Author Topic: Trump calls for 'nuclear option' to ram border wall funding through the Senate  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Uh oh.  You just blew it with that "whatever".  Hey, I tried to help. 

:rolling:

And, I appreciate it! The whole thing was super silly.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

That’s what cloture is for and it’s a dangerous game to bring it down to simple majority. You might get some things you like, but you’ll eventually get some things you hate.

There is no daylight between you and me on this argument.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

That’s what cloture is for and it’s a dangerous game to bring it down to simple majority. You might get some things you like, but you’ll eventually get some things you hate.

If anything, change it from 60 voter to 3/5, rounded down.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If anything, change it from 60 voter to 3/5, rounded down.

I'm not sure that is not already the rule.  The press always says "60" like it's a magic number because using the real number accounting for attendance involves math, and would go right over the heads of their low-information audience anyway.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Remember when "Military" was over half the pie?  Pepperidge Farms remembers.
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

The "Not Funded" could stay not funded, like... forever. 

Shut It Down.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online kevindavis007

Question: Could have the BS Shutdown been avoided if Trump spent less time tweeting??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Axeslinger

Question: Could have the BS Shutdown been avoided if Trump spent less time tweeting??
@kevindavis

I think that’s a skosh disingenuous.   First, the shutdown hasn’t happened yet (and who gives a rip if it does).   But more importantly, as much as I cringe whenever he tweets because he frequently shots himself in the foot, his tweeting IS his bully pulpit.   It is his vehicle around the media’s BS.

Can’t hardly fault him for it.   We can fault him for when he comes across as a dumbass, but not for the mere act of trying to take his case to the people.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:49:24 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun wrote:
"IMHO the Senate filibuster rule is not Constitutional and I doubt the founders ever contemplated such a thing."

Yes, you are 100% correct.

The Constitution specifies in plain language the only instances in Congressional governance in which supermajorities will be required.

Nowhere in that document can be found reference to the concept of "filibuster".

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Bigun wrote:
"IMHO the Senate filibuster rule is not Constitutional and I doubt the founders ever contemplated such a thing."

Yes, you are 100% correct.

The Constitution specifies in plain language the only instances in Congressional governance in which supermajorities will be required.

Nowhere in that document can be found reference to the concept of "filibuster".

The Constitution says the Senate will choose its own rules.
I will NOT comply.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Cyber wrote:
"The Constitution says the Senate will choose its own rules"

So long as those rules are congruent to Constitutional principles and mandates.

The filibuster rule.... is not.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Cyber wrote:
"The Constitution says the Senate will choose its own rules"

So long as those rules are congruent to Constitutional principles and mandates.

The filibuster rule.... is not.

Why not?  Humor me.
I will NOT comply.