Author Topic: In rebuke to Trump, Senate votes to halt US support for Saudi-led war in Yemen, names crown prince a  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

In rebuke to Trump, Senate votes to halt US support for Saudi-led war in Yemen, names crown prince as responsible for Khashoggi death

Deirdre Shesgreen, USA TODAYPublished 3:23 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2018 | Updated 6:49 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2018

WASHINGTON – In a historic bipartisan rebuke of the president and a marked shift in the long-standing U.S. alliance with Saudi Arabia, the Senate voted Thursday to try to force the Trump administration to end its military support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

Although the measure will stall in the House for now, the Senate's 56-41 vote carried extraordinary significance – marking the first time the Senate has invoked Congress' war powers to challenge U.S. military involvement abroad. The step was both a condemnation of Saudi Arabia's execution of the Yemen war – which has killed thousands of civilians and created a humanitarian catastrophe – and of the kingdom's role in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online DB

Offline Chosen Daughter

Iran.

Yes, Iran.

Isn't it funny that our government is more than willing to protect Iranian interests and terrorists but they could care less about protecting our borders.

I hope nobody is planning on driving anywhere this summer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:38:41 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In rebuke to Trump, Senate votes to halt US support for Saudi-led war in Yemen, names crown prince as responsible for Khashoggi death

Deirdre Shesgreen, USA TODAYPublished 3:23 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2018 | Updated 6:49 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2018

WASHINGTON – In a historic bipartisan rebuke of the president and a marked shift in the long-standing U.S. alliance with Saudi Arabia,
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/

It'll be a miracle if we survive this Senate.

Offline Frank Cannon

the Senate's 56-41 vote carried extraordinary significance

Really? In what alternate universe does this matter a hill of bean? It is going nowhere. The shitbag losers in the GOP who pimped it (Flake) will be turning tricks on a street corner next months and no one outside of these professional losers and the MSM care about this fat terrorist creep who was chopped up.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Offline Chosen Daughter

Really? In what alternate universe does this matter a hill of bean? It is going nowhere. The shitbag losers in the GOP who pimped it (Flake) will be turning tricks on a street corner next months and no one outside of these professional losers and the MSM care about this fat terrorist creep who was chopped up.

Don't forget Lindsey Graham.  He is pissed at this administration.  See video I posted of him today.

This guy was a terrorist.  Had ties to bin laden.  Then he supposedly went secular.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:41:07 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Sorry...

Pretty much nails it.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Don't forget Lindsey Graham.  He is pissed at this administration.  See video I posted of him today.

This guy was a terrorist.  Had ties to bin laden.  Then he supposedly went secular.

Bin Laden was in the Mujahadin that the USA supported, so in a way, you can say, we supported bin Laden. Kashoggi was over there as a reporter.

Besides, if the accusations on the Crown Prince stick, he might not have any friends and we might look silly supporting him.

Enough of us supporting the wrong side or things that go bad, like we asked Mubarak to step down in Egypt and that led to a lot of turbulence over there.

Rubio has it right.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:17:23 am by TomSea »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Bin Laden was in the Mujahadin that the USA supported, so in a way, you can say, we supported bin Laden. Kashoggi was over there as a reporter.

Besides, if the accusations on the Crown Prince stick, he might not have any friends and we might look silly supporting him.

Enough of us supporting the wrong side or things that go bad, like we asked Mubarak to step down in Egypt and that led to a lot of turbulence over there.

Rubio has it right.

If the accusations stick..................  Supporting the wrong side............

We voted on an if?  And I don't know how you could think that we are supporting the wrong side.  It is Iran.  Death to America and Israel Iran.  And the Houthi Rebels.  Terrorists who got their start from Obama's Arab Spring. 

Boy were we in a huge hurry to vote on this garbage.  We can't even support our own country by securing our borders, but we can pull support of Saudi Arabia so that Iran and a bunch of terrorists can gain ground in Yemen.

Is the Prince as dangerous as Iran?

State Department says planned Senate vote is sending the 'wrong message' on Yemen

•The State Department has expressed frustration with Senate moves to cut U.S. support for the Saudi-led offensive in Yemen.
•The bipartisan Senate resolution represents an unprecedented effort to invoke Congress's war powers to end U.S. activity that was started under the Obama administration without the authorization of Congress.
•The White House argues that success of such a vote would empower Iran, Saudi Arabia's regional arch-rival and the backer of Yemen's Houthi rebels, who took over the country's capital of Sanaa in late 2014.

The bipartisan resolution, sponsored by Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), calls for ending U.S. refueling of Saudi fighter jets and withdrawing U.S. military presence from the area, among other demands. Support for ending involvement in Yemen, which has gained ground in recent months, is at an all-time high amid anger over the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which lawmakers and U.S. intelligence believe was directed by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/11/yemen-war-state-department-says-senate-vote-sends-wrong-message.html

Nothing like continuing Obama's agenda of terrorist Arab Spring.  Allowing Iran to gain influence in the ME.     
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:39:23 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Feb. 1, 2018 / 4:11 PM PST / Updated Feb. 1, 2018 / 4:11 PM PST

By Courtney Kube, Robert Windrem and William M. Arkin

The U.S. military drastically stepped up its air campaign in Yemen last year, conducting more than six times as many airstrikes as in 2016, according to data from U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM).

In addition to the airstrikes, the Pentagon also acknowledges there is now a small intermittent U.S. military presence inside Yemen.

In 2017, the U.S. military carried out 131 airstrikes, both manned and unmanned, against al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) and ISIS in Yemen, the data shows. That's up from 21 strikes in 2016, the last year of the Obama administration. There have been at least 10 additional strikes since Jan. 1.

The airstrikes were carried out by drones, AC-130 gunships and fighter-bombers.

A senior U.S. intelligence official said the increased level of activity "has killed fighters, eviscerated AQAP's propaganda network, cut off external support and enabled UAE partners to regain territory."

The official confirmed an earlier U.S. military report that more than 50 ISIS fighters were killed in one October raid alone.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/mideast/u-s-airstrikes-yemen-have-increased-sixfold-under-trump-n843886

Yeah we surely don't want to be against ISIS and Al Qaeda.  That would be bad right? (sarcasm)

This is one time I will be on Trumps side.  Even though his best bud Lindsey Graham is doing all he can to throw Trump under the bus on this.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Why can't the Senate do something important like work toward a secure American border?  Nothing better to do than come to the aid of Iran?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

IKR?  In less than a month the Senate will have the winnings of the last election, and Trump will be rebuked by 2 fewer Senators.  MAGA

Offline Chosen Daughter

IKR?  In less than a month the Senate will have the winnings of the last election, and Trump will be rebuked by 2 fewer Senators.  MAGA

I think that all of Trumps rhetoric and no action led to loosing the House and dividing the Senate.

Offline Frank Cannon

Last I checked the Senate got a whole lot more Trumpier this cycle. Can you name which of these new GOP Senators that are going to sign on to this fluff?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Last I checked the Senate got a whole lot more Trumpier this cycle. Can you name which of these new GOP Senators that are going to sign on to this fluff?
@Amb. Frank Cannon
The vote was 56-41.  The GOP added 2 seats.  That math is too hard for you?

Offline Frank Cannon

@Amb. Frank Cannon
The vote was 56-41.  The GOP added 2 seats.  That math is too hard for you?

So all the same people like Bob Corker are going to be back next session? Did not know that.