Author Topic: Family of Otto Warmbier seeks $1 billion from North Korea in wrongful death suit  (Read 857 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Family of Otto Warmbier seeks $1 billion from North Korea in wrongful death suit
By Owen Daughtery - 12/20/18 12:32 PM EST

The family of Otto Warmbier on Wednesday said they are suing North Korea to “stand up to evil” in the wrongful death of their son.

Warmbier was held in detention in North Korea for more than a year and died days after returning to the states in June 2017.

The family filed a wrongful death suit against the rogue nation and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s regime in April and appeared in court Wednesday for the first hearing.

"I'm going to stand up to evil when I see it. There's nothing more evil than North Korea," Cindy Warmbier, Otto's mother, told the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, according to CNN.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/422292-family-of-otto-warmbier-seeks-1-billion-from-north-korea-in-wrongful-death-suit
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

Maybe they should have taught their son not to steal.

Offline Applewood

Maybe they should have taught him to stay out of  dangerous countries like North Korea. 

I wish the parents luck getting any compensation from NK.  The leaders will be laughing their pants off when they see the suit papers.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Of all of the issues tied up in the Warmbier thing, that one has to be way down on the list of relevancy.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I wonder if the law firm that's representing them has taken the case without payment, expecting a share of "the settlement" in return...

Offline Applewood

I wonder if the law firm that's representing them has taken the case without payment, expecting a share of "the settlement" in return...

It is customary for a plaintiff's attorney to take a case  on a "contingent fee" basis.  That is, if there is a settlement, verdict, judgment or award, the attorney would take a percentage of that amount as the fee.  If the suit is unsuccessful, the attorney gets no fee.  The maximum percentage is set by law -- in Pennsylvania, for example, the maximum is 40%.  But most often, the amount is 33-1/3% or less.  Sometimes there might be an arrangement where the attorney takes 25% if the case settles before trial, 33-1/3% through trial and 40% for an appeal. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They would just pay with counterfeit super notes.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. That broke ass country is what they call in the business "Judgement Proof". They could be suing for $100K, win and still not see a dime because they ain't got the cash.

Offline Applewood

LOL. That broke ass country is what they call in the business "Judgement Proof". They could be suing for $100K, win and still not see a dime because they ain't got the cash.

Oh I think NK has the money.  I doubt their nuclear program is run for free.  It's just that the Wambiers won't be able to touch any of it.