Author Topic: Rush: Nobody in Washington Wants Trump’s Wall  (Read 401 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rush: Nobody in Washington Wants Trump’s Wall
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:54:07 pm »

Nobody in Washington Wants Trump’s Wall

Dec 18, 2018

RUSH: Now, about the wall funding, there’s news on that, and it isn’t… (sigh) It isn’t good. Sarah Sanders apparently said today that the Trump administration is willing to take less than $5 billion in order to get the wall built. Of course, there’s nobody in that town that wants it. We’re always talking about Pelosi and Chuck. You know, Chuck and Nancy. Nobody wants the wall. There isn’t a single person, and the reason they don’t want the wall is because they don’t want Trump to get it.

It’s that simple. It has nothing to do with the issue and has nothing to do with stemming the tide of illegal immigration. They just don’t want Trump to get it. So I don’t know what backing down from the $5 billion… Sarah Huckabee Sanders said a few minutes ago that the White House could back down from its demand for $5 billion in border wall funding in this year-end spending bill.

If that’s true, it means the Democrats can get pretty much what they want and block anything they don’t want simply by promising to shut down the government, ’cause that’s what’s on the table. “We’re gonna shut down the government! Shut down…” “Okay! Well, we’ll reduce the demand.” Why not just go with the enlarged defense budget and take the $5 billion out of the defense budget to build the wall like they said they were gonna do when Chuck and Nancy first presented their blockade of this?

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Kalamazoo, Michigan, first up. Hello, Bill. Great to have you with us, sir.

CALLER: Good afternoon, Rush. About Trump’s changes to the funding for the border wall, this is reminding me too much… You know how everybody’s been musing about George H. W. Bush recently. Well, this move, if it’s played out according to what you’re saying, I think that Trump may have killed off his chance for a second term in the same way that George H. W. Bush ran on the platform of no new taxes and then when he backed off of that during his term. He lost his support.

RUSH: Yeah. I totally get where you’re coming from. Let me try something with you here, though. I have spoken on previous occasions of Trump “pacing,” and the most recent example… Maybe not the most recent, but a very recent example is Christine Blasey Ford. Now, granted, that’s not an issue on which Trump ran for election and won. But after she came forward and said whatever it was she said, Trump’s first reaction was to say he found her very compelling, and that if there’s truths to what she said, that Kavanaugh’s gone.

Remember, a lot of people said, “What do you mean, if she…?” He does it all the time. When the first discussions of repeal and replace Obamacare came out, Trump said some things that made it sound like he was perfectly willing to compromise with Democrats on it. If I applied myself, I could think of five or six of these. There’s actually a very good one that’s not coming to my mind right now, and it was an issue before Christine Blasey Ford came in.

What always happens is that after these initial statements… Remember, it was Sarah Sanders on Fox today who said that the White House could back down from its demand for $5 billion in border wall funding in a year-end spending bill. Look, the only reason to do this… If they’re serious, the only reason to do this is fear of government shutdown. The ironic thing about this is that polling data is finally starting to show (even in the AP) that government shutdowns have lost their impact in terms of benefiting the Democrats.

There have been so many of ’em, there have been so many threats, and nothing happens. It’s like for 20 years the Democrats told senior citizens, “If you vote for Republicans, you’re gonna lose your Social Security! They’re gonna kick you out of your house,” and Republicans won elections and nothing ever happened to people’s Social Security. Seasoned citizens finally stopped listening to Democrats, and the polling data suggests much the same thing is happening here with this never-ending, “Republicans want to shut down the government and deny you your benefits.”

You’ve got Elijah Cummings of the Congressional Black Caucasians is out there saying if the government shuts down, government employees will not have any money to buy toys for their kids this Christmas. Are you kidding me? If they haven’t already bought toys for their kids, I got a clue: Your kids are not getting any toys. It’s December 18th, for crying out loud! They wouldn’t be losing any money any time soon. This is all smoke and mirrors and made up. Trump has… I developed a term for this called “pacing.”

Trump’s initial statement on something is to make it sound like he’s acquiescing or participating or cooperating and then he always retreats back to his original position of “no deal.” Now, I was at the White House yesterday. That’s why I wasn’t here. There was a beautiful White House Christmas reception yesterday from 4 to 8 p.m. I was there, and I got there earlier by request, and I… (chuckles) Look, this is not what I heard yesterday. All I can tell you, it’s not what I heard — or last night.

