Author Topic: Trump was at August 2015 meeting about hush money payments, source says  (Read 1733 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Trump was at August 2015 meeting about hush money payments, source says
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 06:53:10 pm »
If he wants to pay hush money, as opposed to going to the police or dealing with it in public, he should pay with his own money and disclose it as a potential campaign contribution.
But it's not a potential campaign contribution. It's just a stupid non-disclosure payment - from his own pocket - from one silly person to another.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 06:56:02 pm »
I may be wrong, but I think it is the case that Trump reimbursed American Media from his own pocket.   If that's correct, how was this a campaign contribution?   

Can you even imagine how many dirty politicians spent the peoples' money to get themselves out of jams created by their own lust and lack of self control?  But they used a well-known mob tactic called money laundering.  By the time the money got to those hard-working girls it was as clean as a new tuxedo shirt.

This is not even something normal people would get into.

I'm not talking about cases of sexual harassment or abuse.  We had a two-term president who wrote the book on that and all his impeachment proceeding did was provide good television including a great speech by Henry Hyde.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 07:16:48 pm »
Which is why I specifically asked for a hypothetical instead of some generalization.  The flaw with the generalization here is that it assumes ANY expenditure by a political candidate can be construed as a campaign expense.  You bought a new suit?  Felony for not properly disclosing it.  You paid off back taxes?  Felony for not properly disclosing it.  You got your private jet repainted?  Felony for not properly disclosing it.  You got your daughter's braces replaced with clear ones that are less unsightly?  Felony for not properly disclosing it.  Dyed your hair?  Felony for not properly disclosing it.  Donated money to Toys for Tots?  Felony for not properly disclosing it.

Each and every one of these could be construed as a campaign donation if we are to use the very loose (and unequally applied) definition posed by liberals in this case.  Of course Democrats can continue to hand out bags of cash (i.e. "street money") to get out the vote, and not one of these same liberals even remotely suggests that there is anything illegal about that.

We've known forever that these types of laws can, and are, used as weapons and not for the reasons we're told they're needed.  Usually they're used against us peons, so it delights me a bit when they are used against the muckity mucks that foist them upon us.  Besides that, if the muckity mucks are too stupid to see what is happening and do something about it, they deserve what they get.

The problem isn't that the vague law is being used against Trump, the problem is that the law is there to begin with.