happening @The Ghost Trump tried in the Midterms and lost the House and gained 2 in the Senate, that is mediocrity in the extremes.  It's gonna take another movement similar to the Tea Party to advance the ball and I have become so disillusioned I don't see that happening.  Trump's populism for all intents and purposes has failed and it's not entirely his fault, he tried, bigly, it's just that the American electorate has failed us all.

I don't believe the electorate abandoned Trump. It was the Pub party moderates who lost most of the seats.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 01:42:27 am »
Who was it who proclaimed:
"The government that governs best, governs least" ??

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 03:55:11 am »
   George Wallace?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 04:48:25 am »
Henry David Thoreau.  I thought Jefferson, but 'google' search indicates otherwise.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:25:31 am »

I disagree. The American electorate voted for a swaggering, jaunty, rakish, chesty man who was going to build a big, beautiful concrete wall and make Mexico pay for it, not some dissembling, scratching, hat-in-hand enfeebled man prostrating himself for democrats to give him 25 million, um, 10--er, 5.7--uh 5 mil, well--a number between 1.6 mil and 5 million of OUR own money to build a big, beautiful, concrete wa--um, a slatted fence.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:23:05 am »
The way I see this playing out is that on Jan 3 2019 Pelosi and the Dim's will pass a  3 or 6 month continuing resolution without funding for the wall. The Senate will do the same, with vague promises for funding for the wall next time, and it will go to Trunp. He will sign and claim victory because they promised they would fund the wall next time... :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 02:25:01 pm »
GREAT news! As long as Congress isn't voting,they aren't doing any damage.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 02:27:14 pm »
  I disagree. The American electorate voted for a swaggering, jaunty, rakish, chesty man who was going to build a big, beautiful concrete wall and make Mexico pay for it, not some dissembling, scratching, hat-in-hand enfeebled man prostrating himself for democrats to give him 25 million, um, 10--er, 5.7--uh 5 mil, well--a number between 1.6 mil and 5 million of OUR own money to build a big, beautiful, concrete wa--um, a slatted fence.

@FeelNoPain

Want some cheese to go with that whine?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 02:28:59 pm »
My understanding is that the House passed the budget and it is awaiting Senate approval. Is that right?
The news just blames Trump so I have no idea what is really happening.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 03:26:00 pm »
My understanding is that the House passed the budget and it is awaiting Senate approval. Is that right?
The news just blames Trump so I have no idea what is really happening.
Correct. The only action taken by the Senate is a vote to proceed with discussion of the CR.

See https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes

And a slight correction is noted:  It is NOT a budget(last budget passed was in 2006). It is a Continuing Resolution to spend money.

Sorta like you resolving to pay your credit card bill with another credit card without spending time to figure out how you are spending your money.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 03:28:24 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 06:23:05 pm »
The way I see this playing out is that on Jan 3 2019 Pelosi and the Dim's will pass a  3 or 6 month continuing resolution without funding for the wall. The Senate will do the same, with vague promises for funding for the wall next time, and it will go to Trunp. He will sign and claim victory because they promised they would fund the wall next time... :shrug:

No, that's what backed him into this corner this time. Trump kept agreeing to deal with the wall later and his base finally exploded. We've heard it too many times. I think Trump is aware that if he doesn't get something meaningful done this time he will be a 1 term failure.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »

You do realize that President Trump is what is standing between losing the sovereignty of this country or keeping it. No, I'm not what you would call a huge Trump supporter, only a realist that clearly sees what we lose if the President doesn't get the liberals to budge on this issue.  You can sit and put him down all you want but at the end of the day, what other President has gotten to this point with border security?  Not one. We as a country are down to the wire, either we build a wall and secure our borders or we lose the sovereignty of this country.  Take a look at Europe...if that's what you want ... keep putting our President down instead of supporting his efforts.  Yes, I think he should have made this move long ago, and I have questioned him many times, but he has made his demands and it is up to the Senate now.  It is those in the Senate that ARE now responsible for our sovereignty.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 07:52:00 pm »
No, that's what backed him into this corner this time. Trump kept agreeing to deal with the wall later and his base finally exploded. We've heard it too many times. I think Trump is aware that if he doesn't get something meaningful done this time he will be a 1 term failure.

I think one thing that most of us agree on is that President Trump does NOT like to fail.  He very well may lose on this issue, but it is up to the Senate.  He is going to make them say either yes or no.  Then it will be on each of their shoulders, though if the wall isn't funded eventually the numbers coming across the border will out number the GOP voting base.  So either way ... IMHO the DEMS hold all the cards.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 07:58:57 pm »
You do realize that President Trump is what is standing between losing the sovereignty of this country or keeping it. No, I'm not what you would call a huge Trump supporter, only a realist that clearly sees what we lose if the President doesn't get the liberals to budge on this issue.  You can sit and put him down all you want but at the end of the day, what other President has gotten to this point with border security?  Not one. We as a country are down to the wire, either we build a wall and secure our borders or we lose the sovereignty of this country.  Take a look at Europe...if that's what you want ... keep putting our President down instead of supporting his efforts.  Yes, I think he should have made this move long ago, and I have questioned him many times, but he has made his demands and it is up to the Senate now.  It is those in the Senate that ARE now responsible for our sovereignty.

Sarah Sanders said I believe yesterday that Trump was willing to negotiate on the price.  As it is now he is building small sections and fixing existing fence.  I don't see the point in a monkey rigged fence that illegals can go around.  If you want a wall you need the entire funding.  They were willing to give Obama 26 billion for a wall.  They are playing politics and Trump either holds firm or gives in.  But it is a complete waste of money if it does little to stop the flow.  Yes, they can put sections of wall in the most traveled area's.  Then migration moves accordingly and we have the same problem. 

