Author Topic: Turkey detains US army sergeant at Istanbul airport: pro-gov media  (Read 355 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Turkey detains US army sergeant at Istanbul airport: pro-gov media
Kurdistan24

Turkey detains US army sergeant at Istanbul airport: pro-gov media

US Army soldiers attend an official welcoming ceremony for US troops deployed to Poland as part of NATO build-up in Eastern Europe in Zagan, Poland, January 14, 2017. (Photo: Reuters)

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) - Turkish authorities detained a sergeant with the US army earlier this week at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport on the grounds he had ties with a "terrorist organization," pro-government media reported on Thursday.

The man identified Yahya Ozer (22) was an American with Turkish roots and was serving as a sergeant and translator at NATO's Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey, claimed Aksam newspaper, which has close links to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's administration.

Ozer had an arrest warrant by a prosecutor in the Manisa province for alleged membership to the Gulenist movement, a Muslim Turkish group whose leader, Fethullah Gulen, resides in Pennsylvania. Erdogan's government labels the group, once powerful in the country's bureaucracy, a "terror" organization and claims it was responsible for mounting the botched military coup against the President's rule.

Read more at: http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/db99b81d-5f3d-4899-9674-a06b4c49edd1

I think Turkey is the trouble with our presence there, I will say again.  I mean, otherwise, we'd just be going after the bad guys, mainly ISIS, al Qaeda and like groups.