Author Topic: Trump tells GOP he won't sign stopgap, threatening shutdown  (Read 4687 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump tells GOP he won't sign stopgap, threatening shutdown
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:28:28 pm »
Trump tells GOP he won't sign stopgap, threatening shutdown
By Jordan Fabian - 12/20/18 01:25 PM EST

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Thursday President Trump will not sign a stopgap spending bill over concerns about border security
“The president informed us he will not sign the bill,” he told reporters at the White House after meeting with Trump.

He said lawmakers would work on adding border security measures to the funding bill.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/422311-trump-tells-gop-he-wont-sign-stopgap-threatening-shutdown
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

Re: Trump tells GOP he won't sign stopgap, threatening shutdown
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:31:54 pm »
Thank God for the Freedom Caucus, Mark Meadows and Jim Jordan. I wish I could say way to go Trump, but I'm not as confident in him.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:34:19 pm »
What's it gonna be boy?
Come on, I can wait all night
What's it gonna be, boy?
Yes or no?
What's it gonna be, boy?
Yes...... or...... no?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:36:46 pm »
Let me sleep on it, baby baby, let me sleep on it.
Oh let me sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 06:37:14 pm »
What's it gonna be boy?
Come on, I can wait all night
What's it gonna be, boy?
Yes or no?
What's it gonna be, boy?
Yes...... or...... no?

Here's hoping the feeling comes upon him like a tidal wave. His political future depends upon it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 06:41:38 pm »
Rush just said he got an instant message from the big guy saying if there’s no money for border security in the bill, he’s not signing a stinkin’ thing.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 06:42:05 pm »
Here's hoping the feeling comes upon him like a tidal wave. His political future depends upon it.

Yep otherwise I'll be praying for the end of time
It's all that I can do.
Just praying for the end of his term, so I can end my time with him.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 06:44:57 pm »
Rush just said he got an instant message from the big guy saying if there’s no money for border security in the bill, he’s not signing a stinkin’ thing.

Yep..Rush is in touch with someone in the WH...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Hoodat

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:48:31 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 06:48:08 pm »
Another reality show stunt.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 06:50:29 pm »
   The blowback of the last 24 hours affected him, time to turn it around, gotta love these steadfast principles on display.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 06:55:07 pm »
Steadfast principles would demand a veto and a continued veto no matter what.  The spending in question here has already been deemed "non-essential".  Point to the $1 trillion deficit, and declare that we simply can't afford non-essential spending at this time.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 06:55:54 pm »
   The blowback of the last 24 hours affected him, time to turn it around, gotta love these steadfast principles on display.

Principles?  Like he ever had any.  This, "I was for it before I was against it" John Kerry flip-flop bullshit is wearing me out. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 06:57:07 pm »
A lot of Repubs in the House have left DC so there may not be enough to pass whatever is in this CR
Support the USO

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 07:04:10 pm »
He won’t sign it or will he veto it? There’s a difference.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 07:09:05 pm »
Another reality show stunt.

That's what I was thinking.  Keeps his fans entertained. 

In the end he will cave as he did before, followed by the inevitable excuse and blame game.

Online corbe

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 09:19:58 pm »
   Didn't His press spokeswoman Sarah just tell us yesterday that there would be no shutdown because there are alternative measures for funding the wall or was that Kellyanne?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 09:38:24 pm »
Didn't His press spokeswoman Sarah just tell us yesterday that there would be no shutdown because there are alternative measures for funding the wall or was that Kellyanne?

Both had variations of that message. Fox & Friends shamed him into it this morning, however.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 09:42:05 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  Keeps his fans entertained. 

In the end he will cave as he did before, followed by the inevitable excuse and blame game.

It looks like he finally got his mind right on this thing!.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 09:55:49 pm »
With all this kabuki theatre, the Army Corps of Engineers or DHS or whoever is funded to build the stickin Wall, better be ready to execute the next day after receipt of funding or they will have lots of egg all over their faces.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online corbe

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 10:15:30 pm »
   Even if Ryan can get the votes to pass this, it begs the question can McConnell come up with the 60 ayes in the Senate?

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:12 pm »
Even if Ryan can get the votes to pass this, it begs the question can McConnell come up with the 60 ayes in the Senate?

Highly unlikely. Collins and Corker are already leaving town. Nobody is going to come back to DC, without assurances the count is confirmed.

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 11:02:22 pm »

Highly unlikely. Collins and Corker are already leaving town. Nobody is going to come back to DC, without assurances the count is confirmed.

Let the govt shut down, no one is really going to care about the non-essential services except the govt employees.

Hey, why not have the Army Corp of Engineers get started with building the wall while the govt is shut down.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 11:13:54 pm »

Is a CR subject to the Filibuster?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 11:16:00 pm »
Steadfast principles would demand a veto and a continued veto no matter what.  The spending in question here has already been deemed "non-essential".  Point to the $1 trillion deficit, and declare that we simply can't afford non-essential spending at this time.
And whatever they do—no money paid for work not done. This is a shutdown, not a paid vacation!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024