Author Topic: Homelessness rates increase in US for second straight year  (Read 2403 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Homelessness rates increase in US for second straight year
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:52:42 pm »
Homelessness rates increase in US for second straight year
By Owen Daugherty - 12/17/18 11:38 AM EST

Homelessness in the U.S. increased in 2018 for the second straight year after being in decline for 7 years previously, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The small 0.3 percent increase from last year comes as the economy is booming and unemployment is at its lowest point in decades.

The homelessness rate is included in an annual report given to Congress Monday conducted by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

HUD secretary Ben Carson called the rise in homelessness last year relatively muted, saying that for it “to be relatively flat is actually pretty good” given the rise in real estate prices.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/421684-homelessness-rates-increase-in-us-for-second-straight-year
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Homelessness rates increase in US for second straight year
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:27:59 pm »
It's difficult to confirm those numbers.  The relevant data would show rate of homelessness, with a constant definition, over time and per capita. 

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 05:43:41 pm »
Nearly one quarter of the country’s entire homeless population lives in New York City or Los Angeles as both cities grapple with increasing rents prices.

I wonder what party controls the running of those two cities?   Hmmmm
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:53:12 pm »
Homelessness in the U.S. increased in 2018 for the second straight year after being in decline for 7 years previously, according to the Wall Street Journal.

I call BS.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:01:59 pm »
I call BS.

Housing prices shot up so did renting..  A small albeit certain percentage of Americans are always $10 away from being homeless even in a good economy.

@Hoodat

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:06:08 pm »
Housing prices shot up so did renting.

And so did free stuff given out to homeless people on the left coast and New York.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 06:10:56 pm »
Yeah but what they don't tell you is that it is increasing in Lib utopias like Seattle, San Fran and Portland where housing prices has middle class wage earners living in their cars.....

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/rise-californias-tent-cities

San Fransisco

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 06:51:51 pm »
It's difficult to confirm those numbers.  The relevant data would show rate of homelessness, with a constant definition, over time and per capita.

National Estimates
Homelessness in the United States
https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/2017-AHAR-Part-1.pdf

EXHIBIT 1.1: PIT Estimates of People
Experiencing Homelessness
By Sheltered Status, 2007–2017
Page 8
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 07:00:12 pm »
National Estimates
Homelessness in the United States
https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/2017-AHAR-Part-1.pdf

EXHIBIT 1.1: PIT Estimates of People
Experiencing Homelessness
By Sheltered Status, 2007–2017
Page 8

I saw that one and it's difficult to tell if the chart reflects per capita or estimated number, and I'm not interested enough to go and dig into the data.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:33 pm »
I saw that one and it's difficult to tell if the chart reflects per capita or estimated number, and I'm not interested enough to go and dig into the data.

It has values on the chart in the hundreds of thousands.  How could that be per capita?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 07:07:02 pm »
It has values on the chart in the hundreds of thousands.  How could that be per capita?

Well....it couldn't.  But, if you look further down, it references "per 10,000". 

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 07:15:17 pm »
Well....it couldn't.  But, if you look further down, it references "per 10,000".

The chart ends in 553,742.

The notes below say "For every 10,000 people in the United States, 17 were experiencing homelessness"

The chart is absolute numbers, trending down.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 07:19:34 pm »
The chart ends in 553,742.

The notes below say "For every 10,000 people in the United States, 17 were experiencing homelessness"

The chart is absolute numbers, trending down.

OK, and?  I said a) I wasn't that interested, and b) that the number would need to be per capita to be relevant.  You gave a reference to data that is absolute numbers and not per capita.   

:shrug:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 08:49:51 pm »
OK, and?  I said a) I wasn't that interested, and b) that the number would need to be per capita to be relevant.  You gave a reference to data that is absolute numbers and not per capita.   

:shrug:

The population did not decline during this period, it increased.  So on a per capita basis, the decline is even greater.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 08:54:14 pm »
Where are the charts and news stories about the increase in homelessness from 2009 thru 2016? 

Hell, I'd include 2017 too...since Pres. Trump's influence surely didn't have an effect on them for at least 3/4 of that year.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 09:28:31 pm »
The population did not decline during this period, it increased.  So on a per capita basis, the decline is even greater.

Exactly!  Now you're tracking.

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 12:47:46 pm »
Where are the charts and news stories about the increase in homelessness from 2009 thru 2016? 

Hell, I'd include 2017 too...since Pres. Trump's influence surely didn't have an effect on them for at least 3/4 of that year.

See the link in post #7.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 09:19:33 pm »
Anybody else than me believe the more illegals (by definition homeless) allowed into this country, the more homeless we will have?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington