Author Topic: Did Jesus Christ really exist?  (Read 8478 times)

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
Re: Did Jesus Christ really exist?
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2018, 10:39:41 am »
It would be nice to have references to Jesus outside of the Gospels during the time he was alive and maybe there was but they haven't been discovered yet or what little records there was were possibly destroyed. Without those affirmations it all comes down to personal faith and whether or not you believe in the scriptures themselves. That's all there is to it.
I won't accept.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2018, 01:44:03 pm »
@Victoria33
Sorry dear, but the basis for BC/AD is incorrectly calculated. It does not coincide with the birth of Yeshua, nor his death, and more than that, ignorantly messed up history for quite a time, simply by not asserting a '0' year... Much of it based upon Roman and Greek ignorance of Hebrew culture and means.
@roamer_1

Yes, I know it is incorrectly calculated including the "O" year.  The point is , they used Jesus' life to make the calendar which means they thought/knew He lived, wasn't a fairy tale.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2018, 02:50:35 pm »
It would be nice to have references to Jesus outside of the Gospels during the time he was alive and maybe there was but they haven't been discovered yet or what little records there was were possibly destroyed. Without those affirmations it all comes down to personal faith and whether or not you believe in the scriptures themselves. That's all there is to it.

Well, the Gospels were most likely not written by apostles as many seem to believe (John MAY be an exception but even that authorship is dubious)...all of the Gospels were internally anonymous and several clearly indicate they were not disciples but were collecting stories and words from those who did know Jesus. Luke was almost certainly a companion of Paul (thus expanding the rather oversize impact Paul has had on modern belief) who himself had never met the living Jesus...early church tradition believed Mark was a secretary of Peter...and Mathew and John are even fuzzier as to authorship.

Interestingly, it is only in John that Jesus is running around claiming to be God...and in the earliest copies we have of Mark, even the physical resurrection of Jesus is absent. Point being that the Gospels are very different in their portrayals of Jesus and his life.

Here's an excerpt about/from a well known Ivy league theologian and former Evangelical named Bart Ehrman that goes to the point:

To illustrate the differences between the Gospels, Ehrman offers opposing depictions of Jesus talking about himself. In the book of John, Jesus talks about himself and proclaims who he is, saying "I am the bread of life." Whereas in Mark, Jesus teaches principally about the coming kingdom and hardly ever mentions himself directly.

These differences offer clues into the perspectives of the authors, and the eras in which they wrote their respective Gospels, according to highly respected theologian Bart Ehrman.

"In Mark's Gospel, Jesus is not interested in teaching about himself. But when you read John's Gospel, that's virtually the only thing Jesus talks about is who he is, what his identity is, where he came from," Ehrman says. "This is completely unlike anything that you find in Mark or in Matthew and Luke. And historically it creates all sorts of problems, because if the historical Jesus actually went around saying that he was God, it's very hard to believe that Matthew, Mark and Luke left out that part — you know, as if that part wasn't important to mention. But in fact, they don't mention it. And so this view of the divinity of Jesus on his own lips is found only in our latest Gospel, the Gospel of John."

And in another interesting discussion from Ehrman's book:
But if Matthew and John were both written by earthly disciples of Jesus, why are they so very different, on all sorts of levels? Why do they contain so many contradictions? Why do they have such fundamentally different views of who Jesus was? In Matthew, Jesus comes into being when he is conceived, or born, of a virgin; in John, Jesus is the incarnate Word of God who was with God in the beginning and through whom the universe was made. In Matthew, there is not a word about Jesus being God; in John, that's precisely who he is. In Matthew, Jesus teaches about the coming kingdom of God and almost never about himself (and never that he is divine); in John, Jesus teaches almost exclusively about himself, especially his divinity. In Matthew, Jesus refuses to perform miracles in order to prove his identity; in John, that is practically the only reason he does miracles.

Here's the fascinating point, though. When reading a set of eye witness accounts...one would EXPECT contradictions and widely varied views as to what occurred...especially in a biographical context. So the differences from Gospel to Gospel, contradictory and counterintuitive as they may be, may also be strongly reflective of the actual acts and words of Jesus. Still, those claiming that Jesus sayings are "verbatim" recordings of what Jesus actually spoke...or that each event occurred precisely as laid out in a Gospel...will be deeply disappointed if they delve deeply into Gospel and early biblical analysis. But those who do their research...and then step back to get a view from 30,000 feet...WILL see a far clearer overall picture of the life and thoughts of Jesus.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:53:34 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2018, 03:00:39 pm »
Nonsense. The Gospels are contemporary.
No, at best they were written a generation after Jesus death and likely after the fall of the Temple. Mark MAY have been written before the 70's but, as you likely know, his Gospel is very different and tone and claims of divinity for Jesus...especially when you take out the late addition of Mark 16:9-16:20 which was clearly a later addition to the text...as it is absent in the earliest copies of the Gospel.

