Author Topic: Explaining the Left, Part V: Left v. Right Is Brain v. Mind  (Read 380 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Explaining the Left, Part V: Left v. Right Is Brain v. Mind
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:08:23 am »
By Dennis Prager

December 18, 2018 1:54 PM

Protestors demonstrate inside a Center City Starbucks, where two black men were arrested, in Philadelphia, Pa., on April 16, 2018. (Mark Makela/Reuters)

Even when propelled to do good, we cannot be guided by feelings.

When I talk to young people, I try to offer them what I was offered when I was their age but is rarely offered today: wisdom. ...

With the increasing secularization of society, less and less wisdom has been conveyed to young people. One particularly obvious example is most secular people, especially on the left, believe human beings are basically good. It is difficult to overstate the foolishness of this belief. And a belief it is: There is no evidence to support it, and there is overwhelming evidence — like virtually all of human history — to refute it. Jewish and Christian kids who study the Bible know how morally flawed human nature is by the age of ten.

Tragically, since the 1960s, the brain — i.e. feelings and instincts — has been valued far more than the mind.

That explains why, for 40 years, I have asked high-school seniors which they would save first if both were drowning, their dog or a stranger, and only one-third have voted to save the stranger. ...

On the most important issue in human life, determining what is right and what is wrong, the brain (feelings) has triumphed over the mind (reason and values). At least two generations of Americans have been raised not with moral instruction but with the question “How do you feel about it?”

Even when propelled to do good, we cannot be guided by feelings.
Comments   

It’s not only the human being that is driven by the conflict between feelings and reason. So is America.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/explaining-the-left-difference-between-brain-mind/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NR%20Daily%20Monday%20through%20Friday%202018-12-18&utm_term=NRDaily-Smart

Good article.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Explaining the Left, Part V: Left v. Right Is Brain v. Mind
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:20:50 am »
I have asked high-school seniors which they would save first if both were drowning, their dog or a stranger, and only one-third have voted to save the stranger

Ah a new take on the Kobayashi maru no-win scenario training exercise that tests ethical decision-making and leadership. 

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.