Author Topic: The Mayor of Caracas, in Exile  (Read 480 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Mayor of Caracas, in Exile
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:08:00 pm »
By Jay Nordlinger   
December 19, 2018 6:30 AM

Antonio Ledezma speaks of the brutalization of his country

Editor’s Note: This is an expanded version of a piece that appeared in the December 3, 2018, issue of National Review.

When a dictatorship comes to arrest you, they don’t skimp on the force. More than 100 agents came to arrest Antonio Ledezma. About 25 of them came up to his office, smashing doors and shattering glass as they went. “They arrested him savagely,” as his wife later said. “They hit him.” Ledezma himself said to the agents, “Why so many? I’m only one person. I weigh 75 kilograms [165 pounds]. I’m not going to fight you by myself.” Downstairs, there were about 80 men, wielding machine guns, firing them in the air, putting on a big show.

They carted Ledezma off to prison.

He is, or was, the mayor of Caracas, the capital city of Venezuela. For almost three years, he was a prisoner — and then he escaped the country. He has joined something like 4 million of his countrymen in exile. They have fled persecution and starvation (a kind of persecution, to be sure). Says Ledezma, “I am part of a group of 4 million people, born in Venezuela, who have been forced to abandon the lives we once knew.” He says this with no little emotion.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Mayor of Caracas, in Exile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 03:53:29 am »
By Jay Nordlinger   
December 19, 2018 6:30 AM

Antonio Ledezma speaks of the brutalization of his country

Editor’s Note: This is an expanded version of a piece that appeared in the December 3, 2018, issue of National Review.

When a dictatorship comes to arrest you, they don’t skimp on the force. More than 100 agents came to arrest Antonio Ledezma. About 25 of them came up to his office, smashing doors and shattering glass as they went. “They arrested him savagely,” as his wife later said. “They hit him.” Ledezma himself said to the agents, “Why so many? I’m only one person. I weigh 75 kilograms [165 pounds]. I’m not going to fight you by myself.” Downstairs, there were about 80 men, wielding machine guns, firing them in the air, putting on a big show.

They carted Ledezma off to prison.

He is, or was, the mayor of Caracas, the capital city of Venezuela. For almost three years, he was a prisoner — and then he escaped the country. He has joined something like 4 million of his countrymen in exile. They have fled persecution and starvation (a kind of persecution, to be sure). Says Ledezma, “I am part of a group of 4 million people, born in Venezuela, who have been forced to abandon the lives we once knew.” He says this with no little emotion.

@TomSea

More proof that Communism really,really works if you just apply yourself. Just compare the pre-commie economy of Venezuela to the commie economy of Venezuela,and see for yourself!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!