LOL! You criticize @Skeptic  and then rely upon (other) gnostics? Your bullshit meter needs adjustment @Mesaclone . I agree with you wrt Acta Pilatus (the 'gospel' of 'nicodemus') but then you lend credence to the 'gospel' of 'phillip' in nearly the same breath? How the hell does that work?

I'm not "relying" on Gnostics, I simply noted the writings thereof. That said, you'd be wrong to pretend that the authorship and origin of works like the Gospel of Thomas are any more dubious than that of the standard Gospels. Gospels like Nicodemus and Mary Magdelene are clearly late additions...but not all Gnostic texts should be lumped in with such works.

Your 'scientific' bias asserts itself.
Honestly, I'd take "scientific bias" as a compliment, as it simply means reason and analysis are being applied WITHOUT setting a predetermined end state solution

Again, false. my faith is in the promise. The evidence stands on its own.
I never have and would not question anyone's faith, or the source thereof. My only arguments are aimed at textual analysis and getting as close to genuine sources as can be achieved through scientific method. Faith is a personal choice and not something I would ever judge in another human being.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:05:50 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2018, 03:08:34 pm »
@roamer_1

Yes, I know it is incorrectly calculated including the "O" year.  The point is , they used Jesus' life to make the calendar which means they thought/knew He lived, wasn't a fairy tale.

If by "they" you mean late Roman religious figures under the direction of an Empire that powerfully espoused its form of Christianity...than yes, they (Dionysius Exeguus to be specific) believed he lived and wasn't a fairy tale. Remember though, Exeguus AD/BC calendar did not come into serious "official" use until the 16th century...putting it at an even greater distance from the reality of Jesus existence.

Of course, that says literally nothing about the veracity of such claims so not sure what your point is here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:11:38 pm by Mesaclone »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2018, 03:22:41 pm »

@Skeptic

There are plenty of them, but the government committee that compiled what we know today as the Bible failed to include those texts in that book.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2018, 04:37:27 pm »
...you'd be wrong to pretend that the authorship and origin of works like the Gospel of Thomas are any more dubious than that of the standard Gospels...

...I never have and would not question anyone's faith, or the source thereof....

Hilarious...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2018, 05:05:29 pm »

Nah... That ain't all there is to it.
You know more about the life of Yeshua than most anyone you can think of from more than 200 years ago, to include most kings and emperors, who had scribes writing down their every word. So very much is lost to the sands of time, a rough thing for someone in the internet age to imagine.

As to the text itself, there is literally no other books more meticulously examined and attested than the New Testament books of the Bible. with some 35000 exemplars with 250,000 variations - the most of which are spelling errors. There is very little to argue about in the text.

And like the old testament, it is protected by powerful encryption - Remarkable in it's own right - which defies human authorship. And between the two (the old and the new), they form a consistent and integrated message written across aeons, which maintains its equilibrium in every part of the whole. There is nothing like it anywhere.

I have not studied it for thirty years without reason... It is a masterpiece.
In that Yeshua is the hinge-pin of the whole thing, either he is a liar and the whole book a lie, which is nigh on impossible, just by the encryption found in Torah alone; Or he is what he says he is.

As always with religious texts, the proof is in the prophecy... Study it if you dare... But be prepared. You will spend a lifetime and barely begin to discover all it holds. It is an humbling thing.

Or not - And continue on your way, thinking yourself the arbiter of good and evil. Because in the end, that's always what this is about.  Ye shall be as gods. :shrug:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2018, 05:48:29 pm »
If by "they" you mean late Roman religious figures under the direction of an Empire that powerfully espoused its form of Christianity...than yes, they (Dionysius Exeguus to be specific) believed he lived and wasn't a fairy tale.
Of course, that says literally nothing about the veracity of such claims so not sure what your point is here.
@Mesaclone
@roamer_1
@mystery-ak

The point is, most countries accepted the calendar based on when Jesus was born (even though the year was wrong).  They believed He lived based on The Bible.  Today, no one is taking on the task of dumping the calendar because Jesus did not live.
It's veracity is seldom seriously doubted. 

