Author Topic: Lamar Alexander announces retirement from Senate  (Read 531 times)

Offline corbe

Lamar Alexander announces retirement from Senate
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:57:59 pm »
Lamar Alexander announces retirement from Senate

By Stephen Dinan   - The Washington Times - Monday, December 17, 2018 

Sen. Lamar Alexander said Monday he won’t seek re-election in 2020, in the first big GOP retirement of the new election cycle.

A three-term senator, former Tennessee governor and former Education secretary for the first Bush administration, Mr. Alexander had been a studious voice for Republicans, but said he’s amassed more time as governor and senator than anyone else in state history.

“I am deeply grateful, but now it is time for someone else to have that privilege,” he said.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/17/lamar-alexander-announces-retirement-senate/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Lamar Alexander announces retirement from Senate
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
He is 78 y/o.  Prolly doesn't want to die in office. 

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:03:44 pm »
He is 78 y/o.  Prolly doesn't want to die in office.

Funny. I thought he was already dead.....

.....then again, dead men don't wear plaid.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »
Funny. I thought he was already dead.....

.....then again, dead men don't wear plaid.

Hilary should take up that fashion trend in her Muumuu's and pant suits.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:43:47 pm »
Alexander was sworn in as Governor of Tennessee 3 days earlier than scheduled in 1979, because his Democrat predecessor Ray Blanton had sold pardons.  As the facts of Blanton's activities became clear a bi-partisan consensus emerged that Blanton had to be removed from office as quickly as possible to prevent additional pardon-selling.  I don't know how all the legal details were worked, but state office holders in both parties cooperated to seat Alexander in the governor's mansion ahead of schedule.

One of the local Nashville radio stations cut a satirical song to the tune of "Chattanooga Choo Choo" - "Pardon me Ray, are the the cat who signs the pardons?...."

Alexander served Tennessee with decorum, but the times have long called for the virtue of excessive decorum to be re-considered in light of the need for clarity, in my opinion.  Trump's ascendancy, and strength in Tennessee specifically, indicate that many others agree.

I wish Alexander well in retirement.
James 1:20

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 08:50:38 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34