Author Topic: Conservatives voice frustration after Trump signals 'gutless' retreat on border wall  (Read 4600 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Given that no one in DC, republican or democrat, wants the wall, we’re gonna have to accept that Trump’s prospects of getting a wall done is not a sprint, it’s a marathon. We need to wait and see what Trump does next about achieving his signature issue, before people get all worked up.

@aligncare

You know,since I woke up this morning and started responding to all the "Trump has quit on the wall!" posts I have done some web surfing,and can't find one single story that says he has decided to not build a wall. All I can find are stories about how he has found alternate sources for the funding so there will be no need to shut down the government.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Notice again, that these so called conservatives aren't the least bit tizzied at the failure of Republicans in Congress to pass any meaningful immigration legislation the last two years, in a body that they themselves are a part of.

I'm not sure it was the best tactical move to make the big play for the border wall, but even if he didn't 'cave' the result would be the same.

@Free Vulcan

False Flag story promoted by the Dims,the RINO's,and their fans here on the board. Trump has NOT backed off on building the wall. He has just said he has found alternate funding.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bilo

Hey, how's the 401k doing?  Ready to buy that first yacht yet?  I think someone asked that here a couple weeks ago.

The market was bound to drop once the fed started raising rates and the Rats won the House. The good news is instead of having to speculate to get a return on your money you can now put it into C/D's or bonds and get a secured return. The market really does not reflect main street anymore.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline RoosGirl

The market was bound to drop once the fed started raising rates and the Rats won the House. The good news is instead of having to speculate to get a return on your money you can now put it into C/D's or bonds and get a secured return. The market really does not reflect main street anymore.

Yeah, it's great I have the option to tie up thousands of dollars for 5 years to make 3.1% interest on it with a high yield CD at Goldman Sachs.

Offline bilo

Yeah, it's great I have the option to tie up thousands of dollars for 5 years to make 3.1% interest on it with a high yield CD at Goldman Sachs.

Boy that's dumb investing. You could get 2.5% for 6 months and then roll the C/D over after the next 2 rate increases. If you're looking at a 5 yr bond you should factor in your tax savings with your return.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
@Free Vulcan

False Flag story promoted by the Dims,the RINO's,and their fans here on the board. Trump has NOT backed off on building the wall. He has just said he has found alternate funding.

That was kinda my impression. I'm not going to spin out of control over this till I see an actual retreat.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

Boy that's dumb investing. You could get 2.5% for 6 months and then roll the C/D over after the next 2 rate increases. If you're looking at a 5 yr bond you should factor in your tax savings with your return.

And it's all dumb compared to the awesome stock market returns that have been used here over and over again to prove how much awesome Trump is.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

You guys are still talking about this?  Trump has moved on.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075846949427908608

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Farm Bill signing in 15 minutes! #Emmys #TBT

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCkmOCsI-hc

12:14 PM - 20 Dec 2018

I don't know how to attach the exact video Trump tweeted, but this youtube is pretty close.

So entertaining.   :pop41:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:09:55 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Frank Cannon

And it's all dumb compared to the awesome stock market returns that have been used here over and over again to prove how much awesome Trump is.

I recall you bitching you weren't getting good returns when the market was up. Something tells me your investments are the problem, not the economy.

Offline the_doc

@Sanguine
@sneakypete
@Axeslinger

I have already written that if he truly gives up on the wall that it is over for him. What more do you want?

Besides,Trump is tricky,and might have something up his sleeve.

Right.  The wall has always been a super-high priority for Trump.  The folks who say he was not sincere about that during the campaign are letting their dislike of Trump paint him as even worse than he really is. (LOL)

I think all this stuff about forcing a shutdown, then about avoiding a shutdown, then again about forcing a shutdown, is almost irrelevant to what he is going to do.  He tells the Dems that he is inflexible, then tells the GOP that he is flexible, then tells the nation as a whole that he's inflexible--but I bet that in the end, he's simply going to defy Congress and use the military to build the wall with funds he already has.

All the bickering and dickering that he has encountered in the past two years has made this Constitutionally feasible, it seems to me.  It's almost funny.

(By the way, I think Trump realizes that playing chicken with the Dems on the shutdown is a potentially awful idea.  It's like playing chicken with a suicide bomber.  It's a lose/lose proposition.  We have NO leverage over the Dems.  They will NEVER buckle in this matter.  [They're not macho:  they're crazy.])

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
I recall you bitching you weren't getting good returns when the market was up. Something tells me your investments are the problem, not the economy.

WOW! @Amb. Frank Cannon, Ambassador! Nice.  A wonderful and well deserved promotion, Sir!

CONGRATS!

:laughingdog:

Offline RoosGirl

@Amb. Frank Cannon
You mean when the market was up about 3% and I was pulling 3% and was supposed to think that was because of Trump awesomeness?  You may also recall that I gave the actual returns over past 10 years or so and come to find out the Trump level of awesome is less than the Obama level of awesome when it comes to yearly returns of the market.

But, come to find out it all has more to do with the Fed Chairman and computer programs trying to eek out 1 billionth of a penny more.

Offline corbe

Back in March Trump was taking all the credit for the upswing in the Market, now it's the Fed's fault when it craters wiping all gains for the year.  So typical Trumpian.
   Just read somewhere that not since the Great Depression has the market ended lower at years end than from whence it started at the beginning of the year, hard to believe. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

Back in March Trump was taking all the credit for the upswing in the Market, now it's the Fed's fault when it craters wiping all gains for the year.  So typical Trumpian.
   Just read somewhere that not since the Great Depression has the market ended lower at years end than from whence it started at the beginning of the year, hard to believe.

That can't be right. 2008 stands as the first easy example of that being incorrect.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The Dow has had 21 losing calendar years since the end of WWII assuming this one holds.  Six just this millennium. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline corbe

I didn't believe it either, just to damn lazy to look it up.  I apologize to all my Briefer Friends for stating that incorrect fact.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

@Amb. Frank Cannon
You mean when the market was up about 3% and I was pulling 3% and was supposed to think that was because of Trump awesomeness?  You may also recall that I gave the actual returns over past 10 years or so and come to find out the Trump level of awesome is less than the Obama level of awesome when it comes to yearly returns of the market.

But, come to find out it all has more to do with the Fed Chairman and computer programs trying to eek out 1 billionth of a penny more.

Well you will have around 45 choices for a proper President in 2020 at last count since those Obama years made you rich.

Offline RoosGirl

Well you will have around 45 choices for a proper President in 2020 at last count since those Obama years made you rich.

What good is that going to do me?  You said on another thread that it was the Fed Chair and computer programs that determined what the stock market does.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

@Amb. Frank Cannon

@RoosGirl
When I was a Republican, Rush Limbaugh ( this was before the GOP ran the government ) used to warn me about liberals who would create a problem, demand a solution, and then pass laws that actually made the problem worse. 

I watch Trump push a trade war, I see American farmers who can't sell goods overseas because of retaliatory tariffs demand a solution, and I see the government subsidize them.  I think Rush was right back then.

Offline DB

@RoosGirl
When I was a Republican, Rush Limbaugh ( this was before the GOP ran the government ) used to warn me about liberals who would create a problem, demand a solution, and then pass laws that actually made the problem worse. 

I watch Trump push a trade war, I see American farmers who can't sell goods overseas because of retaliatory tariffs demand a solution, and I see the government subsidize them.  I think Rush was right back then.

It is a whole lot more than farmers who have taken a hit from these tariffs.