Author Topic: Seattle Under Siege  (Read 1818 times)

rangerrebew

Seattle Under Siege
« on: December 26, 2018, 12:18:42 pm »
Seattle Under Siege
Record numbers of homeless people are occupying the city’s public spaces, despite massive government spending to fight the problem.
Christopher F. Rufo
Autumn 2018 The Social Order

Seattle is under siege. Over the past five years, the Emerald City has seen an explosion of homelessness, crime, and addiction. In its 2017 point-in-time count of the homeless, King County social-services agency All Home found 11,643 people sleeping in tents, cars, and emergency shelters. Property crime has risen to a rate two and a half times higher than Los Angeles’s and four times higher than New York City’s. Cleanup crews pick up tens of thousands of dirty needles from city streets and parks every year.

At the same time, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal, the Seattle metro area spends more than $1 billion fighting homelessness every year. That’s nearly $100,000 for every homeless man, woman, and child in King County, yet the crisis seems only to have deepened, with more addiction, more crime, and more tent encampments in residential neighborhoods. By any measure, the city’s efforts are not working.

https://www.city-journal.org/seattle-homelessness

Online mountaineer

Re: Seattle Under Siege
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 03:04:20 pm »
They - the people and elected officials of Seattle - pretty much invited this "siege," inflicting it upon themselves.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 03:17:46 pm »
They - the people and elected officials of Seattle - pretty much invited this "siege," inflicting it upon themselves.

It is like San Francisco with out the poop on the sidewalks.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 03:28:04 pm »
Just another example of how unchecked liberalism eventually ruins everything.

Offline verga

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 03:42:18 pm »
Reaping what they sowed, I have no sympathy for them.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 03:49:23 pm »
Give it time.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 05:21:03 pm »
From the title....
“Record numbers of homeless people are occupying the city’s public spaces, despite massive government spending to fight the problem.”

They have a homeless problem  because of massive government spending to fight the problem not despite government massive spending
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 05:29:23 pm »
From the title....
“Record numbers of homeless people are occupying the city’s public spaces, despite massive government spending to fight the problem.”

They have a homeless problem  because of massive government spending to fight the problem not despite government massive spending

Yeah, that is pretty funny.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 05:47:23 pm »
From the title....

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 11:30:57 pm »
From the article:
"At the same time, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal, the Seattle metro area spends more than $1 billion fighting homelessness every year. That’s nearly $100,000 for every homeless man, woman, and child in King County, yet the crisis seems only to have deepened, with more addiction, more crime, and more tent encampments in residential neighborhoods."

Well, if you spend $1 billion "for the homeless", you can only expect more and more of them to "appear" to take advantage of such largesse.

"By any measure, the city’s efforts are not working."

No.
The initiatives ARE "working".
Subsidize something, and you get MORE of it.

Seattle's "homeless program" seems to be doing very well !!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 11:40:09 pm »
This past summer my sister and my mom took a cruise to Alaska. On the return trip they spent the night in Seattle before they flew home to JFK. They were raving how awesome Seattle is.

Keep in mind my sis lives and works in the big Apple
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 04:57:16 am »
My daughter worked in Seattle CPS as a social worker and could last only a few short months.

She felt unsafe and extremely isolated.  CPS policy was to send in social workers prior to the police in domestic disturbances.

Seattle is broken due to liberal policies.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 06:41:55 am »
At the same time, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal, the Seattle metro area spends more than $1 billion fighting subsidizing homelessness every year.

There, fixed it.  If you subsidize something, you get more of it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »
This past summer my sister and my mom took a cruise to Alaska. On the return trip they spent the night in Seattle before they flew home to JFK. They were raving how awesome Seattle is.

The area is awesomely beautiful. I can imagine any New Yorker would just be blown away by the mountains, immense pine trees, etc. I know we were - but we didn't see the vagrancy, just Pike Street and the Boeing aviation museum. It's just the filthy underbelly described in the article that's so hideous and ugly.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 03:15:01 pm »

Seattle has poop. Local news here in Seattle has done stories on the problem of the homeless taking dumps everywhere, particularly a Stairway near city hall. And the motor homes there are no RV sewage dump locations in the city, so it's cousin Eddy "The shitter is full" scene for real.

I live outside Seattle, have vowed to stay out of the city, the whole family has. It's a horrific scene.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 03:18:12 pm »
Seattle has poop. Local news here in Seattle has done stories on the problem of the homeless taking dumps everywhere, particularly a Stairway near city hall. And the motor homes there are no RV sewage dump locations in the city, so it's cousin Eddy "The shitter is full" scene for real.

I live outside Seattle, have vowed to stay out of the city, the whole family has. It's a horrific scene.

I did not know that.

Looks like they better start a "Poop Patrol" like San Fran.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 03:28:15 pm »

From the Puget Sound sailing in on a cruise ship or ferry, Seattle is still a beautiful jem. But take a stroll though town or a road trip up or down I-5 and you are hit square in the face with the ugliness these vagrants have brought. Thousands of tents and piles of garbage. Truly a sad sight for someone like me who remembers 60 years of Seattle history.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 04:04:00 pm »

Yet
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln