Author Topic: How partial shutdown of U.S. government could play out  (Read 361 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
How partial shutdown of U.S. government could play out
« on: December 27, 2018, 03:13:51 pm »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A partial U.S. government shutdown was widely expected to continue after Congress reconvenes on Thursday, with lawmakers split over President Donald Trump’s demand for $5 billion in taxpayer funding for a proposed Mexican border wall.

The Senate and the House of Representatives were set to meet at 4 p.m. EST on the sixth day of the shutdown and resume debating ways to end it. That will include Senate consideration of a measure already approved by the Republican-controlled House that meets Trump’s wall-funding demand.

For that bill to move forward in the 100-seat Senate, it would need 60 votes. Republicans have only 51 seats, so they will need to try to persuade some Democrats to back the measure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shutdown-explainer/how-partial-shutdown-of-u-s-government-could-play-out-idUSKCN1OQ0RZ
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bilo

Re: How partial shutdown of U.S. government could play out
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:25:25 pm »
For that bill to move forward in the 100-seat Senate, it would need 60 votes. Republicans have only 51 seats, so they will need to try to persuade some Democrats to back the measure.

The Pubs don't have a great history in seeing these fights through. Trump didn't help when he indicated he would sign the funding extension, without the 5.7 billion for a wall. He only changed his mind when his base went nuts. I think this goes into late Jan and Trump does not get his funding. If this happens he's done after 1 term.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home