Less area to monitor?  That is getting little with no way to get the rest of the funding anywhere in the near future.  It is critical.  I read yesterday there is another caravan coming.  Many have already made it through even though the President said they wouldn't.  To his credit many have not gotten through.  But we need complete border funding.  Not patching fence.

Sarah Sanders, Trump willing to negotiate

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/trump-willing-to-negotiate-on-border-wall-sarah-sanders-says/

And the aspect of crime on the border.  Apparently Democrats do not care that Cartels are doing business on open borders and in our own country.  Trump is asking for so little.  Why would we negotiate down?  That is not art of the deal.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:28:31 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 08:06:47 pm »
The partial government shutdown is expected to drag on for at least several more days....

What about these poor pitiful non essential govt' employees? They must be close to destitute now...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 08:44:01 pm »
Sarah Sanders said I believe yesterday that Trump was willing to negotiate on the price.  As it is now he is building small sections and fixing existing fence.  I don't see the point in a monkey rigged fence that illegals can go around.  If you want a wall you need the entire funding.  They were willing to give Obama 26 billion for a wall.  They are playing politics and Trump either holds firm or gives in.  But it is a complete waste of money if it does little to stop the flow.  Yes, they can put sections of wall in the most traveled area's.  Then migration moves accordingly and we have the same problem. 

Less area to monitor?  That is getting little with no way to get the rest of the funding anywhere in the near future.  It is critical.  I read yesterday there is another caravan coming.  Many have already made it through even though the President said they wouldn't.  To his credit many have not gotten through.  But we need complete border funding.  Not patching fence.

Sarah Sanders, Trump willing to negotiate

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/trump-willing-to-negotiate-on-border-wall-sarah-sanders-says/

And the aspect of crime on the border.  Apparently Democrats do not care that Cartels are doing business on open borders and in our own country.  Trump is asking for so little.  Why would we negotiate down?  That is not art of the deal.

From my understanding that funds that he was given was allocated to fix existing fence, though I have been corrected in this forum that new fence has also been erected.  I agree, we need funding for the entire project, but just because he's willing to negotiate on price, but I don't think that at all means he'll negotiate to the point that the project won't be complete. 

Yes, I believe we need a physical barrier, but it will also need to be well manned.  This is just part of the battle.  Of course the DEMS are playing politics; a wall means less votes and the GOP would still have the possibility to be seated.  That's what's at stake here. They want to ensure that they have the majority from this point forward; eliminating a two party system completely and putting an end to the GOP once and for all.

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 10:27:35 pm »
I think one thing that most of us agree on is that President Trump does NOT like to fail.  He very well may lose on this issue, but it is up to the Senate. He is going to make them say either yes or no.  Then it will be on each of their shoulders, though if the wall isn't funded eventually the numbers coming across the border will out number the GOP voting base.  So either way ... IMHO the DEMS hold all the cards.

He can't afford to fail on this issue. He's gone along with the Pubs a couple times with the promise it would get done next time. Now it's finally come to a head. He can't just threaten to do something and not follow through. He has to start doing things such as eliminate funding nations that send caravans, closing the border and continuing the shutdown till the Rats give up.

If the Rats don't budge in a couple weeks he should have the Army Corp of Engineers start building the wall.

If he backs down now he's done and the globalists win.

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 10:33:25 pm »
From my understanding that funds that he was given was allocated to fix existing fence, though I have been corrected in this forum that new fence has also been erected.  I agree, we need funding for the entire project, but just because he's willing to negotiate on price, but I don't think that at all means he'll negotiate to the point that the project won't be complete. 

Yes, I believe we need a physical barrier, but it will also need to be well manned.  This is just part of the battle.  Of course the DEMS are playing politics; a wall means less votes and the GOP would still have the possibility to be seated.  That's what's at stake here. They want to ensure that they have the majority from this point forward; eliminating a two party system completely and putting an end to the GOP once and for all.

You're spot on!

The wall is especially important because with it when the next Rat POTUS cuts back on enforcing the law it will still be hard for illegals to get into the country.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 11:25:51 pm »
He can't afford to fail on this issue. He's gone along with the Pubs a couple times with the promise it would get done next time. Now it's finally come to a head. He can't just threaten to do something and not follow through. He has to start doing things such as eliminate funding nations that send caravans, closing the border and continuing the shutdown till the Rats give up.

If the Rats don't budge in a couple weeks he should have the Army Corp of Engineers start building the wall.

If he backs down now he's done and the globalists win.

There is question as to whether or not Trump has the authority to have the Army Corp of Engineers build the wall and I believe that redirecting funds would still have to be approved.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 02:31:50 am »
libertybele observes:
"You can sit and put him down all you want but at the end of the day, what other President has gotten to this point with border security?"

Indeed.

And once again, I'll remind everyone:
NO other 2016 Republican presidential candidate -- NOT ONE OF THEM -- would have gone "so far to the mat" on the border security issue.

Only the guy that's in there now.

bele also wrote:
"There is question as to whether or not Trump has the authority to have the Army Corp of Engineers build the wall"

Well, time to put that to the test.
Get them started on the construction, and back 'em up!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 02:36:18 am »
Outside the Military, Treasury, and State, this thing can be shutdown permanently as far as I am concerned.

90% of what Fedzilla provides is redundant with State and local services anyway.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.