Author Topic: Hmm: Can't House Republicans Just Pass Trump's $5 Billion Wall Funding Request? Guy Benson Guy Benso  (Read 918 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hmm: Can't House Republicans Just Pass Trump's $5 Billion Wall Funding Request?
Guy Benson

@guypbenson
|
Posted: Dec 12, 2018 2:30 PM

The answer to the question posed in my headline is 'yes' -- theoretically.  The GOP still controls the House of Representatives for the next few weeks, so if (still) Speaker Ryan and company can get their caucus in line, they could simply pass a DHS appropriation that meets the president's full request on wall funding.  That would not only fortify Trump's bargaining position and apply pressure to Senate Democrats, it would also embarrass incoming Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who just taunted her Republican colleagues for not having the votes.  And the next House Republican leader is telling reporters that he's "100 percent" confident that he does have the votes:

Felicia Sonmez
✔
@feliciasonmez

McCarthy tells Fox News tonight that he has the votes for a House bill with $5 billion in wall funding. Q: Are you 100% confident? McCarthy: "Yes, I am."
Paul Kane
✔
@pkcapitol

For what it's worth, it's very doubtful that Ryan/McCarthy have 218 votes on their side a gov't funding bill, even one including $5b for the wall.
Some conservatives will balk at other spending, moderates will oppose the wall & some midterm losers might not show to vote.
6:59 PM - Dec 11, 2018

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/12/12/hmm-can-house-republicans-pass-trumps-5-billion-wall-funding-request-n2537404
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
That money needs to go towards protecting other nations.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That money needs to go towards protecting other nations.
There is no Constitutional mandate for our Federal Government to protect other nations.
There is, however, a Constitutional mandate to protect these United States from invasion.

Simple as that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

This is just GOP smoke and mirrors. They know the Dems will kill the spending later for a wall if the Republicans approve it now. If the GOP really wanted to do this they would have done it 2 years ago. They do it now because they know it is safe from actually happening while scoring political points for "trying".

I'm done being played for a fool by these people.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Enough of this BS!   How about a national lottery?

Call it .....  'POWERWALL'!!!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Needs to be a way to get campaign promises in Writing, signed and officially dated.

Then personally sue the SOBs for Breach of Contract.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Needs to be a way to get campaign promises in Writing, signed and officially dated.

Then personally sue the SOBs for Breach of Contract.

Too many variables, @To-Whose-Benefit?

We don't elect kings and queens.  Or Fuerhrers.

I would agree if the POTUS' political party holds super majorities in both Houses.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
There is no Constitutional mandate for our Federal Government to protect other nations.
There is, however, a Constitutional mandate to protect these United States from invasion.

Simple as that.

Agreed. We should oust the people that want to waste our tax dollars on international bullshit.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This is just GOP smoke and mirrors. They know the Dems will kill the spending later for a wall if the Republicans approve it now. If the GOP really wanted to do this they would have done it 2 years ago. They do it now because they know it is safe from actually happening while scoring political points for "trying".

I'm done being played for a fool by these people.

Are you sure about that, @Dexter ?? 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DB

Are you sure about that, @Dexter ??

You think I'm Dexter?

LOL!

Online libertybele

Simple as that.

Exactly.  The US spends $81 billion a year just to protect global oil supplies. 

We are extremely generous with our money. Here are the top 10 recipients of US foreign aid (and we give to other countries).  Ironic isn't it, that we give billions to other countries yet, our President can't get 5 billion to build a wall to protect our country.  What's wrong with that picture?

10) Iraq – $347.9 million

9)  Nigeria – $419.1 million

8)  Zambia – $428.9 million

7)  Uganda – $436.4 million

6)  Tanzania – $535.3 million

5)  Kenya – $639.4 million

4)  Afghanistan – $782.8 million

3)  Jordan – $1 billion

2)  Egypt – $1.39 billion

1)  Israel – $3.1 billion

https://borgenproject.org/top-10-recipients-of-u-s-foreign-aid/

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/us-spends-81-billion-a-year-to-protect-oil-supplies-report-estimates.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:10:28 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

Republicans are stupid enough to think that if they build a wall, illegals will stop voting for them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Agreed. We should oust the people that want to waste our tax dollars on international bullshit.

Especially all that Euro-war-on-carbon bullshit.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-