"Christian Europe
For the first six centuries since the birth of Jesus Christ, European countries used various local systems to count years, most usually regnal years, modeled on the Old Testament.  In some cases, Creation dating was also used. In the 6th century, the Christian monk Dionysius Exiguus devised the Anno Domini system, dating from the Incarnation of Jesus.  In the 8th century, the Anglo-Saxon historian Bede the Venerable used another Latin term, "ante uero incarnationis dominicae tempus" ("the time before the Lord's true incarnation", equivalent to the English "before Christ"), to identify years before the first year of this era.  According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, even Popes continued to date documents according to regnal years, and usage of AD only gradually became common in Europe from the 11th to the 14th centuries.  In 1422, Portugal became the last Western European country to adopt the Anno Domini system."

I have a great deal of information about the above subject (too much to put here) as I teach a Bible class at my Catholic Church.  When teaching, I present other opinions of the scripture (other Protestant church opinions), to explain the differences.
We are close to finishing our study of "The Revelation to John".  We have already studied the other Bible books John wrote.
All of the group have been given maps as they were in Bible times, so they can know/feel closer to the action that happened.
The people in the group are my close friends - Bible study will do that, bring people together.  We also have a prayer list where we pray for people that are their friends/family that need prayer.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 05:49:31 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
I believe he existed. Too much historical proof that he didn’t.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2018, 06:26:38 pm »
No, at best they were written a generation after Jesus death and likely after the fall of the Temple.

@Mesaclone

You seem to be ignorant of the early fathers. The idea of a post 70AD authorship is absurd, and is primarily tooled by those who need an excuse to explain the prophecy contained therein, predicting the fall of the temple. There is no actual textual argument that will hold your statement.

Mark MAY have been written before the 70's but, as you likely know, his Gospel is very different and tone and claims of divinity for Jesus...

All four of the Gospels are very different by design, each volunteering a different aspect or facet of Messiah - Matthew describes the King; Mark, the servant; Luke, the man; and John, of course, the God. This remarkable design is made even more remarkable in that it is interspersed with the testimony of each witness, differences in observation that witness to a writing in one's own hand - Almost like they were unaware that what they were writing would be viewed differently if taken corporately, which they very likely were. The Gospels stand, much like the prophets do, as an ingenious evidence of the Spirit of YHWH whispering in their ears.

And align the texts and one receives a stunning and incremental timeline of the whole of Yeshua's ministry - Nearly week by week. Often day by day.  It is absolutely extraordinary.

As to authorship - The early fathers attest to their development - That Matthew was written and translated first. The early fathers lend an early attestation as to the authors of all the books, except Hebrews (though it sure sounds like Paul, and was early on among his epistles). There is no real reason to deny their witness, and that with the caveat that I hold little to be of value in Christian tradition. But the history found therein is certainly of value, as is the bare fact of their references to the Book.

especially when you take out the late addition of Mark 16:9-16:20 which was clearly a later addition to the text...as it is absent in the earliest copies of the Gospel.

That assumes the 'earliest manuscripts' are indeed complete, which is not necessarily true. I would suggest you look into the heptatic structures embedded in the text, as found by Ivan Panin... And to expand on his work, if converted to Hebrew, the encryption within the book converts to the OT encryption model... removing Mark 16: 9-20 breaks that encryption. but that is far too complicated a subject to prove in a thread on a forum.

I'm not "relying" on Gnostics, I simply noted the writings thereof.

Yes, while not informing your readers of the questionable nature of your source - Like in kind to @Skeptic 's own.

That said, you'd be wrong to pretend that the authorship and origin of works like the Gospel of Thomas are any more dubious than that of the standard Gospels. Gospels like Nicodemus and Mary Magdelene are clearly late additions...but not all Gnostic texts should be lumped in with such works.

Yes they should, by the very nature of their attribution (without any witness), and their obvious attentiveness to gnostic themes. At best one could look for some sort of origin to qualify (like can be done with Tobit or Maccabees), but that, being so grievously bastardized, would have no value at all. Like in kind to OT psuedepigrapha, though I am less terse toward some of those, as some OT apocryphal books do have attestation, even quotation, and do conform to Biblical context... it is merely their pedigree and chain of custody that are in question.

Honestly, I'd take "scientific bias" as a compliment, as it simply means reason and analysis are being applied WITHOUT setting a predetermined end state solution

Not when it discounts the very evidence of the divine as being impossible - I tire of people who dismiss the supernatural because it empirically can't be so, and then deny God and gods in the next breath because that requires the supernatural... The same sort of circular thinking that gives us evolution by way of a phony geologic column and Egyptian historical dating primacy.

