Author Topic: Littoral Combat Vessel: The Worst U.S. Navy Warship Ever?  (Read 2128 times)

rangerrebew

Littoral Combat Vessel: The Worst U.S. Navy Warship Ever?
« on: December 20, 2018, 01:33:40 pm »

December 19, 2018
Littoral Combat Vessel: The Worst U.S. Navy Warship Ever?

You make the call.
by Task and Purpose Jared Keller

Nobody wants the Littoral Combat Ship, and yet here it is.

The USS St. Louis was  launched and christened on Saturday as the latest Freedom-class installment of its Littoral Combat Ship family, the  much-derided “Little Crappy Ship” that’s been plagued with so many problems that  not a single one  is in operational use by the U.S. Navy after 16 years in development.

Envisioned as a “relatively inexpensive surface combatant” with an advanced modular design, the Navy technically had 11 operational LCS hulls at the end of fiscal year 2017,  according to the latest Congressional Research Service analysis of the line, with plans to expand the fleet to 32 vessels. But in April, the service  announced that it wouldn’t deploy any of them this year despite  previous plans  to deploy several to join the 7th and 5th Fleets in Singapore and Bahrain, respectively.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/littoral-combat-vessel-worst-us-navy-warship-ever-39232

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Littoral Combat Vessel: The Worst U.S. Navy Warship Ever?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:24:55 am »
Go back to real cruisers and destroyers...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:47:49 am »
Why do I always read "Clitoral" instead of "Littoral" whenever I read these stories?   :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 04:42:51 am »
Why do I always read "Clitoral" instead of "Littoral" whenever I read these stories?   :whistle:
Ugh, wet ponds that we design have "littoral zones".  Come on!!  Engineers should not be required to utter such words in front of each other.  We can barely look at each other when we talk as it is.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 04:50:06 am »
Ugh, wet ponds that we design have "littoral zones".  Come on!!  Engineers should not be required to utter such words in front of each other.  We can barely look at each other when we talk as it is.

If engineers were all men like it was meant to be, there would not be this problem.  It would give the gals more time to perfect their sandwich making skills.  Win-win!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 04:52:13 am »
If engineers were all men like it was meant to be, there would not be this problem.  It would give the gals more time to perfect their sandwich making skills.  Win-win!

You're right, but you failed to mention that it's because male engineers have no idea why "Littoral" would remind anyone of anything else.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 05:00:07 am »
You're right, but you failed to mention that it's because male engineers have no idea why "Littoral" would remind anyone of anything else.

What can I say?  We're creatures incapable of thinking on more than one track at a time.  Baby. :whistle:
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 05:02:01 am »
What can I say?  We're creatures incapable of thinking on more than one track at a time.  Baby. :whistle:

Tell your wife I know her pain.  I'm also married to an engineer.   :tongue2:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 05:03:54 am »

Well then you won't be happy when you see the new Mabia Class ships coming out next year.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 05:05:34 am »
Tell your wife I know her pain.  I'm also married to an engineer.   :tongue2:

I am also married to an engineer. Wife just got back from her run on the Acela a couple hours ago.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 05:06:53 am »
Well then you won't be happy when you see the new Mabia Class ships coming out next year.

Top Notch!
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 05:08:10 am »
I am also married to an engineer. Wife just got back from her run on the Acela a couple hours ago.

Is she a Casey Jones babe?
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 05:11:13 am »

Little Man in the boat referneces in 3...2.....1
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 05:17:58 am »
Is she a Casey Jones babe?

If she is I'm going to shoot that son of a bitch! No one two times me!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 05:24:39 am »
If she is I'm going to shoot that son of a bitch! No one two times me!

You know how the rail jockeys are.  They be working on the Rail Road all the live long day.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 05:25:46 am »
We have vessels which can transport landing craft and the like (LHA-8 and beyond have well decks restored to the design). How about such vessels equipped with squadrons of modern day PT boats or even drone attack vessels? While the LCS concept seemed good, in execution, it's like the railgun --looks good but too expensive and unreliable, and stripped of capability by the expense.

In the future, such designs could be the 'mothership' for both airborne and surface (and even subsurface) drones.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 05:37:40 am »
You know how the rail jockeys are. 

Not really. I don't follow horse racing.

rangerrebew

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 12:36:32 pm »
We have vessels which can transport landing craft and the like (LHA-8 and beyond have well decks restored to the design). How about such vessels equipped with squadrons of modern day PT boats or even drone attack vessels? While the LCS concept seemed good, in execution, it's like the railgun --looks good but too expensive and unreliable, and stripped of capability by the expense.

In the future, such designs could be the 'mothership' for both airborne and surface (and even subsurface) drones.

It's nice to see someone actually comment on the article.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 02:34:09 pm »

Sorry, @rangerrebew my fault.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 07:52:17 pm »
You're welcome. It is important how those defense dollars are spent. Pet projects aside, the defense of the nation is paramount. Jefferson did it (within budget) with coastal gunboats, and smaller, agile and fast vessels which pack a lot of firepower may well be the future. Important, too, is the development of platforms which can be upgraded to handle the navy of the future, and I think that will include unmanned vehicles for offense and defense, aerial and surface (and subsurface) weapons either remotely controlled or autonomous.

Pissing away time and budget on deeply flawed designs isn't something any nation can afford. Taking those designs ot production before proof of concept is an even more dangerous waste in the long run.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 08:28:09 pm »
You're welcome. It is important how those defense dollars are spent. Pet projects aside, the defense of the nation is paramount. Jefferson did it (within budget) with coastal gunboats, and smaller, agile and fast vessels which pack a lot of firepower may well be the future. Important, too, is the development of platforms which can be upgraded to handle the navy of the future, and I think that will include unmanned vehicles for offense and defense, aerial and surface (and subsurface) weapons either remotely controlled or autonomous.

Pissing away time and budget on deeply flawed designs isn't something any nation can afford. Taking those designs ot production before proof of concept is an even more dangerous waste in the long run.

Have you ever seen government "planners" not botch the job?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 07:28:02 am »
Have you ever seen government "planners" not botch the job?
They start off with a good idea, then everyone jumps on with their pet 'thing'...by the end, an elephant is a mouse designed by a government committee.

C S Lewis