When I saw Sarah Huckabee Sanders on TV today, when I saw her saying that, I said, “I heard the exact opposite last night.” I don’t mean to be getting anybody in trouble here. But remember the original option on the table from Trump was, “If Chuck and Nancy wouldn’t cooperate, we’ll just expand the defense budget by $37 billion and take five of that 37, $5 billion of that and build a wall with it.” Even if the defense budget doesn’t expand by 37 just take $5 billion. There’s $5 billion in defense budget somewhere. Just take that.

That was what Trump was gonna do to get the wall built under the premise that the president can take whatever action necessary he deems necessary for national security. So I know this looks like “Read my lips: No new taxes” and caving on it. I know it does. I’m not here to defend it, either. Don’t misunderstand. I’m just telling you that it’s not unusual for Trump to do this. Now, on this issue it’s very alarming because this is the issue that got him elected. This is an issue that your supporters are saying, “Don’t tease us! Don’t play games on this. Stay straight.”

I’m sure that’s what a lot of you are thinking. I understand it.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: This is Troy in Queen Creek, Arizona. Hi, Troy. Thank you for calling, sir.

CALLER: Hey, Rush. Thanks for taking my call. Yeah, so I’m a married Millennial dad, two young boys, a beautiful wife, in a border state, here, Rush, and the reason why I voted and so many people that I know voted for Trump is for border security and illegal immigration. And I know that was a staple of his campaign, and I say it’s a staple of his presidency, and I say, “Shut it down.” Shut the government down, roll with the punches and, you know, just show us that that’s the reason why we voted you in. I think it’s paramount to his reelection.

RUSH: You think his presidency’s on the line now because you’re afraid he’s caving?

CALLER: I’m afraid he’s caving, Rush, yeah. I woke up this morning, I read the news, and I saw that the bill may be off the table — you know, the amount of money and the construction of the wall — and it just made me a little disheartened. I’m such a huge Trump supporter, and I just don’t like seeing that.

RUSH: What did you…? Are you referring to Sarah Sanders, that story, saying that maybe they would come down off the $5 billion, or did you see something else that has you concerned?

CALLER: I did, yes. That and the Drudge Report. I read that quite a bit.

RUSH: Let’s see. What did the the Drudge… Hang on a minute. Let me call to make sure ’cause I like to know what my callers… It says, “Wall Funding off Table.” Is that the headline that you saw?

CALLER: That’s one of the ones I read, yeah.

RUSH: Let me click on it and see what it goes to, ’cause that will tell us everything. Who is this? Okay. It’s CNBC. “White House Suggests it Could Back Down on $5 Billion…” That’s the Sarah Sanders. Essentially that’s what she said on Fox this morning.

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: And I don’t know if this is shutdown related or not. Again, I don’t know if this is just Trump… Look, Republicans have an instinctive fear of government shutdowns and the fact that they’re gonna lose them. Even though there’s a poll out today cited this last hour the AP, the American people no longer have this conventional wisdom view that government shutdowns are the result of Republicans being mean-spirited extremists or any of that.

It doesn’t have the… The world doesn’t end when these things happen, you know, the Democrats can’t keep getting away with, “Your life ends if the government shuts down,” because nothing happens. Life goes on. So it could just be that Trump is trying to show his willingness to cooperate, to show that the Democrats won’t… Look, I’m here to tell you, Troy — and I’m not trying to talk you out of anything; please don’t misunderstand.

I’m just here to tell you, there isn’t a single person in that town that wants this wall. No, I take it back. Some House Freedom Caucus members are hell-bent on getting it. Jim Jordan and Mark Meadows are insistent on getting the wall built. Outside of those two and Trump and maybe some stragglers in the House, nobody in that town wants this wall. Now, don’t misunderstand my telling you that. I’m just trying to give you an idea of the obstacle this is.

There isn’t anybody in that town that wants this. Trump is all alone in this, and I don’t know whether he is simply making this statement and sends Sarah Sanders out there to send a signal that the White House willing to cooperate with the Democrats so that ultimately the Democrats are shown to be the immovable objects. It’s not the first time, if that’s what’s happening. I can just tell you, I was there yesterday.

By the way, speaking… Troy, thanks for the call. “I feel you,” as they say. I understand your queasiness.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2018/12/18/nobody-in-washington-wants-the-wall/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34