I never have and would not question anyone's faith, or the source thereof. My only arguments are aimed at textual analysis and getting as close to genuine sources as can be achieved through scientific method. Faith is a personal choice and not something I would ever judge in another human being.

You miss the point. My faith has naught to do with it. I will stand upon the evidence. The faith I need is only in the promise - That YHWH will do as he said he would. It is the evidence that leads me to that conclusion.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2018, 08:36:37 pm »
@Mesaclone

You seem to be ignorant of the early fathers. The idea of a post 70AD authorship is absurd, and is primarily tooled by those who need an excuse to explain the prophecy contained therein, predicting the fall of the temple. There is no actual textual argument that will hold your statement.
The vast majority of theologians would concur with the stated view of authorship...outside of Paul and perhaps Mark...as being post 70 AD. Let me add, that this is reinforced by the absence of any physical writings that pre-date the 125 or so timeframe.

All four of the Gospels are very different by design, each volunteering a different aspect or facet of Messiah - Matthew describes the King; Mark, the servant; Luke, the man; and John, of course, the God. This remarkable design is made even more remarkable in that it is interspersed with the testimony of each witness, differences in observation that witness to a writing in one's own hand - Almost like they were unaware that what they were writing would be viewed differently if taken corporately, which they very likely were. The Gospels stand, much like the prophets do, as an ingenious evidence of the Spirit of YHWH whispering in their ears.

Prophecies works as soothsayers and oracles have always worked...keep the prophecy vague, rewrite the prophecy after the fact to fit circumstances, write of the circumstances in a selective way as to make it seem to be a fulfillment. Its an old game, practiced from Delphi...to mud huts in Scotland...to the thatched homes of jungle shamans...to Old Testament writers...and its always done in similarly self realizing fashion.

And align the texts and one receives a stunning and incremental timeline of the whole of Yeshua's ministry - Nearly week by week. Often day by day.  It is absolutely extraordinary.

As to authorship - The early fathers attest to their development - That Matthew was written and translated first. The early fathers lend an early attestation as to the authors of all the books, except Hebrews (though it sure sounds like Paul, and was early on among his epistles). There is no real reason to deny their witness, and that with the caveat that I hold little to be of value in Christian tradition. But the history found therein is certainly of value, as is the bare fact of their references to the Book.
The selection of Gospels that ended up in the bible is but a sampling of the broader Gospel literature that existed in the 2nd and 3rd centuries...those chosen fit the doctrinal desires of men in power within the church...and there was much wrangling and blood shed before a final set of writings was settled upon. This was not a godly or even a rational process, it was a doctrinal and political one.

The early Father's you refer to are likely Irenaeus and men like Eusebius...and a few of their contemporaries...who wrote long after the death of Jesus, and who likely had LESS access to information about scriptural origin than a theologian living today.

That assumes the 'earliest manuscripts' are indeed complete, which is not necessarily true. I would suggest you look into the heptatic structures embedded in the text, as found by Ivan Panin... And to expand on his work, if converted to Hebrew, the encryption within the book converts to the OT encryption model... removing Mark 16: 9-20 breaks that encryption. but that is far too complicated a subject to prove in a thread on a forum.
Spare me the bible code craziness...I will not even engage in that absurdity. Mark 16:9-20 is almost universally considered an add on within the broader theological community...feel free to go to any of the vast majority of university theologians and inquire if you doubt my assertion. It doesn't fit stylistically and multiple early versions of Mark lack it...the odds of that being a coincidence are nil.

Yes, while not informing your readers of the questionable nature of your source - Like in kind to @Skeptic 's own.

Yes they should, by the very nature of their attribution (without any witness), and their obvious attentiveness to gnostic themes. At best one could look for some sort of origin to qualify (like can be done with Tobit or Maccabees), but that, being so grievously bastardized, would have no value at all. Like in kind to OT psuedepigrapha, though I am less terse toward some of those, as some OT apocryphal books do have attestation, even quotation, and do conform to Biblical context... it is merely their pedigree and chain of custody that are in question.

Not when it discounts the very evidence of the divine as being impossible - I tire of people who dismiss the supernatural because it empirically can't be so, and then deny God and gods in the next breath because that requires the supernatural... The same sort of circular thinking that gives us evolution by way of a phony geologic column and Egyptian historical dating primacy.

