Author Topic: Was Turkey's Coup For Real?  (Read 2779 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Was Turkey's Coup For Real?
« on: December 17, 2018, 07:16:40 pm »
Turkish film footage which I don't necessarily buy just like anything I will post on this. It's all research but some of the filming is pretty astonishing.  I had not seen most of this prior.

TRT, this is Turkish broadcasting, state media. See some of what was caught on camera such as about 1:05 and on in the video.  I note, the narrator sounds very American, so surely, a lobbying effort.  Some graphic images, not too much. So, this indeed, would probably qualify as propaganda, that's not to say it can not still present some truths.

Sorry...

Then next, this is from that fellow Gulen's organization. Again, no endorsement as to their claims.
Was Turkey’s Coup For Real?
fgulen.com

Much speculation exists about the coup in Turkey on July 15, 2016. Some even call it a “false-coup,” which President Recep Tayyip Erdogan organized in order to justify a crackdown against oppositionists. There are many other instances when a military tried to remove the civilian head of government. Case studies suggest a pattern, which can be used to evaluate the events in Turkey one year ago.

When conducting a coup, the first action involves capturing or killing the head of government, in this instance Erdogan.

In parallel to killing or capturing the head of government, loyal military and security units must be immobilized to prevent them from obstructing the coup.

More reading: https://fgulen.com/en/what-went-wrong-with-turkey/51560-was-turkeys-coup-for-real

Huffington Post, actually, not too bad.

David L. Phillips,  Contributor
Director, Program on Peace-building and Rights, Institute for the Study of Human Rights, Columbia University

Was Turkey's Coup For Real?

Much speculation exists about the coup in Turkey on July 15, 2016. Some even call it a “false-coup,” which President Recep Tayyip Erdogan organized in order to justify a crackdown against oppositionists. There are many other instances when a military tried to remove the civilian head of government. Case studies suggest a pattern, which can be used to evaluate the events in Turkey one year ago.

When conducting a coup, the first action involves capturing or killing the head of government, in this instance Erdogan.

In parallel to killing or capturing the head of government, loyal military and security units must be immobilized to prevent them from obstructing the coup.

Read more at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/was-turkeys-coup-for-real_us_596cbc9ee4b06a2c8edb4815

And then, from Armstrong Economics, this article varies from the others in that it was published within days of the alleged coup, excerpted:

Turkey – Failed Coup – Real or Fake?
Posted Jul 20, 2016 by Martin Armstrong

ANSWER: Turkey has a history of military coups— 1960, 1971, and 1980. It has had two cycles running through its political history since the fall of the Ottoman Empire in 1920. The two cycles are 8.6-year based frequencies. The armistice of October 31, 1918, ended the fighting between the Ottoman Empire and the Allies. However, it did not bring peace to the region. The Sultan, Mehmed VI, feared he would be deposed, but the Allies knew he was a figurehead and hoped that his retention would ensure post-war stability. They did not want to cut off his head in fear that his replacement would be far worse.

In November 1919, the Ottoman government did nothing to stop the Allies. The Allies delayed the signing of the peace treaty known as the Treaty of Sèvres (1920) with the Ottoman Empire only because they were arguing among themselves over who would take what countries. The treaty was not signed until August 10, 1920, confirming French and British possession of Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, and Iraq in the guise of League of Nations mandates.

Sharif Hussein ibn Ali was rewarded for his leadership of the Arab Revolt with international recognition of the Hejaz as an independent kingdom. The treaty effectively gave the Greeks possession of eastern Thrace and ‘Ionia’ (western Anatolia); the Italians got the Dodecanese Islands and a ‘zone of influence’ in southwestern Anatolia. To the east, the Armenians were given an independent state, taking in much of eastern Anatolia, while the Kurds were granted an ill-defined autonomous region and promised a referendum on independence, which has yet to take place. The Ottoman state’s army was limited to 50,000 men and its navy to a dozen coastal patrol boats with no air force whatsoever.

Read more at: https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/middle_east/turkey-failed-coup-real-or-fake/

Turkey has had a number of coups, some bloodless as well, a film about a prior coup was being filmed, the below is a trailer for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hPWgdcA0bU

Shooting a film about a coup in Turkey - then the real shooting started
#Culture

Mahmut Fazil Coskun’s latest work is the rarest of beasts: an intelligent, subtle political film that does not reveal its cards too quickly..
https://www.middleeasteye.net/in-depth/features/shooting-a-film-about-a-coup-in-Turkey-then-the-real-shooting-started-338634064

I'm not totally convinced this isn't a comedy.  Yes, it's got to be a comedy, I'll bet it would be a fun watch.

As things could possibly heat up even more between Turkey, the Kurds and possibly the USA, it seemed timely to post this and watching some film is often a relaxing way to absorb information.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:38:02 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Was Turkey's Coup For Real?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:07:13 pm »
I don't think it was real.  It was a mighty convenient excuse to round up dissidents.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:22:18 pm »
I don't think it was real.  It was a mighty convenient excuse to round up dissidents.

Agreed.  And, that was the talk when it happened.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:47:43 am »
I remember where I was when this happened, right here. And GironL, how was it spelled? But that is what he was saying. Seemed like a nice guy, a bit biter. I"m sorry if he got out-of-hand. I hope he is fine.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 12:51:15 am »
I just heard, some associate of General Flynn was just indicted, I'm still checking on the charges... lobbying or other?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:54:25 am by TomSea »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 12:51:32 am »
I remember where I was when this happened, right here. And GironL, how was it spelled? But that is what he was saying. Seemed like a nice guy, a bit biter. I"m sorry if he got out-of-hand. I hope he is fine.

I see him from time to time on Bookface.  Seems OK.  His best bud Mikey really hates my guts, though.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 01:47:57 am »

Yeah, he was a bit of a biter. 

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 02:26:38 am »
Regarding Turkish politics:  I think Fatuleh Gulen is Turkish for Emmanuel Goldstein.

I'm not sure Erdogan really wants him extradited.  Finding "Gulenists" is just too handy an excuse for whatever repressive measures he wants to take.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.