Author Topic: Trump Delivers a Victory to Iran  (Read 792 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump Delivers a Victory to Iran
« on: December 24, 2018, 12:49:27 pm »
Trump Delivers a Victory to Iran

The president’s decision to withdraw U.S. forces from Syria has ruined the administration’s efforts to contain the Islamic republic.

During the presidential campaign, the outlier in Donald Trump’s foreign-policy orations was his treatment of Iran. On Europe, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Russia (remember President Barack Obama’s “off-mike” tête-à-tête with President Dimitry Medvedev?), and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Trump largely followed his predecessor. Differences existed, certainly in style and manner, but the overlap between the two men on most of the big foreign-policy questions was profound.

When it came to the clerical regime in Iran, however, the two men were polar opposites. Trump thought the nuclear agreement with Iran, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, was “the worst deal ever.” He also let loose against Tehran’s Islamic radicalism, terrorism, quest for regional hegemony, and fondness for sewing mayhem in the Middle East. Trump’s serrated rhetoric stood in contrast to the comments of Obama, his secretary of state, and other senior officials, who had muted their criticisms of Tehran in their pursuit of the atomic accord and, as important, a new strategic realignment, wherein a less interventionist America might, so the theory went, find a modus vivendi with a richer, commercially engaged, and moderating Islamic Republic.

Read more at: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/us-withdrawal-syria-hands-victory-iran/578962/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump Delivers a Victory to Iran
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 01:32:16 pm »
Washington Melts Down Over Trump’s Syria Withdrawal
American Conservative, Dec 21, 2018, Matt Purple

[...]

Yet on and on the elite freak-out goes, deaf to any message that contradicts its line. “Why didn’t Trump listen to the generals?!” they wail. Because we have a civilian executive, for one, not a military junta.

But let’s re-ask that same question, only slightly expanded: “Why doesn’t Trump listen to the military men and women who have fought the wars of the past 17 years?” Were he to, he would find disdain for overseas nation building—55 percent of active duty troops oppose more of it, according to a Military Times poll from 2016. He would hear stories of disillusionment and confusion.

He would read laments like that of Dan Grazier, who served in both Fallujah and Afghanistan: “Looking back after more than a decade, it is hard to convince even myself that my platoon helped achieve any lasting contribution in a strategic sense.”

Shouldn’t our poor track record in Afghanistan and Iraq inform our thinking in Syria and lead us to limit the mission? Absolutely not, according to the war pamphleteers, who insist we must blunt a Russia/Iran/Assad axis, which isn’t much of an axis to begin with and which amounts to taking sides in a Muslim sectarian struggle that isn’t any of our business.

Also we need to maintain that “credibility” with our allies—funny how that was never an issue when Trump was pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal.

And looming above it all, like Andross, is Vladimir Putin. Such a menace is his Italy-sized economy and osteoporotic aircraft carrier that we can’t ever withdraw from Syria, as we did from Vietnam and Iraq the first time around. We must stay put, as Winston Churchill would have intended, forever and ever, amen. I am glad Trump rejected this nonsense and hope he will continue to.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/washington-melts-down-over-trumps-syria-withdrawal/

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 05:40:05 pm »
You can bet your sweet bippie SA isn't rebuilding Syria for Iran. 

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Saudi Arabia has now agreed to spend the necessary money needed to help rebuild Syria, instead of the United States. See? Isn’t it nice when immensely wealthy countries help rebuild their neighbors rather than a Great Country, the U.S., that is 5000 miles away. Thanks to Saudi A!

9:23 AM - 24 Dec 2018

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077253411358326785?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 06:47:03 pm »
You can bet your sweet bippie SA isn't rebuilding Syria for Iran. 

Really?  We have a signed, legally binding agreement, and money in escrow to make sure it happens?

No, I didn’t think so.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 07:16:18 pm »
Today I am going to just think happy thoughts, Christmas, and #nevertrump wunderkind Billy Kristol won't.

It is fascinating to observe sooooo many #nevertrumps, wound up so much in yet another big brew haa,

and so closely in line with big media, big govt, democrats etc.

So repeatable. So predictable.

I await brave words on the subject, from Sen. Cruz, on this subject.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 07:39:58 pm »
Really?  We have a signed, legally binding agreement, and money in escrow to make sure it happens?

No, I didn’t think so.

Google Sunni and Shia and get back to me.   :laugh:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 07:40:43 pm »
Today I am going to just think happy thoughts, Christmas, and #nevertrump wunderkind Billy Kristol won't.

It is fascinating to observe sooooo many #nevertrumps, wound up so much in yet another big brew haa,

and so closely in line with big media, big govt, democrats etc.

So repeatable. So predictable.

I await brave words on the subject, from Sen. Cruz, on this subject.
Interesting Happy Thoughts. Merry Christmas!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 11:39:49 pm »
"The president’s decision to withdraw U.S. forces from Syria has ruined the administration’s efforts to contain the islamic republic."

B.S.

If we want to "contain" the islamic republic of Iran, then we should take "the fight" DIRECTLY TO THEM.

Here's where I'm the warmonger. And I say so proudly.

We should attack Iran, yes, ATTACK them.
Blow their nuclear sites to the devil with whatever means is required, including nuclear if warranted. Sink their navy. Decimate their air power.

If there's a place in the islamic world where we should be fighting, it's there.

Addendum:
Oh, and by the way.... Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:41:10 pm by Fishrrman »