Author Topic: Derailed By Fire And Disarray, Congo Delays Presidential Election — Again  (Read 333 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Derailed By Fire And Disarray, Congo Delays Presidential Election — Again
Colin Dwyer Twitter

Three days before voters were finally to cast their ballots for president, authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo declared something that's become familiar: another delay. The electoral commission announced Thursday that elections to replace President Joseph Kabila already two years behind schedule, have been postponed to Dec. 30.

The commission, known as CENI, revealed the delay during a private meeting with the presidential candidates — including opposition candidate Seth Kikuni, who tweeted afterward that CENI is "technically unable to organize the elections this Sunday."

Commission officials formally announced the move later Thursday at a news conference in the capital, Kinshasa. The decision comes just one week after suspected arson destroyed nearly 80 percent of the city's voting machines in a massive blaze.

Supporters of opposition leader Martin Fayulu flee a plume of teargas fired by police Wednesday in the capital, Kinshasa

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/678598019/derailed-by-fire-and-disarray-congo-delays-presidential-election-again?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2050

I'm no fan of Obama but that doesn't mean everything he said or did is wrong. I remember once, when he was questioned about Syria and the tens of thousands who have died there, he made reference to DR Congo where millions have died.

This space is too short to talk of Obama and Congo, one can research it for themselves but that did make sense.

Perhaps, it would be a valid thing to research.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sumthin' tells me that "elections" in the Congo don't count for very much...