Empirical scientific study and analysis does not seek to deny god, in fact, it cannot in anyway support or refute claims of a magical or supernatural nature...they being outside the scope of scientific inquiry by their nature.

You miss the point. My faith has naught to do with it. I will stand upon the evidence. The faith I need is only in the promise - That YHWH will do as he said he would. It is the evidence that leads me to that conclusion.

Quite simply put, it is a choice to believe in god based on your personal faith...I know I do. But there is no evidence that can either support or refute such a choice in any significant way. Yes, there is evidence of the existence of actual men like Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed...but neither science nor empirical evidence can say anything as to their claims of divine inspiration and nature.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:41:00 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2018, 08:43:17 pm »

:thumbsup:
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Oceander

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2018, 09:05:37 pm »
@Mesaclone

Then it is your faith that is the sole and essential point, exactly as Mesaclone said. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2018, 10:19:07 pm »
Here's an excerpt about/from a well known Ivy league theologian and former Evangelical named Bart Ehrman that goes to the point:  .  .  .

@Mesaclone

Ehrman fails to mention how the target audience for each book impacted the writings.  Matthew was written for the Jews.  Mark for the Greeks.  Luke for the professionals.  And John wrote the 'love' version.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2018, 11:36:01 pm »
@Mesaclone

Ehrman fails to mention how the target audience for each book impacted the writings.  Matthew was written for the Jews.  Mark for the Greeks.  Luke for the professionals.  And John wrote the 'love' version.

He may have mentioned that at some point, just not in the particular citations I quoted him on. Certainly the Gospels were written for different audiences...Luke in particular writing in highly polished Latin for a more educated reader.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2018, 04:29:47 am »
@Mesaclone
Not too long after Jesus's death......no written stories of all the miracles Jesus performed?..you would think just the opposite.

That struck a cord with me...12 years Catholic schools...I once asked during Religion class in HS if the Bible was just a bunch of made up exaggerated stories...which prompted a visit to the principal where I was told I have to have more faith in the word... and a call to my mother.

I was inquisitive to say the least and once even contemplated becoming a nun....which would have been a terribly wrong decision.

Wow. We have more in common than you thought! I went to Catholic school for 6 years. We had catechism daily, and I was told we could NOT question anything.  I found that odd even as a 2nd grader.  Yes, I was sent to Father Godfreys house, told to get on my knees and apologize.  I was traumatized. I remember a lot about the nuns. I too thought about becoming a NUN. That was, what was pushed.  I can no longer attend a Catholic Mass. I start to cry.  It is too painful for me, and I think reminds me of the abuse I endured at Nuns & priests. I am not saying people should leave that church, just that I can't attend it anymore. Mass every day, sometimes Saturday and for sure SUNDAY.   

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2018, 07:37:09 am »

Wow. We have more in common than you thought! I went to Catholic school for 6 years. We had catechism daily, and I was told we could NOT question anything.  I found that odd even as a 2nd grader.  Yes, I was sent to Father Godfreys house, told to get on my knees and apologize.  I was traumatized. I remember a lot about the nuns. I too thought about becoming a NUN. That was, what was pushed.  I can no longer attend a Catholic Mass. I start to cry.  It is too painful for me, and I think reminds me of the abuse I endured at Nuns & priests. I am not saying people should leave that church, just that I can't attend it anymore. Mass every day, sometimes Saturday and for sure SUNDAY.

It will be over soon enough. The last pope. If...you don't wake every day with The Christ in your heart, maybe you should give it a try.

I'll give you a hint. Go to bed with that in your self.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2018, 01:30:43 am »

That's such a heartbreaking story. A great man lives his life teaching that love is the world's greatest gift...and 2000 years later his "advocates" abuse, shame, and intimidate a small child for inquisitiveness. This is why we must work hard to find the true words of Jesus, and of men like Jesus who lived their lives in the light of god and love. As always, men take the most loving and kind purpose and turn it to something ugly...Jesus warned us that this would happen, that it WAS happening with the Pharissees...and sure enough, we see it in the very church that was founded in his name. Now THAT is a genuine prophecy, because it shows just how well he saw who we are...luckily, he gave us a road to follow that can overcome such harshness.

All we have to do is love god and love our neighbors...and see the beauty in the world. Jesus told us how to find god and his kingdom in the Gospel of Thomas:

The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you
Not in a mansion of wood and stone
Split a piece of wood and I am there
Lift a stone and you will find me.